iluvtofly

Princess Bride...Chick Flick or Not?

So MissBrz and I have been debating with theonlyski on whether or not The Princess Bride is a chick flick or not. He doesn't believe us that straight guys like the movie. He refuses to even give it a try. So please, help us educate him on how good of a movie it is and how even straight guys like it.

Please only vote if you have actually seen the movie!

It's all of the above. It's got chick flick elements (which is admitted - right up front - with Fred J. Savage's revulsion at the kissing).

But it's also guy flick. Action. Comedy. Ridiculousness.

Ski: if you are THAT uncomfortable with a chick flick, get yourself uncloseted and enjoy the movie. :P

My wife is hotter than your wife.

No pure chick flik would contain R.O.U.S.'s!B|

Or perfect breasts.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

So MissBrz and I have been debating with theonlyski on whether or not The Princess Bride is a chick flick or not.

Both.

Princess Buttercup has true love with Westley who is most womens' fantasy - a guy who'll rescue them from the world, is independently wealthy, and will cater to them "as you wish."

Then you have the sword fights "My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.", professional wrestlers, pirates, politics "You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous is never to get involved in a land war in Asia", monsters in the form of rodents of unusual size, and the makings of a guy movie apart from gratuitous sex and nudity that a PG rating doesn't allow.

He doesn't believe us that straight guys like the movie. He refuses to even give it a try. So please, help us educate him on how good of a movie it is and how even straight guys like it.

Trade. Offer to watch a classic guy movie (Bullit and Vanishing Point come to mind as the greatest car chase movies ever) in exchange.

Fencing, fighting, torture, revenge, giants, monsters, chases, escapes, true love,
miracles!!!

Much the same can be said of the "Twilight" series, however . . . those films do NOT appeal to 90% of males.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

It's one of my favorite movies, especially for its unique humor/comedy and action. My brother used a Princess Bride theme for his wedding, with all participants wearing costumes, all the way down to the priest saying "mawwidge, dat wevvered inxtitution..." :D

Not just a chick flick in my opinion. Its a great movie for the family. Plus you've got Fred Savage and Peter Falk as grandson/grandpa in the bedroom reading the story.

"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Omigod.
I just learned that eeneR has never seen it.:|

That's just wrong!!!

Yea well.... :|

I know -- sometimes you just don't get to some of the more important movies. Which is why I have "Ronin" and "Casablanca" in my Netflix queue!
See the upside, and always wear your parachute! -- Christopher Titus

Shut Up & Jump!

Omigod.
I just learned that eeneR has never seen it.:|

That's just wrong!!!

Yea well.... :|

:P:D

I used to work with a woman who told me about her son, who I think was about jr-high age when the movie came out. They bought a VHS tape of the movie, he wore it out, they bought another one, he wore that out, and finally a third copy.:D
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

Fencing, fighting, torture, revenge, giants, monsters, chases, escapes, true love,
miracles!!!

Much the same can be said of the "Twilight" series, however . . . those films do NOT appeal to 90% of males.

Yeah. When did vampires become such wimps? Remember Dracula? He'd kidnap a guy (who happened to be an attorney), put him on a boat, kill everyone on the boat EXCEPT the attorney - just so he could drive him insane.

Now there are vampires who are so sweet and kind and heroic. Awwwwww.. Little cuddly wuddly cutie patootie vampires. I mean, what the hell???

My wife is hotter than your wife.

miracles!!!

Yeah. When did vampires become such wimps? Remember Dracula? He'd kidnap a guy (who happened to be an attorney), put him on a boat, kill everyone on the boat EXCEPT the attorney - just so he could drive him insane.

Now there are vampires who are so sweet and kind and heroic. Awwwwww.. Little cuddly wuddly cutie patootie vampires. I mean, what the hell???

I think it was professional courtesy.. to a fellow blood sucker:ph34r::ph34r:

Princess Buttercup
Oh the things I would do for her.....I would so butter her freaking cup! OOOOh!
But really! HOT!
http://www.alicia-logic.com/capsimages/pbr_005ButtercupFarm.jpg
Life through good thoughts, good words, and good deeds is necessary to ensure happiness and to keep chaos at bay.

The only thing that falls from the sky is birdshit and fools!

Ski - Watch it.

It is worth 2 hours of your life. Intrigue. Swordplay of the highest caliber (Movie wise that is). Suspense and close calls (Beware the lightning sands and the R.O.U.S.). Evil princes who are really cowards (Not to the death... To the PAIN). And arguable the best vengance line in a move ever. Delivered after one of the best confrontational scenes I know of -
Inigo Montoya: Offer me money.
Count Rugen: Yes!
Inigo Montoya: Power, too, promise me that.
[He slashes his other cheek]
Count Rugen: All that I have and more. Please...
Inigo Montoya: Offer me anything I ask for.
Count Rugen: Anything you want...

And only one kiss.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo