Calvin19

.075W 523nm LASER.

years ago I spent $9 on the "super high power green laser pointer" (<5mw)on ebay, and I was impressed. I could see the beam with lights on indoors, looked like a light saber at night, etc.

Recently I decided to drop the 70$ and get a "certified" 75mw green portable "research" laser and a set of goggles that block 523nm wavelengths.

JUSES. H. CHRIST.

The green lasers I have had before must have been less than 1mw. this thing is INSANE.

It BURNS my skin (I can only hold the beam in the same place on my arm for about 2 sec before the pain is intense), lights matches (less than 1m away), and at night I can see the beam go to infinity from a standoff position (someone else holding it) more than 100m away. This thing should NOT be legal.

Spending 800$ on a .6w (600mw, RECOCKULOUS) does not seem like it would be a waste. I could give you a tattoo from a kilometer away.

Just curious, but whatcha using this for?

Nothing more than playing. Some people have a Glock, I have a LASER.

(and before any of you rednecks get a woody, the manual has several warnings that read "this LASER device is FAR too powerful to be used as a gunsight. Always wear protective goggles and proper clothing. Do no use within 200m of unprotected personnel and nowhere where the beam or beam reflection can inadvertently come into contact with a person or animals unprotected eye at ANY range")

And to think, I used to burn ants with a magnifying glass ;)

Hell, I used to blow up crayfish with firecrackers! :ph34r:

Remember when....? :P

The shit I did way back when... :S

Is responsible for my parents' hair going white prematurely! :D
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Well, YEAH!

Goggles are all I care about with lasers.

Brain, spine, and eyes. Almost everything else is for sale.

:D

"Once we got to the point where twenty/something's needed a place on the corner that changed the oil in their cars we were doomed . . ."
-NickDG

I spent close to $100 a couple years ago on one of the cheap chinese knockoff 200 mw green lasers. They don't have any of the required safety features and may or may not have a filter but sure are fun! :S

Edit: Forgot, I haven't seen it yet but a soldier here has a 1W Blue laser. :o

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Rap is to music what etch-a-sketch is to art.

I believe my laser is a 250mW, though I'd have to check.

Ask someone who was at STF for good vibes how bright the damn thing was. :)

"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

Edit: Forgot, I haven't seen it yet but a soldier here has a 1W Blue laser. :o

That does NOT surprise me. :D

Just don't point it up, the zoomies get pissed off.:S
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

I was told by a few LASER experts that wicked lasers are hit and miss, and that a lot of the time the power that actually comes from their LASERs is far less than advertised, thus the cheap prices.

Also, my main goal is visibility. A 532nm (green) light is 4x+ more "visible" than a blue/violet light of the same power. So, if I were to buy a 400mw 532nm laser it would give me just as many warm fuzzies.

We use those lasers in our ditch bags when we do long offshore diving trips....they are incredible. One manufacturer states that they can be seen as far as 30 miles away during ideal conditions. Definitely useful if you were floating and needed to get a pilot's attention.
Fear is the thief of dreams.....

Just curious, but whatcha using this for?

Astronomers use them to point out stars in the sky when giving shows to whuffos.

The aliens living in those star systems are probably going to be pissed off in a few decades when the lights reach them...
I hope they don't look like clowns :o

Love those Whuffos. They are a never-ending source of amusement :D

And the comment about the aliens--just creepy ;)
lisa
WSCR 594
FB 1023
CBDB 9

We use those lasers in our ditch bags when we do long offshore diving trips....they are incredible. One manufacturer states that they can be seen as far as 30 miles away during ideal conditions. Definitely useful if you were floating and needed to get a pilot's attention.

I would think that would pretty easy, I think the problem at that distance would be spotting a target to lase at.

"Drifting diver killed in freak accident: crashed into by blinded pilot." ;)