gonzalesna

Medication: Helping or Hurting?

I think the OP's jaw problem could be called TMJ rather than TMD.

No, it's TMD. I don't recall the acronym meaning, but the 3rd letter changes dependent upon whether it's the upper or lower jaw that has the problem. Most common is TMJ. However, I'm all kinds of fuckered up back asswards, so I'm left handed and got TMD instead of TMJ.:D
Some people refrain from beating a dead horse. Personally, I find a myriad of entertainment value when beating it until it becomes a horse-smoothie.

Marijuana is a wonderful medicine that doesn't have much of the risks that these highly addictive pain pills have..... Wonder why it's still not legal on the federal level.

Minus the greater chance for getting cancer than smoking cigarettes.
Some people refrain from beating a dead horse. Personally, I find a myriad of entertainment value when beating it until it becomes a horse-smoothie.

Marijuana is a wonderful medicine that doesn't have much of the risks that these highly addictive pain pills have..... Wonder why it's still not legal on the federal level.

Yep... no deaths or any type of cancer from smoking weed ! :)

I think you mis-read my post. Weed has a greater chance than cigarettes.

Can you provide one example of one person who has gotten cancer from smoking too much weed ?

Can you provide one example of one person who has gotten cancer from smoking too much weed ?

Can you think of any one person who would admit to smoking weed as a possible cause for cancer if they were diagnosed?

With the exception of medical marijuana, which is little more than just a loophole in the system to let people get stoned, it's illegal, making controlled studies extremely difficult.

Cancer isn't caused from smoking too much anything, but from the fact that it was smoked and somewhere along the lines, the chemicals found in the smoke caused a cellular change (no phone jokes please) within the body. Everyone in the country has smoked at one time or another to some degree. Some via secondhand smoke, others self-inflicted. (That's in reference to cigarettes) Chemicals found in cigarettes are also found in Marijuana in stronger doses so it's assumed to be just as or more likely to cause cancer.

All that being said, I don't know too many potheads who smoke consistently like a cigarette smoker does. Personally, I've got no issue with weed. If that's your thing, rock on, vegetate out on your couch watch tv and eat munchies. I don't have a choice in the matter... I'm still in the Marine Corps. When I get out, if it's ever legal, I can guarantee I'll participate on occasion. I smoke cigarettes, quite heavily at times. I'm not sayin' all this to sway someone's opinion either way. I really don't give a shit what you do. That's your business. I'm just pointing out additional information.

With all of the drug ads and pharmaceutical solutions to all of life's problems, has anyone noticed that the side effects of many of today's common prescription drugs are worse than the original symptoms? Hell, sometimes the side effects are the same as the problem that they're prescribed for.

Personally, I avoid taking medication at all costs. I have TMD (Can't remember what the hell it stands for, but basically, my lower jaw doesn't meet up with the joint of the upper jaw and it locks up on occasion). A few years ago, my jaw locked up for over 24 hours and I was eating my supper from a straw. I was given 10 small muscle relaxers and motrin (Motrin being the Marine Corps solution to literally EVERY medical problem). I ended up using 3 of the muscle relaxers and throwing the other 7 in the toilet once I could eat normal again.

I don't trust medication these days and avoid taking any more than absolutely necessary. When given pills, I rarely take them, almost never using the entire prescription. (Excluding antibiotics. I do my part to help prevent future super-bugs. I always finish those.)

Discuss.:)

Next time don't drop the meds in the toilet. The chemicals end up in the drinking supply!
"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

I have TMD (Can't remember what the hell it stands for, but basically, my lower jaw doesn't meet up with the joint of the upper jaw and it locks up on occasion).

Quit crimping caps with your teeth, goofball!! :P
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

[replyNext time don't drop the meds in the toilet. The chemicals end up in the drinking supply!

I have a septic tank, I'm afraid the meds would kill the good bugs. My septic tank discharges to a tile field that eventually ends up in the ground water. My water comes from a well located on my property.

I try and return my unused meds to the drug store or the police. Who will burn, bury or destroy it some place.

Everything has to go somewhere, in one form or another.[:/]

During the BP oil spill in the gulf of mexico and the mass qty's chemicals added to do something to the oil we were :o to hear the BS excuse that dilution is the solution to pollution :(

K-RIP

I have TMD (Can't remember what the hell it stands for, but basically, my lower jaw doesn't meet up with the joint of the upper jaw and it locks up on occasion).

But... but... why?:(

Because it's really hard on your teeth. I know it has a very low risk of blowing your mouth off, but it's really hard on your teeth and jaws. Kinda like using your teeth to open bottle caps. You can only do it for so long before you get major damage.

Don't they make tools for that?
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

I refuse to take anything unless absolutely necessary and am probably the kind of person who will one day go to the doctor only to find that my cancer has progressed so far that I only have 24 hours left to live... :S

I think generally speaking, drugs of any kind (including alcohol) do not belong in my body. That being said, modern medicine has relieved and indeed cured many suffering people so I should probably trust it a little more and be a little less cynnical... But only a little! :D:D

"There is no problem so bad you can't make it worse."
- Chris Hadfield
« Sors le martinet et flagelle toi indigne contrôleuse de gestion. »
- my boss

Because it's really hard on your teeth. I know it has a very low risk of blowing your mouth off, but it's really hard on your teeth and jaws. Kinda like using your teeth to open bottle caps. You can only do it for so long before you get major damage.

Don't they make tools for that?

Yeah, but I win more beer this way...

"Bet ya a case of beer I can crimp this cap with my teeth and still have a face!"

"You're on! Wait... lemme find some cover first."

:D:D:D

Caps are sensitive. I don't crimp with my teeth. I like my face the way it is. It's not gorgeous, but blowin' a cap up in my mouth wouldn't make it any better.B| I don't actually crimp caps with my teeth. Never have. Not to mention, I'm fairly certain my boss would kick my ass if he saw me do that for putting that kinda liability on him.:D

I refuse to take anything unless absolutely necessary and am probably the kind of person who will one day go to the doctor only to find that my cancer has progressed so far that I only have 24 hours left to live... :S

I think generally speaking, drugs of any kind (including alcohol) do not belong in my body. That being said, modern medicine has relieved and indeed cured many suffering people so I should probably trust it a little more and be a little less cynnical... But only a little! :D:D

How dare you put alcohol into the bad for you category! It has vitamin C and antioxidants and stuff in it! It's good for you.:P

How dare you put alcohol into the bad for you category! It has vitamin C and antioxidants and stuff in it! It's good for you.:P

Meh... Many things that are bad for you are good for morale, so in small doses I guess it's ok :P
"There is no problem so bad you can't make it worse."
- Chris Hadfield
« Sors le martinet et flagelle toi indigne contrôleuse de gestion. »
- my boss

Meh... Many things that are bad for you are good for morale, so in small doses I guess it's ok :P

What about large doses? I've been told about a few of those I've had... apparently they affect the memory a little bit.:D

You can thank William Randolph Hearst & the timber industry for the initial illegalization, as well as the alcohol and tobacco companies for maintaining its illegality.

Sorry, but this information is quite inaccurate. To my knowledge, there has never been a study concluded by a credible group that shows a direct link to cancer & cannabis. One problem is that nearly all cannabis-using individuals that develop cancer also smoke cigarettes. There are no recorded cases of marijuana-only users developing cancers related to smoking^1.

Yes, cannabis has been proven to contain carcinogens. However, it has also been proven to contain a myriad of compounds that hamper and kill off cancerous growths.

Not to mention, you don't have to smoke pot to gain the positive effects. Synthetic THC, as well as edibles can be consumed to COMPLETELY avoid any carcinogens found in marijuana.

Oh, and did you know that the American Cancer Society advocates the use of medical marijuana? http://www.cancer.org/Treatment/TreatmentsandSideEffects/ComplementaryandAlternativeMedicine/HerbsVitaminsandMinerals/marijuana

^1: http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=large-study-finds-no-link