npgraphicdesign

Good starter bike

I think I've gotten to the point where I am tired of keeping a car in the city (NYC) and I'm thinking of selling at getting a bike. I'd like to hear responses from the following people.

1. Those who think that I am nuts to want to keep a car in the city that think I should sell the car and keep the money for a rainy day.

2. Those who think that I am nuts for wanting to trade my car for a bike in the city and either keep my car, or sell it and keep the money for a rainy day.

3. Those who think it's actually a GOOD idea seeing as parking will be a bit easier.

4. Those who think I'm nuts in general.

:P:ph34r:

BUT...in case you don't fit into any of the aforementioned categories, what do you think would be a good starter bike? B|

For city combat riding, you should look at something like a SV650. You can find them used and they'll have plenty of power for getting out of trouble.

I ride a ST1300 in heavy traffic and am required to do some interesting things with that bike in that heavy traffic (it has a lot of extra gear and weighs in around 900lbs).
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

No bigger than a 600 as a so called starter bike (preferably a little smaller). A 600 is plenty fast. LOL ... but don't confuse me as some bike nazi. If someone really wants to kill themselves they should be able to do it just as long as they do not take anyone else with them. :)

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

No bigger than a 600 as a so called starter bike (preferably a little smaller). A 600 is plenty fast. LOL ... but don't confuse me as some bike nazi. If someone really wants to kill themselves they should be able to do it just as long as they do not take anyone else with them. :)

You mean the attached is too fast? :P:D

Kawasaki Ninja, 250R or 500R (NOT one of the bigger ones).

While it sounds like a sports bike (and looks a little like a sports bike), the smaller ones are really a good entry level bike. You sit more upright than a full sport bike, and they have a great power range - not too much for a beginner rider (I'm assuming you are a beginner rider here; ignore the recommendation if I'm wrong), but they both have a power band at higher rpm's that will keep them fun for a few years.

Parts are cheap; you can find these bikes everywhere new and used. They hold their value well - when you do outgrow it, you can sell it at a reasonable price and upgrade.

Motorcycle Safety Foundation has EXCELLENT courses. Take the Basic Safety Course as part of getting your license, and consider taking the advanced classes as you progress.

Again, I'm assuming you are a new rider. When I was, the best advice I ever got was to NOT get a bike that was too big - it's easy to get into trouble.

I now ride a Buell Ulysses (1203 cc) but am VERY glad I spent my first few years on a Ninja 500R.

For city combat riding, you should look at something like a SV650. You can find them used and they'll have plenty of power for getting out of trouble.

You're not a short guy Nicci, so a small bike like a 250 would be a bit tedious for you
I agree with Dave on the SV650, the BEST all rounder mid size bike build in the last 20 year.

Cheap to run, loads of power, fun to ride, V twin motor, cheap to service. Excelant handling, and will see you good for quite a few years.
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

To continue the idea on training:

The MSF course is only the beginning of learning. The advanced course is nearly a joke it is so easy, but it still out steps most rider's ability! There are further courses and things to learn after you take both of those courses.

Also, Proficient Motorcycling is an excellent book for a beginner to read as well!
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Ninja 250r
Honda CBR 250
Suzuki GS500

SV650 is probably a little much for a first bike and I'd definitely stay away from a supersport.

I rode a GS500 for about 8 months and could ride the piss out of it in the hills NW of San Antonio. The only thing I couldn't keep up with was in top speed, but that baby could throw itself around the corners like no ones business.

After 8 months I sold it and upgraded to a Triumph Street Triple R.

Think of upsizing to a bigger bike like downsizing to a smaller canopy, i.e. no reason to go bigger unless you're wringing every last bit of performance out of your current model.

+1 for the sv650. Amazing commuter bike. Lots of low end power and plenty for a novice rider. I've had mine for a few years now and am only now considering a change

I've had my SV650 for 6 years now, that I use for commuting, and although having a newer, cooler bike (ie a Hypermotard) would be nice lol), i can fin no real logical reasons to upgrade.

It's pretty light

For a smaller bike, it's fine for my 6'2 220lbs

It handles great it traffic, and on the highway

It has all the power and speed than you will need without being a hard to control bike

It's cheap to maintain

It's cheap to repair if you drop it (no plastic), and odds are, as your 1st bike, you probably will
Remster

You're not a short guy Nicci,

In that case a Super-Moto style bike (essentially a trail bike with road tyres) would be great for the city .... KTM do some great bikes as do Husky (Husqvarna)

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

In that case a Super-Moto style bike (essentially a trail bike with road tyres) would be great for the city .... KTM do some great bikes as do Husky (Husqvarna)

^^ this.

Sports bikes in a city are a pain in the neck, and back and wrists and arse and...

Things to look for in a commuter bike are maneuverability, comfort, decent low reving performance and panniers/hardbox for storage. Storage is probably the biggest problem with commuting by bike and a hard box allows you to put your leathers and helmet on the bike without having to worry about them. Heated grips are very good for commuting where the temperatures drop.

BMW do some good bikes, the SV650 is good. I had a Yamaha Fazer which was ok for commuting. Yamaha Diversion is brilliant for commuting and very comfortable (I think it replaces the Fazer).

I am loath to suggest them as I think they are pretty gay but the larger scooters are probably most practical.

Are you allowed to filter in traffic in New York? If you are then smaller is way better, possibly even down to a 125 super-moto style bike.

As already mentioned stay away from supersports.
Experienced jumper - someone who has made mistakes more often than I have and lived.

Things to look for in a commuter bike are maneuverability, comfort, decent low reving performance and panniers/hardbox for storage. Storage is probably the biggest problem with commuting by bike and a hard box allows you to put your leathers and helmet on the bike without having to worry about them. Heated grips are very good for commuting where the temperatures drop.

BMW do some good bikes, the SV650 is good. I had a Yamaha Fazer which was ok for commuting. Yamaha Diversion is brilliant for commuting and very comfortable (I think it replaces the Fazer).

[pink]I am loath to suggest them as I think they are pretty gay but the larger scooters are probably most practical. [/pink]:P:P:P:P

Are you allowed to filter in traffic in New York? If you are then smaller is way better, possibly even down to a 125 super-moto style bike.

As already mentioned stay away from supersports.

(.)Y(.)

I have a Kawasaki Ninja 250R. It's my first bike and I think it's great to learn on... Looks sporty-ish, light and easy to handle, not very "nervous" and can comfortably do highway speeds, doesn't cost an arm and a leg and holds its value pretty well. 99% of non-bikers will not even realise it's a small bike. HOWEVER, my ex rode it once and he is TALL and he *did* look a bit gay on it...

Let me just say that if you can, try to rent a couple of different models before you go and buy a shiny new ride... At least if you crash a couple of times it's a rental so you won't be completely heart-broken!! IMO, it's better to rent something for at least a weekend than just take it for a 15 minute spin... You'll get a better idea of what riding position you like, how different bikes handle, et cetera.

ETA - just realised you would have the bike in NYC... What are ya gonna do with it in the winter? Do you have a place to park it (indoors)??
"There is no problem so bad you can't make it worse."
- Chris Hadfield
« Sors le martinet et flagelle toi indigne contrôleuse de gestion. »
- my boss

[pink]I am loath to suggest them as I think they are pretty gay but the larger scooters are probably most practical. [/pink]

I see you aren't arguing about them being most practical though:P

Not that I am going to ever give in and ride one - only step down in manliness from there is the new fangled bikes with two front wheels:S

Experienced jumper - someone who has made mistakes more often than I have and lived.

Absolutely not ... I was given the Suzuki 400 (Burgman) a couple of years ago, whilst my R6 was being serviced...... I larf'd but the mechanic said 'Just you wait!!'.

It was a monster!! in sheep's clothing.... very YELLOW - and very fast (just don't 'try' to use a clutch!! or you'll go arse-over-tit!!!)

(.)Y(.)