Doasfu

FEAR? No Fear!

Hey Zenmeister
I just had an epiphany (all you Texans : it means great idea) : why don't we organize a little DZ.com get-together in Vegas this summer. We can think up a better name than boogie, because we can do the bungi, the flyaway indoor wind tunnel, the roller-coasters (stratosphere will shrink your sphincter) and I believe there is a DZ nearby in case we get REALLY bored. Of course there is also gambling and legalized prostitution (despite what Lummy says I still insist it is legal).
I was there for a wedding the beginning of December and we got a REALLY good deal, booking as a group. Can you just imagine a whole bunch of us skydivers running wild in Vegas???
Lemme know what you guys think, and maybe we can start planning something (hell, it's not like I've done any work so far this week anyway)
/s

That's an excellent idea. Vegas is the perfect place to go. Especially since there's lots to do for the whuffos in your life. ;)
If it catches one it might even become like an annual boogie type thing. The "Annual DZ.com Vegas Blitz" or something. As far as dropzones go, the Las Vegas Gravity Zone is run by the same people who run FlyAway. Really nice people. We might be able to get them to provide discount rates, or at least host something, if we get enough interest.
This may be something we should spawn off into another thread.
------------
Blue Skies!
Zennie

I just had an epiphany (all you Texans : it means great idea) : why don't we organize a little DZ.com get-together in Vegas this summer.

Actually, it means a sudden manifestation or perception of the essential meaning of something.
But despite not knowing what epiphany means, you DID have a great idea!! I'm in! :)

i happen to have a 99' kawasaki ninja 250cc. it tops out at 115mph on the auto bahn, that's a hell of alot better than some cars do

Hey wingnut, nice wheels. I'm looking at buying a EX500 for my first ride in a couple of weeks, although I might go 250 if I can't find a 500 at a decent price.
Yeah, a little Ninja that can top out over 100mph and accelerate to 60 faster than most sports cars is nothing to laugh at.
Personally I prefer the scared shitless shirts over the no fear ones. I think they more accurately portray the sport.

Guys, guys, come on.... Now I know that 115mph isn't a Sunday stroll in the park, but you could do so much better for just a few $$ more.
CAUTION: Pamela, avert your eyes! ;)
My first bike was a 93' GSX-R750 (bought in 95')... Now, on the night I like to call, "The Midnight Ride" I was topping speeds in the upper 170mph range (did this several times, not just this one night), while smokin' the local Highway Patrol's ass after he'd clocked me at about 90mph. You want to talk about adrenaline, there's nothing like weaving in & out of a bunch of cars that are going about 65mph on a two lane highway. You say you'd kill yourself if you got anything bigger, you're probably right... I say that I'm lucky to still be alive! I sold that bike & almost got one of the new 1300 Suzuki Hyabusas (sp?), but thought that I WOULD end up really hurting myself. They're a lot of fun, but if you don't know how to handle one, it can definitely maim or kill you. Just be very very careful on anything you get, speed, as we all well know, is probably more addicting than durgs of any kind!
btw Wingnut, I am sooo Jealous of you.... I've always wanted to drive the auto bahn! "WoooHoo!"
"Peace & Blue Skies!"
Edited by Merrick on 3/15/01 11:50 AM.

Damn Merrick, that's a mean Gixxer to have as your first bike.
I was initially going to get a F3, then read up a bit and felt that a 500cc would be less likely to get away from me.
I don't want to have to worry about having too much power underneath me for my skills. I just wanna know I can open her up and let it fly. Might still get an F3 if I can't find a decent EX500 though. They're a sweet looking bike and the Ft Lauderdale shops have about 20 used ones for sale.
Edited by MarkM on 3/15/01 01:02 PM.

Oh shit Froggie! You crack me up! I can't believe I missed your post earlier about all the things that can happen on rollercoasters, while scubadiving and such. That's my thinking also! Even merry-go-rounds make me naseous and roller coaster rides are just contraptions built for jerking you around at a speed that makes the entire thing last all of a few seconds (after standing in line for HOW LONG?? Oh wait...sounds like skydiving huh. LOL!) I might try bungee however...sounds like fun and I can't imagine my back being any more sore then it is after I've dirtdived over-and-over all day. OUCH!
I've actually decided I want to try water skiing or something this summer because I'm extremely afraid of any water I can't see thru and/or touch. What kind of creatures are just waiting under there to eat me up? :) Doesn't help that Merrick told me that there's a catfish in one of the lakes around here the size of a small car. Probably just a bunch of crap, but hey, I ain't chancing it! So I figure if I can overcome my hyperventilation and go skiing, then I've really kicked fear's a**!

You want to talk about adrenaline, there's nothing like weaving in & out of a bunch of cars that are going about 65mph on a two lane highway

Oh yeah, nothin' like risking OTHER people's lives for your own amusement.
Skydive safe/Drive safe
Frank

Pammi,
im with ya chicky. I would love to try waterskiing cause its a surface sport, not supposed to go underwater. But the simple idea of it brings so many self doubts to my brain. Skiing, oh man. those people are brave! I cant imagine doing some rapid downhill dash through trees. For me, the 'feet' are too big. Imagine flipping and trying to do a complete 360? the ski's would get in the way.
I prefer to have my fun in different ways. Riding a dead tree downstream in the middle of the woods (it makes a great raft, just as long as the leeches dont bother you :) tying a huge tire to the back of a pickup and riding through the fields. Driving to the middle of nowhere and camping out. Riding ATV's all weekend. Tearing down old barns then using the wood to make forts. I think that i just might be a nature girl :)
ah. i would love to try paintball, Xkeys has the equipment to play in the woods surrounding the dz. But my brothers tell me that im too much of a wuss ( i dont see them jumping out of airplanes!) and that i couldnt take the 'hit'. But ill end up doing it sometime soon. It seems really cool and lots of fun. Again, its a in-the-middle-of-the-woods-running-around-like-a-maniac thing though, so naturally id love it :)
Good to see ya pammi! i dont post at the same time as you alot.
froggie

"Oh yeah, nothin' like risking OTHER people's lives for your own amusement."

Man I'm tellin' ya Frank... You know what they say, "hindsight..." At the time the only thing that seemed important (on that particular ride) was to avoid those reckless driving & speeding tickets. Man, it's amazing the stupid things you do when you're a "kid." AND, now that I have a family, I tend to think about how somebody else might feel, or how my family would feel if something were to happen to me. However, I guarantee that I would have gotten the short end of that deal if I'd hit anyone. Nonetheless, was still a really really stupid thing to do, and I rarely did do it around other traffic (the roads just aren't really "equipped" for that around here). I mostly kept it on the race track for that kind of riding.
Yeah Mark, it was definitely a lot to handle at first, but it really didn't take me anytime at all to pick up a few tricks & to learn the bike inside & out. One thing to consider, and all of my biking friends agree, is that if you get something fairly small (like a 500cc) within a year you'll be wanting to "upgrade" to something bigger... kinda like that "itch" you get to downsize at about 100 jumps or so. Anyway, just something to consider, I mean think about it man.... by the time I wanted to get rid of mine I wanted the Hyabusa w/a top speed over 210 mph... Doh, just bad news http://www.suzukicycles.com/sr_01/sportstreet/fs_haya.htm.
"Peace & Blue Skies!"

Oh yeah, nothin' like risking OTHER people's lives for your own amusement.

Heh, a 200+ pound man on a 380 pound bike is just going to make a loud "splat" against a 2 ton car.

Anyway, just something to consider, I mean think about it man.... by the time I wanted to get rid of mine I wanted the Hyabusa w/a top speed over 210 mph... Doh, just bad news.

What? A 600cc monster that'll do 0-60 in 3 seconds and max out at 160 wasn't enough speed for ya? :)Well, I may have a sweet deal hooked up for a 500(I'd be buying it for basically dealer trade in value). But if that falls through I'll take a serious look at some F3's. I could just take it real easy on one of those for the first few months and it'd be the perfect bike for a race school I want to hit in November.

A harness hangs from the bottom of the arch, and once you're fastened in, you're pulled backwards to the top of the tower, so that you're 200' in the air

Doasfu, I have always wanted to try that one too. That ride would give a whole new meaning to the phrase "ground rush" :)

tying a huge tire to the back of a pickup and riding through the fields.

Froggie, that is hilarious, cause I used to do that in high school. A bunch of us would take the inner tube from a tractor tire and drive the pick-up through the back roads going as fast as we could without losing control....what a HOOT!
Tee

tying a huge tire to the back of a pickup and riding through the fields.
Froggie, that is hilarious, cause I used to do that in high school. A bunch of us would take the inner tube from a tractor tire and drive the pick-up through the back roads going as fast as we could without losing control....what a HOOT!

hehe. So somebody else knows how fun it can be! We use to do that when we lived on a really big patch of land. Oh yeah, another good idea. take that old beaten down, 1940's era tractor sitting in your grandparents back yard and hook THAT up to the back of a truck! Now, you wanna talk about a ride? One tire missing, a broken stearing wheel. ah, the farm life. gotta love it.
froggie

"What? A 600cc monster that'll do 0-60 in 3 seconds and max out at 160 wasn't enough speed for ya?"

Actually, it was a 749cc that maxed out at about 182. B|
That's cool man, if you can get that sweet of a deal on the 500cc I'd definitely say go for it, but if that falls through somehow or another, I'd certanly consider the f3... they're a really good bike, a little rigid in corners (and a little slow;)), but overall a great bike, especially for a beginner.
Don't think that I'm trying to sway you into buying something that you very well may not be able to handle, these are just my opinions... don't know if I could live with myself if I found out that you got a brand new ZX-1 or something & then I found out later that you'd really gotten hurt on it. The 500 is a great bike too, there's a guy from my home town that had one(ex-500 I think), & he could ride a wheelie further than any of the 'big boys.' LOL
Whatever you get, just be careful, one thing you'll notice is that people DO NOT look out for motorcyclists.... you have got to be on the defensive constantly, just like under canopy after a 100-way or something (<<--- there, there's the skydiving relation to this post:D)
"Peace & Blue Skies!"
Edited by Merrick on 3/16/01 06:11 AM.

Hey Merrick hun...you can get yourself one of those Hyabusa's if you want...as long as you get a matching one for me :) You know how I am...not much for riding, but I'll drive!
Froggie and Tee - more 'country-folk' on this thread eh? We did that kinda stuff too...whatever we could think of to hook behind the pickup and ride on! LOL! We were lucky enough to have a motorcycle track down the road from us, though, so when I wasn't riding horses, it was a motorcycle down there ;) Unfortunately, I wasn't any better at driving back then. *G*
Pammi

now that I have a family, I tend to think about how somebody else might feel, or how my family would feel if something were to happen to me.

Ya, Merrick - that's about the same time I became much more "responsible"... plus I put together too many news stories about people killed in car accidents... in Vancouver BC there is a real problem with street racing... in the last few months, 3 innocent people have be killed by people racing each other on the streets around town... it's funny how whuffos often think we skydivers are an "irresponsible bunch of reckless yadayadayada..." - and we are NOT... we take every step possible to minimize the dangers of our sport. I just think that people who tear around our streets in their vehicles ARE reckless and endangering others...
BTW, I like Pammi's nudi-pie under the jumpsuit story!!!
Frank

Don't think that I'm trying to sway you into buying something that you very well may not be able to handle, these are just my opinions...

I have a couple local friends who are also saying I should be able to handle a F3. Tomorrow I'm going to head out and sit on a couple, just get a feel to see if I'm comfortable with the weight of the bike.
If it's something I think I can muscle around at low speeds I'll probably pick one up. When I was 17 I dropped a Harley(was on it maybe 10 mins) that was just more than I could handle, not so much power, just too damn heavy to control. But a friend at work assures me that a F3 is much much lighter than an average Harley.

Yeah, it's definitely sad when so many lives are snatched from this world for such stupid reasons. Hell, it doesn't even have to be on the street.... I know (knew) a kid that got killed in a head on collision with a pickup truck in a pasture somewhere.... He was on a four-wheeler, probably not his smartest hour. :(

"BTW, I like Pammi's nudi-pie under the jumpsuit story!!!"

:D Ya' know... so did I! ;) ROFL
"Peace & Blue Skies!"

I think the guy who just surfed that 90 foot wave can wear any T shirt he likes....No way would I want to go there, but I don't really surf. Same with free climbers who don't use ropes......

Give me altitude any day....
My computer beat me at chess, It was no match for me at kickboxing....