Zep

Need a suitable punishment

As the parent it was your job to teach your child about all hazards before they happened. For example you should teach your child about guns and how to safely handle them, even if you against them. Some day they might run into one, and burning down your house is the least of your worries if she shoots her self or some one else.

If anyone should be in trouble it should be you. Your the reason she didn't handle fire safely. I think she has lost enough of her stuff as punishment and knows that she did something wrong.

You should sit in time out~
Cheers

Jon W

As the parent it was your job to teach your child about all hazards before they happened. For example you should teach your child about guns and how to safely handle them, even if you against them. Some day they might run into one, and burning down your house is the least of your worries if she shoots her self or some one else.

If anyone should be in trouble it should be you. Your the reason she didn't handle fire safely. I think she has lost enough of her stuff as punishment and knows that she did something wrong.

You should sit in time out~

Bull shit

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

If it's ok with the repair guy have her help him carry the garbage out of the room and new material back in. Not only will she realize the physical destructive capabilities of fire but may learn a thing or two about home repair.

Also why not both of you volunteer for the local red cross collecting goods for those who have lost their homes to fire or other.

And yeah, give her a hug man....she's your kid and yeah she did something dumb but she could have died and well...that would not have been good.

Shah, I think you've hit close to the mark here. It was a dumb, dumb mistake, but a mistake none the less. We all need to learn to fix our mistakes, to clean up after our mistakes. Unless there was malicious intent or outright rebellion against previous rules, punishment seems wrong to me.

She should put in many hours of labor cleaning up and helping repair what has happened. Perhaps many hours of labor in the family restaurant would help pay the cost of repairs too. I'm thinking, and I may be wrong, that she's feeling quite guilty about starting the fire, and not showing remorse externally is a big defensive reaction. She would probably be glad to "do penance" by helping fix the mess she's made.

And yes, a big hug and "I'm glad you're okay" would be appropriate too.

So what you're sayin' is that nail polish is flammable??? >:(

You could always just cut off her toes... no toes, no need for toenail polish.:P

Or there's this option: Clicky:D

Some people refrain from beating a dead horse. Personally, I find a myriad of entertainment value when beating it until it becomes a horse-smoothie.

I'm a dad who co-raised 2 kids to young adulthood. I'm also a retired teenager.

I don't see it as a disciplinary issue at all. It was a youthful, age-appropriate error in judgment due to lack of life experience and incomplete development.

Suitable punishment? - None. Use it as a teaching experience. If you make it punitive, you've missed the point, and the opportunity.

Do not let your emotions rule.