Squeak

My little mate

This is my little mate, he's been with me for about 14 years, he's about 16 now.
Great cat, never had any issues with him at all, and he (like all of us) is getting old.

He's always been a very quite little guy, only talking to me when he actually has something important to say (there are lessons there people). Things like, it time to eat, you locked the door and i cant get out to toilet, and HEY DAD I brought you a present, yes it looks a lot like half a mouse, but it's still a present that I got just for you.

Anyways, he has recently begun being much more vocal, and vocal in a different more concerning way. I asked some Vet friends and did some research and apparently in older cats it's a sign of disorientation and the possible onset of senility.
This makes me sad[:/]
It hails the beginning of the end [:/]
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

I can so relate to this.

I've had many cats over the years, but I never had one get really old until Barley. I got her as a small siamese furball in '92, and she died this year :( Broke my heart.

She was also a little bitty thing, and never weighed more than 4 lbs. But she could howl like only a siamese can. [:/] She rarely did before she got old.

The increase in volume seems to echo a general loss in both awareness and hearing. Barley was stone cold deaf for at least 5 years (she was the only cat that didn't run for the hills when Mike broke out the bagpipes). The last couple of years she grew increasingly confused.

Cherish what time you have left with him. Take more pictures, including those with you, too.

lisa
WSCR 594
FB 1023
CBDB 9

Aww he looks like Milo... and he is about 18 now.. so far so good.. he is losing a bit of weight... but still healthy. I am not going to be in good shape when he reaches the end of his life [:/] At least its been a good life for the old guy

Aww he looks like Milo... and he is about 18 now.. so far so good.. he is losing a bit of weight... but still healthy. I am not going to be in good shape when he reaches the end of his life [:/] At least its been a good life for the old guy

I have pics of Mrs Squeak with Milo, from our visit :)
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

I don't have cats (but I do have two dogs), but these stories make me want to start crying[:/]...I can't even begin to think about the end of our dogs' lives without tearing up.

Hopefully your kitties live happily as long as possible:)
Here's my two loves...

And for the record: the appropriate ranking of cool modes of transportation is jet pack, hover board, transporter, Batmobile, and THEN giant ant.
D.S. #8.8

Aw, Squeak. 'Little mate' is also how I used to refer to my cat. He lived to 13, which I guess isn't so bad. Yours has done well.

I lived in a household that had a 20 year old cat who was also very deaf. She used to do what you describe - she'd walk around the house making lots of noise, especially at night when people weren't around. Never occurred to me to wonder why.

I guess you just have to keep his quality of life in mind - he sounds like he's doing ok on the whole, but it's hard to be certain with cats because they're so stoical most of the time. The hardest thing you ever have to do for a pet is put it to sleep - but if you eventually have to do it, remember it's also your final act of kindness. [:/]

No cats or dogs here, Just Bugs. he's litter trained and has free run of the apartment. Mind you I grew up with cats and dogs,,,,Bugs was a rescue, he was stuck in a small cage 24/7 and when the owners did let him out the cats they had would beat the crap out of him. he's a happy rabbit now :)

"The greater danger for most of us is not that our aim is too high and we miss it, but that it is too low and we reach it." - Michelangelo

I was backing out my my driveway on friday to go to work and felt a bump...then I saw our cat running away. Later when my wife and I got to the hill country where we were camping at, we got a call from our neighbors that they found our cat dead. I still feel horrible about that. :(

I was backing out my my driveway on friday to go to work and felt a bump...then I saw our cat running away. Later when my wife and I got to the hill country where we were camping at, we got a call from our neighbors that they found our cat dead. I still feel horrible about that. :(

[:/]:(

I live in the boonies... and I get to listen to the nightly call of the wild in the valley below of the coyotes.. and one of the trees across the road from me is a favorite roost for Bald Eagles... sitting and watching the valley. Needless to say... kitties are on the menu for both species of predator. I learned the hard way many years ago.. to just keep my cats indoors where they stay with me... uninjured by predators, cars or predators.

I also have good fences to keep my dogs in... and the coyotes out... now if I could just keep the deer from hoping over the fences to eat my damn roses and apples.....

That's very sad, I'm sorry. :( But just one of those unfortunate things and not your fault. I live in a street full of cats, and the way some of them sit out in the road or under parked cars it's a wonder they survive. If I see one around my car when I'm about to set off I'll chase it away, but I'm not actively looking for them as a rule.

Still, I wouldn't want an indoor-only cat. Mine were free to come and go their whole lives and I'm sure enjoyed the thrill of the great outdoors. I guess to some extent I (and they) got lucky, because they both survived to finally die of natural causes - but I think even if one had eventually been hit by a car I probably wouldn't have regretted letting them roam outside. To me, even though they're domesticated, it's their natural habitat.