airdvr

To keep quiet or not

I have outstanding draws against commissions. I pay them back a little at a time. Still have more outstanding than my last pay would cover.

Do you owe then a lot? Or you have enough savings to pay them back shortly after leaving? Would your last pay take a good chunk out of it allowing you to afford to pay them back?

Your responsible for paying back what you've drawn against your commission and they are working with you now but after you leave, they will want what you owe them and probably in a timely manner.

Otherwise I agree with wildcard451.

The honorable and decent thing for you to do would be to give them 2 weeks notice, and the honorable and decent thing for them to do would be to thank you for giving them notice and let you continue to work up until your departure. However, since this company has proven that they can't be trusted to do the honorable and decent thing in this situation, I see no obligation on your part to let them screw you.

I mean, you are doing them a favor by giving them notice, the only benefit you get by giving notice is maintaining good will. But respect is a two way street, and is not possible when you are dealing with a company that does not behave ethically.

Give the notice... if they don't walk you out, well and good. Work your two weeks and get your pay and commission.

If they do walk you out, take the time off to prepare for your next gig and rest up. No new job comes without stress, so consider it the calm before the storm.
tagline..... what's a tagline?

>How is immediate termination unethical?

If it is a penalty for complying with the employee guidelines of the company, then it is unethical. It's like telling your employees "please submit a trip request form before scheduling any business trips to help us with our financial planning" then firing people who submit them to save on travel expenses.

>How is immediate termination unethical?

If it is a penalty for complying with the employee guidelines of the company, then it is unethical. It's like telling your employees "please submit a trip request form before scheduling any business trips to help us with our financial planning" then firing people who submit them to save on travel expenses.

Sorry Bill, I should have been more specific - as in how it is unethical in relation to this scenario.

One more question -- if you're asked to leave immediately, are you paid for the 2 weeks anyway? I know my old company used to do that -- anyone who gave notice was gone that afternoon, but they were paid for the two weeks they'd given notice for.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

One more question -- if you're asked to leave immediately, are you paid for the 2 weeks anyway? I know my old company used to do that -- anyone who gave notice was gone that afternoon, but they were paid for the two weeks they'd given notice for.

Wendy P.

Doubtful
Please don't dent the planet.

Destinations by Roxanne

Hi

When serious corporate downsizeing started 3 yr's ago we knew a guy from the dog park that worked for HP.

He was attending a meeting with a major client in the seattle metroplex. During the meeting he had to excuse himself to take a call from his employer.

They fired the guy in the middle of a business meeting.:S The man was in his early 50's had worked for HP for 15 yr's. He was in unemployed for at least 2 yr's, after that I stopped asking[:/]

HP made the decision that they were not reqired to pay their X employee's for their accrued vacation time.[:/]

Business is Business. "We're a team, a family" until we don't need youB|

Them Them F**** Them.

Of course YMMV:)

Fuck them, I had alot of com. Jobs over the years. one at a jeep dealer selling for a couple of years. I got an offer from a BMW dealer where a friend worked. I actually talked about it with my mgr/friend, pros cons etc. He was real nice, gave me all the pep on staying. finally I decided to jump, gave my friend my 2weeks notice. he said GET OUT. another time about 10 years ago selling at an Audi dealer in NY, moved to NJ got a job at one in NJ. After about a month causually mention that the first dealer still owed me for a few deals, good guys, got paid. But Tom my new Mgr said if It was him he would see me in labor court before he paid. He said it as a joke but I knew he meant it. Now for a lot of reasons I can't work there. I line up a new job. On my last day I get the "emergency" phone call that my dad had a heart attack. I have to leave to drive to Tenn. Kept them strung along for about 10 days so that they would mail me the couple of Gs that they owed me. Did what I had to do, and felt good about it, fucking car business.

There's no good answer for everyone. For me, I respect people that are good to me and I hope they give me the same respect. I would tell her, based solely on the fact that she was good to me.

However, logically, you are in a no-win position. Even if you tell her, it's not like she can "quietly" start looking around for a replacement, and quietly have them shadow you at work to see how you do your job. For her to get a replacement for you, she has to tell her company. Then they will fire you.

All it does is hurt her, as your manager. She has no way to ease into a replacement for you. You should try to get her a job at your new company. The company she's at won't last long if they treat their people like that.
Trapped on the surface of a sphere. XKCD

I've decided to keep my mouth shut and ride it out until November 30th. I want that last check.

I understand why they don't accept 2 week notices. I sell new construction, custom homes. It takes at least 60-90 days of work before I can actually make the sale. No point in having someone who is leaving in 2 weeks pretend they'll be there when it's time.

As far as the manager thing goes, c'est la guerre. The first casualty of war is the truth.
Please don't dent the planet.

Destinations by Roxanne

I think, on balance, you made the right choice.

May I respectfully suggest you edit/(sanitize) some of the details out of your preceding post, as well your profile?
(I notice, for example, that stuff I (and others) write on dz.com, as well as some profile info, comes up on a google search.)

Great. Now I'm paranoid.[:/]

It's not paranoia if they really are out to get you.

Or, Just because your paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Rap is to music what etch-a-sketch is to art.

I know from prior incidents that 2 week notices are not honored and you are asked to leave immediately. It's a corporate thing. I'd like to stick around until the end of the month and get some of my commissions.

you should stay to the first of the next month then too so at least you get to keep insurance as well for the remaining of that month.
Cheers

Jon W