Superman32

Toyota FJ Cruiser

Im thinking about getting the fj cruiser this month. It's in no way a practical vehicle but it sure seems like a fun truck.
I'll use it as my daily driver with an occasional trip to the dirt.
Does anyone have this truck and what do you think of it?
Inveniam Viam aut Faciam
I'm back biatches!

I have had one for over 4 years now and have had no issues with it at all. I got an aftermarket sunroof put in and I get quite a lot of wind noise at freeway speeds, but not sure how much is due to the sunroof and how much is caused by the fact that I am essentially driving a brick!
I love the 3 windscreen wipers.
Haven't used it much offroad but have been told it handles itself well.
Have had a baby recently and with the baby seat in the back, the front passenger seat has to be quite a long way forward.
I got the blue one - SO call its the PortaPotty on wheels, but I don't mind - I love it!

Hobbes: "How come we play 'War' and not 'Peace'?"
Calvin: "Too few role models."

Generally the suicide doors make getting the car seat in and out fairly easy, except when you are parked close to someone, makes it awkward but still very doable, but the passenger seat will have to be moved forward quite a long way to fit it in. Kids weren't an issue when I bought mine!

Hobbes: "How come we play 'War' and not 'Peace'?"
Calvin: "Too few role models."

I have a 2010 FJ. The only real complaints I have is the visibility out the back isn't great and the windshield gets pitted quickly since it's almost flat and vertical. Putting some little convex mirrors on the rear views and increasing your following distance a little bit will help a lot. Starting in 2010, the engine was changed a bit which upped horsepower, and allowed the use of non-premium gas. The FJ has a ton of power, and is very offroad capable right out of the box.
Burn the land and boil the sea,
You can't take the sky from me.

I have a 2008 TRD Trail Team Edition FJ and I love it! The trail team edition is the solid white one with black wheels, TRD exhaust and bilstein shocks. I added performance headers and cold air intake to it a little while after I got it. It loves to drink gas, but its a great truck, I have never gotten it stuck off road and I have had it in the rocks and hills of NM, red mud in Georgia, and the beaches of the Outer Banks. The blind spots suck, but you will figure that out on a test drive and decide if you can handle them or not. Its also built like a brick shit house structurally. I got rear ended by a car doing 55 while I was almost at a stop. It destroyed the Malibu and just broke the plastic on my rear bumper and dented 1 rear quarter panel. I could go on and on about it but I think you can see what I think. If you have any specific questions let me know.

Wait a sec... I just remembered something. Toyota had made rumblings that they were going to cancel a few model lines that weren't selling well. The FJ was one of them. They were going to offer 30% discounts to clear their inventories. I think that was about a year ago.

There have been rumors of the line being discontinued since 2008.
There aren't many fj's in dealerships and the ones that are in stock don't last very long.
Unfortunately quite the opposite is true about discounts. There are no discounts or incentives at all
Inveniam Viam aut Faciam
I'm back biatches!

Hey Superman, I've got a green one too! Love it.

The story I read was that starting in 2010, Toyota reduced the quantities imported to the US from 75000 to 25000/year, in order to keep prices up along with demand. There is some wiggle room in negotiations, but not much. The "ending production" stories have been out for years, but would be surprised if it happened any time soon.
Burn the land and boil the sea,
You can't take the sky from me.

I'm glad you guys are happy w/your FJs, but Toyota still sucks. There's a whole lot of Toyota owners out there, including me, who aren't happy @all w/their vehicles. Buy one before they get around to screwing up that model line, too...

I worked as an instructor on the Trail Teams a few years back. The hell we put those trucks through was insane. We had put 45k+ miles on them in the first year alone and all of those miles were either pulling a 5000lb trailer on the highway or heavy off-road use. The second year had some vehicles seeing 100k with the same abuse.

The only recurring problem was windshield chips and breaks due to the steepness of the windshield. Only other repairs were body damage and a front CV broke once after trying to back out of a really nasty rock garden. :P

They are solid vehicles though. The frame, drivetrain, and suspension were a proven design so it worked out a lot of the typical new car problems.