Squeak

small computers (Mac boffins look elswhere)

Mrs Squeak's little netbook is dying (the one we traveled the world with) and Im going to replace it for her.
I would like a small decent notebook, but NOT another Netbook.

Anyone have NON MAC recommendations for notebooks in the 10"-13" range? Preferably under $1000 if possible.
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Why not a mac if you don't mind me asking?

Posted from a 13' MacBook Pro.. ;)

I quoted this from a 17" MacBook Pro.

Still curious why you'd ask us all to read this thread...but telling us not to look here.:D
My photos

My Videos

Because Mrs Squeak is NOT all that Techno savy, and she has enough trouble navigating her way around what she already knows.
and
When she does something to the PC to upset it, i can usually fix or undo what she has done.:D

So PC only please
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Is "boffin" an insult or a complement? :S;)
:)

Boffin is another way of saying Expert, aficionado, geek, train spotter, anorak etc...
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Is "boffin" an insult or a complement? :S;)
:)

Boffin is another way of saying Expert, aficionado, geek, train spotter, anorak etc...

Oh, in that case, I should tell you the reason Mr. oldwoman bought me a Mac is because I am a techno-igit. :$ Go figure :o:D
lisa
WSCR 594
FB 1023
CBDB 9

What do you use the netbook for? I understand travel, but can you expand on that? Just checking email and surfing the web or is there some uber specific application you and she absolutely have to run and it has to be on a Windows machine?

I swear there is an obvious 21st century device you seem to be ignoring.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

What do you use the netbook for? I understand travel, but can you expand on that? Just checking email and surfing the web or is there some uber specific application you and she absolutely have to run and it has to be on a Windows machine?

I swear there is an obvious 21st century device you seem to be ignoring.

I’m not ignoring anything; I'm trying to arrange a "PERSON APPROPRIATE" item for Mrs Squeak.

Given that I've been with her for 24 years and we have spoken at length about computers. I just might have some insight into what would be best for her.

Fuck me you lot have trouble following directions.:S:S:ph34r:
I know what I DONT want and explained that in the Title and OP, and so far the only respondents are people who are not even remotely interested in helping in what I'm after. They seem to want desperately to push their own barrows :S
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

I know what I DONT want and explained that in the Title and OP, and so far the only respondents are people who are not even remotely interested in helping in what I'm after. They seem to want desperately to push their own barrows :S

There are more tablets out there than the ones made by Apple.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

There are more tablets out there than the ones made by Apple.

REALLY:o No, you dont say, keep your barrow moving please
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Because Mrs Squeak is NOT all that Techno savy, and she has enough trouble navigating her way around what she already knows.
and
When she does something to the PC to upset it, i can usually fix or undo what she has done.:D

So PC only please

Sweet-tart, you need to expand YOUR horizons to help the Mrs .....

:P:P:P
'Shell

Trust me Shelle that road has been walked on several occassions.
Let me frame it for you.
Mrs Squeak will watch anologue TV with snow on it, rather than change over the remotes to the digital set top, because she can not figure out how to do it.
(it's only 2 buttons;) )
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Trust me Shelle that road has been walked on several occassions.
Let me frame it for you.
Mrs Squeak will watch anologue TV with snow on it, rather than change over the remotes to the digital set top, because she can not figure out how to do it.
(it's only 2 buttons;) )

Sweetie, you need bigger buttons on the remote! :P;););)

BTW, I lub you. :)
'Shell

I'm a big fan of Toshiba and Dell. My dad has had the same Dell notebook for the last seven years that he took on all his deployments, and it's still going strong. I've only had my Toshiba for a year and a half, but I really like the way it performs. I have a larger Toshiba Satellite series laptop, the smallest they make in that series is a 13.3," though. I don't know if their smaller laptops have the same quality.

Good luck! (Btw, my husband has a Gateway computer and it SUCKS)

So Madame Squeaka can not have a Mac just because YOU are scared of change ?

Madame Fish wrote on our door : If you are scared of change, you will be scared, AND you will have the change.

Posted on a HP Compaq because I am at work and my work computer sucks.
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

Good luck! (Btw, my husband has a Gateway computer and it SUCKS)

Hey, it turns on... that's asking a LOT from a Gateway :P

I'd probably suggest a Dell Mini, but I am a bit biased towards Dell. (I own an old dell E1505, a new Studio 15", a 2006 MacBook, and a oldish MacMini, so I'm not knocking Macs much, just not a big fan)

Dells are great machines, easy to work on, great customer service, they even post their damn service manuals on the web!
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

Mrs Squeak's little netbook is dying (the one we traveled the world with) and Im going to replace it for her.

Anyone have NON MAC recommendations for notebooks in the 10"-13" range? Preferably under $1000 if possible.

The new Sumsungs look pretty good. I know someone who just traded their Macbook for the Samsung and is very happy.

Otherwise I've always had success with Dell. They aren't very fast or sexy but they have tended to last.
Experienced jumper - someone who has made mistakes more often than I have and lived.

So Madame Squeaka can not have a Mac just because YOU are scared of change ?

If Madame Squeak WANTED a Mac I'd buy her one, she wants what she already somewhat knows.
Seems to me a lot of people read way to much into things.

Simple question was/is what small screen PC notebooks are recommended.

All you Mac users are trying way to hard:S:S
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

All you Mac users are trying way to hard:S:S

Aw, we're just joshing you :) 'cause we wuv you :P

My husband (work) and daughter (personal) both have an IBM Thinkpad, and they like it. My son had an Alienware, and didn't like it at all. It was poorly constructed, which caused all kinds of operational problems.

Good luck finding the right fit for Mrs. Squeek :)
lisa
WSCR 594
FB 1023
CBDB 9

Most powerful computer youll find for less than 1000 bucks!

Its great for everything including gaming to just surfing the web. It has 2 video cards so it will switch to the lower end one to save power. It goes for about 6 hours on the battery.

I got one and love it... i did go for a few more up grades.

i5 intel proc ( i got the i7 +200 bucks)
6 gigs of ram
320gig hard drive 7200 rpm
NVIDIA GT540M graphics 1.0GB Video Memory
wifi, webcam, mic, SD card readers, etched name plate, glowing back lit keys (nice for typing in the dark, also you can change them to like 24 different colors) you name it it has it!

It all fits in 11" laptop!!!!

Edit: oh and it has a really good backup system so if she fucks it up, you can just hit one button and presto, fixed!

http://configure.us.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?oc=DKCWCR1&cs=19&dgvcode=ss&c=US&l=EN&ST=Alienware%20Laptop&dgc=ST&cid=61341&lid=1542660&acd=dhs_pl,,901pdb6671

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_aP29wY-0EKw/S757RUu0PQI/AAAAAAAAABU/hAIUECvsJZY/s1600/DSCF1791.JPG
Cheers

Jon W

I have an HP Mini that I really like; the keyboard is nearly full-sized, and the screen isn't bad. I upgraded it to 2 Mb of memory, which helped performance. They're well under $1000.

If she can go just a little bit bigger, the Dell notebooks (as opposed to netbooks) can be devastatingly cool. I bought one used with all the toys last year for under $1000.

My technique is to load as little as I'll use on them, and keep them as simple as possible, because I'm impatient and don't like to wait for mega-loads of software to load.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

I have an HP Mini that I really like; the keyboard is nearly full-sized, and the screen isn't bad. I upgraded it to 2 Mb of memory, which helped performance.

2 Megabits of memory isn't very much.[:/]
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

Seeing how she is adverse to buttons and technically challenged according to you, here are a few options, starting with the simplest, for you to peruse through to see what best fits her comfort level.

Notebook Option #1

Notebook Option #2

* This one may not be a notebook per say but it might fit the Mrs.'s bill for doing everything she needs to do while travelling: Option #3
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING