freefalle

life on the US west coast

Seattle's expensive; the Bay Area (where I live now) even more so.

The largest part of that is housing which can be worked around if you don't insist on conforming to the American dream.

$1500/month buys you a 4000+ square foot house some places in Texas, buys a town home around Seattle or rents a 2-bedroom apartment, and buys a nice mobile home in a good location or rents a one bedroom apartment in Silicon valley.

I choose less living space and better weather. You always feel like going out for a ride/run/whatever when it's sunny nearly all the time, average daytime highs are 58 in the coldest months of the year (overnight lows do hit 40), and average high temperatures are 79 in the warmest months.

$1500/month buys you a 4000+ square foot house some places in Texas, buys a town home around Seattle or rents a 2-bedroom apartment, and buys a nice mobile home in a good location or rents a one bedroom apartment in Silicon valley.

Yep, what I pay in rent now is just about what I paid in mortgage + HOA fees in Seattle for my townhouse-style condo. I have about the same square footage, and about the same neighborhood amenities. I also have better weather and a 30% higher salary in CA (though there is income tax here, which there wasn't in WA).

I rent here because I still feel like the Bay Area real estate market is overpriced (at least for the types of areas I'd like to live in. I think I'm better off not investing in it at the moment. I get more for the money as a renter at the moment.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

I have a job offer with a major medical staffing company for a position as a regional director. The region is the west coast basically, WA, OR, CA, ID, NV, and UT. The stipulation is that I have to live somewhere in one of those states. This job is a really good career move for me not to mention a nice raise in pay. So I am going to take the job.

I lived in Seattle WA for a short period of time but other than that I dont know much about the west coast, I was looking at CA but the cost of living seems really high. Right now Im thining Reno NV but Im still really up in the air about it.

Other than skydiving I am a very active runner, cyclist and swimmer I really want to try to find an area where I can at least skydive run and bike year around. Im currently in Florida where I can do all of the activities basically year around. Any input as to anything or any place I should consider?? thanks

Chuck Bryan

You might want to consider Las Vegas as well, housing prices are very, very attractive. I wouldn't rule out CA 100%, but it can be the most expensive option. I lived in Portland, OR and loved it. Skydive Oregon is only 40 minutes south too. Given the territory you'll be managing, if you need to travel, Las Vegas, California (Sacramento/Davis/East Bay area/San Diego...anywhere), Portland, Oregon may be the best in terms of direct, convenient flights to the other major metro areas, etc. as well....my $.02. Congratulations on the new job. B|
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

Hi free,

the company are going to require me to move to Portland

A great place to live.

Do NOT pay any attention to:

- the tv show PORTLANDIA

- Bumper stickers on cars that say KEEP PORTLAND WIERD as it is & probably always will be

- the poor weather from now until Spring

And if you like micro brews, you will be in 7th heaven.

If I can assist in any way, just drop a line.

JerryBaumchen

PS) When they did the first ever survey on Best City to Live In, Portland came out #1.

But they do have a state income tax! You would be better off living across the river in Vancouver, Washington. No state income tax and you can still shop in Oregon and not pay Sales tax!

If they do that, for heavens sake do not get your car registered in Oregon where its a lot cheaper... the WA State Patrol has a habit of sitting on the on ramps with video of the Oregon plates getting on the freeway for the morning commute. They do persecute tax cheaters in WA

But they do have a state income tax! You would be better off living across the river in Vancouver, Washington. No state income tax and you can still shop in Oregon and not pay Sales tax!

If they do that, for heavens sake do not get your car registered in Oregon where its a lot cheaper... the WA State Patrol has a habit of sitting on the on ramps with video of the Oregon plates getting on the freeway for the morning commute. They do persecute tax cheaters in WA

And when you try and register the new car that was bought in oregon in WA state the state sales tax might be collected before you get your Wa plates.

The state of oregon gets their $$$ by collecting income tax. AFAIK it doesn't matter where you live it's where you work that counts if you get caught living in Wa state and working in Oregon.[:/]

OTOH it could be worse:o

State income tax gets worse if your married and one spouse works in one state and the boss works in the other state>:(

We also lived in a city where they took 1% off the gross income for all the peeps employed in the city "Earnings Tax". So the folks that lived in the suburbs got tagged for 1% for the benifits of the services provided while working in the city.

When we filed our taxes both states, the city and the feds wanted a copy of ea others tax forms.:S

Of course depending on the employer, type of job some people play the game, and some win, some lose.[:/]

K-RIP