amstalder

Pet owners: How do you deal with the hair???

I was just so nervous to start her out with an effective brush, since they're rather sharp looking.

So long as you're not pressing with all of your strength she'll be fine. Chances are she'll even enjoy it. It's the ultimate back scratcher. Kinda like when someone with really long nails scratches your back or head...feels great right? Same thing for dogs. :)

I am a dachshund lover and one of the reasons I like them (their temperment being the number one reason) is that they are shorthaired and dont shed that much. Sure they get cold easy but thats nothing a good sweater cant cure. :D

Is she full size?? or a puppy? We watched our friends dachshund last month (he was a bratwurst... 25+ lbs), and he shed a lot!

I want to get Maggie a small friend when we move stateside.

thanks everyone for your tips. I think I'll order a furminator soon. Can't do anything about the couches right now, since they don't belong to us, but we'll probably buy leather. We have a Dyson, might look into the roomba. We'll probably look into the grain-free diet and see where that leads (she's a finicky eater, so maybe that will help her there, too).

We have a few cats (both light and dark haired). Leather furniture and hardwood floors are worth their weight in gold. A minimum of rugs (one in the living room and one in the MB) also helps.

A Roomba looks like a good investment if they actually work as advertised.
lisa
WSCR 594
FB 1023
CBDB 9

Why are people spending hours vacuum-ing their homes when you can go to the source direct and just vacuum your pet....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jM-JN4gM0BM

I've recently upgraded the Dyson Animal to a Vax which is more powerful and the cat just loves it more...

http://www.vax.co.uk/shop/product/cylinder-vacuum-cleaners/power-bagless-cylinder/Power-7-Pet-Cylinder-C89-P7N-P

I can't win, or there some sort of trick to this?

Shave your dog. Guards 1-3 should do the trick :D

My cousin did that to her 2 shaggy, long-haired cats. The hair was everywhere, and I mean everywhere. So she got her cats clip-shaved. The cats looked like idiots, but it did the trick.

While I agree with frequent brushing and proper nutrition, why would you take advice from a random website on your pets nutritional needs? Websites like this one give people enough info to get them into trouble and not enough info to get out of it. You really want good nutrition advice? Contact a vet school. Not some unknown, unnamed website where they don't even say who they are and what their qualifications are to be giving advice on canine and feline nutrition.

To the original poster, as others have said, the Furminator is great for longer hair. I have a boxer and that little short hair gets everywhere! If your pup has a short coat, I suggest getting a curry comb from a tack store.

You really want good nutrition advice? Contact a vet school. Not some unknown, unnamed website where they don't even say who they are and what their qualifications are to be giving advice on canine and feline nutrition.

Well as a vet tech, I suggest talking to your vet about good nutrition advise. Calling the school is just going to piss off the secretary that answers the phone. Do you know how many calls a vet school gets in a day looking for free advise?

There are lots of good nutrition foods out on the market now. One that I use is www.phdproducts.com
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

UC Davis, Colorado, A&M, Oregen and Washington all have feeding kitchens that field calls from vets and owners. That is what they are set up to do. I am not as familiar with the schools on the East coast. I should have been more clear not to call the general number but hunt down the feeding kitchen.

3 dogs and 2 Roombas (pet model). The Roombas work great, you'll be surprised how much they actually pick up besides the pet hair. Expect to have to clean it after each use when you first get it as it will be full of stuff until it has cleaned the whole house several times. After awhile, if you run it every day, the dust bin won't be as full and there will be less hair/debris in it. I have almost all tile with a few throw rugs in the house and they do a decent job on the rugs although you may have to pick up a few hairs near the edges now and then that the roomba misses.

Expect to have to do a bit more than just empty the dust bin and clean the brushes off after about the first 2 months of steady use as you will probably get error code 2 even when the brushes are clean. This requires a phillips screw driver and basic mechanical skills to remove a handful of screws to get at the innards that house the gears that turn the brushes. It takes about 5 minutes to take apart and depending on how dirty your machine is, anywhere from 5 to 30 minutes cleaning off the gears, pulling dust bunnies and goop out of crevasses,etc. Re insert all the screws and it's good to go.

Also, don't even bother using the dust bin that comes attached to the Roomba out of the box. Just switch over to the high volume one that comes as an accessory in the box as it holds more and is easier to clean out.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING