square3

ZP or F1-11 Pilot Chute?

You can call me most anything and I won't care. But I really take offense at being called a "nazi" anything.

[sincerity on]
Since I posted in open forum I'll apologise in same.
Sparky, please excuse me and my ignorance, I in no way meant to offend you. The reference was meant to be taken in a jovial light hearted manner, which is the spirit it was posted in.
I'm sorry that it offended you.:)[sincerity off]

What would have been a better term, Profile Police? Personal History hound?;):P

[sincerity on]
Thank you, that was very gracious of you. Apology accepted.
[sincerity off]

Anything, just don't call me late for "green light":P (no, gracious does not mean you eat with cows)

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

Yes,
This is a post to gather information on preferences regarding F111 and ZP pilot chutes. This stems from what we have seen as a widespread move to ZP pc's, possibly following the popularity of ZP canopies. ZP canopies are certainly main stream and have taken over the sport canopy market for the most part. But is it a better pilot chute? We have discussed this with several manufacturers and have gathered some information we would like to share:
* Due to the porosity of the fabric, F111 pc's inflate more smoothly with a better launch of the d-bag.
* F111 pc's are less susceptable to premature deployment from slipping out of a BOC. This varies depending on the size and construction of the container and its BOC.
* F111 pc's are more forgiving to slight imperfections in construction regarding symetry. As pilot chutes are hand sewn, and there are numerious after market manufacturers, there is a greater possibility for imperfections in cutting, sewing, etc. These imperfections, have the potential to effect the deployment of the bag and are enhanced when ZP fabric is used.
* With the advances in F111 fabric, F111 pc's are leaving the factory as a less porus material than they were 15 years ago, and therefore have a longer useful life span than those F111 pilot chutes from the "golden ages."
* Given the decreased porosity of the fabric, it is more likely that the mesh and/or bridle/kill-line will wear out before the F111 fabric will.

Sizing is a whole other discussion.
We are not stating that ZP pilot chutes are ineffective or 'bad' equipment, just some of what appears to be common misconceptions regarding F111 pilot chutes.
Safe Swoops,
Mary & Al

(and to set peoples mind at ease, we filled out our profile;)).
Life causes death....Everybody Panic!!

I guess you are aware of the importance of the PC in the BASE environment.

Virtually all BASE manufactures chose Z-Po to fabricate their PCs. If F-111 was that much better, as you claim it is, they would use it instead of Z-Po.

If you asked me I stick with Z-po.
Memento Audere Semper

Virtually all BASE manufactures chose Z-Po to fabricate their PCs. If F-111 was that much better, as you claim it is, they would use it instead of Z-Po.

Comparing BASE situations with skydiving conditions is apples and oranges. In BASE you do not go 120+ mph and in skydiving they do not deploy at 20 mph. What works well for one does not mean it will work for the other.

Sparky

I've got a mix of ZP and F111 BASE pilot chutes.
All of my unvented BASE PCs are F111. One reason is that, all other things being equal, F111 PCs are less likely to cause an off heading opening in the *BASE* environment.

As far as skydiving goes, I'm generally ok with either. ZP lasts a little longer, but the kill line shrinks and wears at the same rate, and F111 is less likely to slip out of the pocket.
-Josh
If you have time to panic, you have time to do something more productive. -Me*
*Ron has accused me of plagiarizing this quote. He attributes it to Douglas Adams.

In BASE you do not go 120+ mph and in skydiving they do not deploy at 20 mph.

In BASE we do pull at 120 MPH hence the 32-34" PC.

BASE is not just 2-3 sec delays.

In skydiving we do pull at speeds half of terminal velocities, not at 20 but around 60 is very normal for a H&P out a slow flying aricraft.
Memento Audere Semper

In BASE you do not go 120+ mph and in skydiving they do not deploy at 20 mph.

In BASE we do pull at 120 MPH hence the 32-34" PC.

BASE is not just 2-3 sec delays.

In skydiving we do pull at speeds half of terminal velocities, not at 20 but around 60 is very normal for a H&P out a slow flying aricraft.

What A/C do you exit a 60 mph, and how often to you reach 120 on a BASE jump? That is around a 12 sec. or better delay.

Sparky

I'm a relatively new, but I was under the impression that ZP PC's gave a faster opening, which is important in BASE. While my knowledge is small, this is not a logical argument for using it on a skydiving rig, where a slower steadier PC might be preferable.
--------------------------------------------------
Practise the 6 P's!
--------------------------------------------------