gonzalesna

Medication: Helping or Hurting?

With all of the drug ads and pharmaceutical solutions to all of life's problems, has anyone noticed that the side effects of many of today's common prescription drugs are worse than the original symptoms? Hell, sometimes the side effects are the same as the problem that they're prescribed for.

Personally, I avoid taking medication at all costs. I have TMD (Can't remember what the hell it stands for, but basically, my lower jaw doesn't meet up with the joint of the upper jaw and it locks up on occasion). A few years ago, my jaw locked up for over 24 hours and I was eating my supper from a straw. I was given 10 small muscle relaxers and motrin (Motrin being the Marine Corps solution to literally EVERY medical problem). I ended up using 3 of the muscle relaxers and throwing the other 7 in the toilet once I could eat normal again.

I don't trust medication these days and avoid taking any more than absolutely necessary. When given pills, I rarely take them, almost never using the entire prescription. (Excluding antibiotics. I do my part to help prevent future super-bugs. I always finish those.)

Discuss.:)
Some people refrain from beating a dead horse. Personally, I find a myriad of entertainment value when beating it until it becomes a horse-smoothie.

Anytime you take a medication (even something as seemingly harmless as tylenol or aspirin) you are altering the body's chemistry, which will undoubtedly have effects above and beyond that for which the medication is taken. It's up to each of us as an informed consumer in our care to know what those side effects MAY be before we take the medication; and, should we experience them, decide whether or not the benefit of the medication outweighs the difficulties of the side effects.

Elvisio "doctor please, some more of these, outside the door, she took four more" Rodriguez

I can't help but remember the "Paxil" commercial. Paxil is an anti-anxiety drug. It's side effects were known to include chronic diahrrea, nausea and cottonmouth.

In other words, you can finally be comfortable going out in public and socializing... with chronic diahrrea, nausea and cottonmouth.:D

Some people refrain from beating a dead horse. Personally, I find a myriad of entertainment value when beating it until it becomes a horse-smoothie.

Since my MI and resultant stint insertion in early 2010 I've been taking a smorgasbord of drugs twice a day. Lipitor, Plavix, something to keep my heart rate down, a baby aspirin, and a multivitamin. Also, since having a heart attack at 51 was a very depressing event for me I take an anti-depressant. I could put them in a bowl in the morning, poor milk on and have breakfast. WHether or not they help or hurt? I suppose I could stop and see what happens, but I might not be able to post the results ;)

I don't notice any side effects from all of it. Those listings of all of the side effect possibilities are the result of too many lawyers with nothing to do.

Please don't dent the planet.

Destinations by Roxanne

For me they have worked. Side effects do suck but at least I can do my work and do what I love.
Life through good thoughts, good words, and good deeds is necessary to ensure happiness and to keep chaos at bay.

The only thing that falls from the sky is birdshit and fools!

I don't avoid it altogether, but I do what I can to minimize it. The things I take on a regular basis don't have any real side effects, and they help to improve my health and life.

As for other meds (pain killers, muscle relaxants, etc.) I've always tried to take them for as short a time as possible; as soon as I can, I start cutting back the dose and/or frequency, till I can manage with just OTC drugs like Aleve. I really don't like the side effects, and I don't like the risk of chemical addiction. But, there have been a couple times in my life after accidents when I've been in intense enough physical pain that the painkillers and/or muscle relaxants took enough of the edge off of the pain to allow my body to rest enough to actually heal itself. If you can't sleep at all because of the pain, it's only going to prolong the healing process.

In general, though, I try to mange my health proactively by eating healthy, non-processed or minimally processed foods, and exercising regularly to keep my body strong, reduce the risk of injury, and to keep the general aches and pains of aging at bay. I'd rather prevent than treat, any day.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Hi G

All meds have side effects, and YMMV.

You should be getting a data sheet listing side effects with all meds prescribed, and the side effects are listed on line.

Lock up all meds. More people are dying from misuse of prescribtion meds than illegal dope in the US.

Don't share your meds with anyone. 5 yr federal crime.

+ what NW Flyer said.

R.
One Jump Wonder

I've got WAY too many acronyms swirling around my head from over 8 years in the Corps to keep track and I'm a little behind on the latest and greatest abbreviations of the internets. YMMV?

YMMV= your mileage may vary.

It's funny you mention the anti-depressants. The drug companies have huge marketing campaigns to sell those to as many people as possible. Many of the ads target your doctor specifically, telling him or her to question their patients about depressive moods and to offer a prescription to "fix" them. Never mind that life is full of problems and sometimes it gets people down. Don't worry about solutions and resolve to work things out. Just take a pill and feel better. :S

Yeah, we've gone from underdiagnosis to probably a massive overdiagnosis. It's good that docs are keeping an eye on depression, because a lot of times depression will manifest itself in physical symptoms that you'd see your primary care doc about. Better to treat the underlying depression than throw meds at the symptoms. At the same time, like you said, we've probably overcompensated by overmedicating.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

The drug companies have huge marketing campaigns to sell those to as many people as possible. Many of the ads target your doctor specifically, telling him or her to question their patients about depressive moods and to offer a prescription to "fix" them.

IMO it's your first sentence and not the second that is right. The drug reps who visit the doctors in their offices are the ones that target the docs. The ads that are on TV and in magazines and online and everywhere else are there to target US as the patients/consumers, not the docs. Even the ads that don't mention a specific drug but "encourage you to talk to your doctor about your symptoms x, y, and z" are priming you to go into the doctor to start a conversation that will lead to them writing you an Rx for a particular drug.

And the comment above about the foolishness of "all of life's problems being solved by a (or another) pill" is right on. Hmm... I'm a lazy, unmotivated, unsexy, fat bastard. It's not my fault! It must be this "low T" the commercials have been talking about!

Elvisio "what a drag it is getting old" Rodriguez

To OP and Elvisio

[replyElvisio "what a drag it is getting old" Rodriguez

Old is contagious stop resisting. just learn from the mistakes made by others.

If I need prescribed meds so be it. I had one that after I went to sleep :SB|:(

But I don't take any over the counter meds either, not even a aspirin. I just suck it up as long as possiable before seeinng a DR.

Went to one Dr the nurse took the vitals the dr looked said "I'll be back" and the nurse showed up with three different colored scripts, Never saw the DR again and didn't even get a diagnosis. Refused to pay the bill.

I think the OP's jaw problem could be called TMJ rather than TMD.

On a happy note your note the OP isn't dealing with the VA, and Iraq is supposed to be over.

Semper FI

Not a marine, just old.;)

R.
One Jump Wonder

Have you noticed that if you look at the list of side effects they all seem to be remarkably similar even for very different drugs? I get the feeling that a lot of things get listed just in case, rather than for any real reason. That said, some manufacturers list side effects along with the probability, which is more useful.
Anne

Have you noticed that if you look at the list of side effects they all seem to be remarkably similar even for very different drugs? I get the feeling that a lot of things get listed just in case, rather than for any real reason. That said, some manufacturers list side effects along with the probability, which is more useful.

I think it's because so many of the symptoms are so generic and can have so many causes that it's impossible to say the drug did or didn't cause them during the trial, so they have to list it as a possible side effect. I'm thinking things like headache, nausea, diarrhea, joint pain, etc., that could very well be side effects from food or day to day life, but because they occurred during the trial they become possible drug effects.

Anti-depressants that caused massive weight gain (talking about 30 lbs in about 2 months), which made me bomb a couple PT tests, which made me depressed = Anti-depressants that depressed me.

Also caused me to have some strange ass side effects that the doctor said were in my mind.

No more for me doc, thanks![:/]

I have a bottle of muscle relaxers that were given to me for my lower back... every blue moon I'll take one, but I hate doing it. Usually ends up being after packing a reserve or two. [:/]

"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

I think it's because so many of the symptoms are so generic and can have so many causes that it's impossible to say the drug did or didn't cause them during the trial, so they have to list it as a possible side effect. I'm thinking things like headache, nausea, diarrhea, joint pain, etc., that could very well be side effects from food or day to day life, but because they occurred during the trial they become possible drug effects.

This.

With all of the drug ads and pharmaceutical solutions to all of life's problems, has anyone noticed that the side effects of many of today's common prescription drugs are worse than the original symptoms? Hell, sometimes the side effects are the same as the problem that they're prescribed for.

Personally, I avoid taking medication at all costs. I have TMD (Can't remember what the hell it stands for, but basically, my lower jaw doesn't meet up with the joint of the upper jaw and it locks up on occasion). A few years ago, my jaw locked up for over 24 hours and I was eating my supper from a straw. I was given 10 small muscle relaxers and motrin (Motrin being the Marine Corps solution to literally EVERY medical problem). I ended up using 3 of the muscle relaxers and throwing the other 7 in the toilet once I could eat normal again.

I don't trust medication these days and avoid taking any more than absolutely necessary. When given pills, I rarely take them, almost never using the entire prescription. (Excluding antibiotics. I do my part to help prevent future super-bugs. I always finish those.)

Oxycontin,oxycodone and hydro codone are quite helpful after you femur in. :)
I hold it true, whate'er befall;
I feel it, when I sorrow most;
'Tis better to have loved and lost
Than never to have loved at all.

pretty much the same i prefer to let my Bodies natural immune system take things on. not been one to take much in way way of medicine. Even following my motorbike accident where i almost lost my right foot. Came off pain killers as fast as i could along with other medication

Not the prettiest body you will see but i have a engine built up over last 20 years hiking and walking that's kept me going. Which i probably why my plastic surgeon orthopedic surgeons and physios are all well bloody surprised at how quick i am recovering.

Walking now as i chucked my crutches as quickly as i can get shot of them my physio is now trying to get me in extra classes in the gym to work on the ankle and toes flexibility as well as rebuild the muscle wastage

in some cases i believe drugs can slow you down recovery wise as now we tend, i think to take to many. let you r body do what its. Think one of the reasons i haven't had a cold or flu for years is i have been exposed to some tough conditions a number of times but just let my body recover itself and let my immune system get a good workout in the process :)

Billy-Sonic Haggis Flickr-Fun

On Dr. Oz today, he was talking to a woman about insomnia and the medicine she takes. She takes the suppliment Melatonin, but she takes 6x the recommended does. She said she had to because she has nightmares. The guest doc on the show let her know that nightmares are the most reported side effect of Melatonin. She was shocked!
I was surprised too, since it's a suppliment. I guess too much of anything is a bad thing.
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

ANY TIME that you take ANY MEDICINE - whether it's "just" over the counter tylenol for a headache, "natural" melatonin for insomnia, prescription antidepressants for a rough time or chemotherapy for a REALLY bad situation - YOU need to weigh the positive against the negatives. (and that being said - even placebos have adverse side effects!!!)

Oxycontin,oxycodone and hydro codone are quite helpful after you femur in. :)

I think the moral of the story is don't femur in.:P

The fact is, during testing, some people are given a placebo and some the real drug. Those with the real drug who get symptoms and report it have the symptoms included, even if it's not caused by the drug, but instead of something else, i.e. food poisoning or epicac challenges:D It's a cover your ass for them. If they list it, they can't get in trouble for not letting you know about it.