oldwomanc6

Question #3

On the recently revived thread about " get to know you survey", it seems that the vast majority of answers to question #3 Why did you start skydiving? is "I always wanted to". Seems to me that doesn't tell the whole story. Everyone says that.

I think that for most of us, it has to be more interesting than that.

For me, I never considered jumping out of an airplane, heck, I had never been on an airplane before.

When I was in college, the group I was a part of went rock climbing. They all were doing really well, seemed to me like like they were spiders. Then came my turn. I climbed up to about 30 ft. I made the mistake of looking down and freaked! FROZEN! I had to be lowered down because I could not make myself do it. I was mortified!

Not too much longer after this, someone got the wise idea of going skydiving. So, we all packed inside of a VW microbus and off to Elsinore we went! I had already made such a "fool" of myself rock climbing, I was going to go through with this if it killed me (and I thought it might). I wasn't going to embarrass myself again.

We all made a jump at the end of a very long day, and HOLY CRAP! How much fun is this! I was hooked!

Of all those spiders, I was the only one to do more than just a few jumps--go figure.

All of this is my convoluted way of saying "What's the real reason you started (and continued) jumping?"

Please tell!
lisa
WSCR 594
FB 1023
CBDB 9

I was in need of a moment of peace.
Just one minute where all the world at least looked to be stable and at peace.

I watched videos of you guys skydiving and you all looked so happy and I wanted that...just for a moment.

And I have to say, yes for that one moment that one minute of free fall i am at peace with the world and all is well.

Thank you
Life through good thoughts, good words, and good deeds is necessary to ensure happiness and to keep chaos at bay.

The only thing that falls from the sky is birdshit and fools!

1st tandem - finally got the balls together in a little bag and decided to go with coworkers from the bar I worked at next morning after our shift. Well everyone overslept and I waited at the bar for about 30 minutes. Decided to go hope and not do it..last minute said "F*** IT" and went to jump. Was such an overload that I almost hit a car on the way back home.

2nd tandem - wanted to go again and see what it is like when I am not scared outta my mind. Still had no plans to get my license.

Why I started AFF - I was teaching at a college level and we had this one little whiny 20 year old b**** of a spoiled student in our department. She was literally polluting the whole departmental atmosphere with all of her complaints, noone willing to hold her hand and let her get by with a shitty effort, etc. She took what everyone told her and complained to another person in the department saying she said she was told one thing when the reality was quite the opposite. Her mom called a number of times to complain how her poor daughter was 'mistreated' and wasn't being taught properly. When in reality she was lazy and didn't do shit...and was used to throwing temper tantrums and that would get her what she wanted. Not in my class. :P ANYWAYS...I was stressed beyond belief that semester and needed an outlet for it. Aside from throwing her out of my class that is. :) So one day, i go outside after dealing with her bullshit, took a few breaths of fresh air, look up and said..hmm, I wonder if getting my license and jumping on my own would be relaxing. Signed up for AFF classes a day or so later, and the rest was history. B|

A younger friend contacted me out of the blue. He said his B-Day was in two months, & he wanted to go skydiving. All of his friends were punking out, though. He asked me to go w/him. I thought "Skydiving....Yeah, I always wanted to do that." I'd totally forgotten about it over the years. I said "Yeah, what the H*ll. Schedule it." The rest is predictable. At first, there were ten of us. Five quickly found excuses. The other three kept wavering on when to go. W/winter quickly approaching, I set a date. "If you're here, great. If you're not? I'll let you know how much fun it was..." Five of us jumped that (really freakin cold >:() day. I'm the only one who came back for more.

How I got started.

The military told me to go to static line school, so I did.

Then they told me to go to SL jumpmaster school, did that.

Then they said go to freefall, thought cool and went.

Then they said go be a freefall jumpmaster, hard course.

Now I jump out of Helos, C130's, C17's, and anything else I can get in. Night jumps and water jumps are the best. The two best jumps so far, 25,000ft night jump and a 5000ft jump over the ocean.

I have my B and only a couple jumps away from my C, with no intention at stopping.
John - D.S 1313

"I'll jump it, Np. It's all good"

When i was in the NAVY we had a visit to the Local SAS base and they let us jump from the Roundy Simulation tower, didn’t think much of it other than "you land harder than I expected".

Thought about doing a jump for a few years after, but every time I had the funds to go, more pressing commitments came up taking away any excess cash I had, Things like drugs, booze, police fines, other debts.

I had already made the commitment that if I ever do get to do a skydive, it would only ever be and AFF jump, (in my mind the most extreme) not Static and NEVER Tandem.
Anyways years floated by and almost 39 years old, sitting on the couch with my wife (then partner) she asked me what would you like for your birthday?
Now she asked this whilst a skydiving commercial was on TV.
So I pointed to the TV and said THAT. (Not at all expecting it, as we had a mortgage and sundry bills etc...).
Mrs Squeak said GOOD, Because that's exactly what I got you, and she handed me a Gift Cert for an AFF jump.B|B|

I booked the course and jump and 2 weeks later I was at the DZ, ready for my 1st jump.
In the middle of winter, on a muddy landing area.
Went up with my 2 AFFIs and did my jump.
Landed near my wife, and said yay that was fun. Then quietly walked over to the AFF Instructor and said.
Dude, every single person that has jumped today has been over the moon when they landed, jumping up and down all over, WTF did I miss, because for me that was a shit load of cash for very little, IMO.

He said Squeak you did NOT do what everyone else did, all what you did was EXACTLY what you were told, you cadenced everything perfectly and paid no mind at all to what was happening. You just DRILLED what we told you too.
I said so WTF dude, he said he had similar issues when he started on Roundies, and a few other Ex-military folks do the same, they just DRILL it.
He suggested I come back and have another crack at it and try to just relax and enjoy it.
So I did come back, and kept coming back and after AFF 6 none of the AFF instructors would jump with me UNTIL i did a SOLO, They said ALL you do is what you are told you don’t enjoy any of it you just get all serious and military, so no more AFF jumps until you jump solo.

So I manifest for a load and the only load going is a Navajo to 14000, all my jumps have been in a 182 to 10,000, a baulk a little at it and finally go.
I LAUNCH myself out the door at 14000 feet and then get my act together, then practice everything I have been taught so far, I look at my Alti and it's about 9500 feet. FARK ME, I have done everything I know how to do and I’m at 9000 WTF.
So I looked at the ground and REALLY saw it for the 1st time, I checked my Alti, looked at the ground again, and the LZ is now BIGGER, check Alti, look ground, LZ BIGGER AGAIN, Alti/LZ STILL BIGGER.. Fucking WOW, pull at 4500 land in the centre of the LZ (about 1 metre accuracy) I gather my shit, walk back to the hanger with the BIGGEST shit eating grin I have ever had, and say to my AFF I , Dude I REALLY REALLY get this shit now:ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:
Then I sold one of my motorbikes and proceeded to spent over $16,000.00 in the 1st 12 months.

That's how i got into skydiving Oldwoman :P;)

You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

When i was in the NAVY we had a visit to the Local SAS base and they let us jump from the Roundy Simulation tower, didn’t think much of it other than "you land harder than I expected".

Thought about doing a jump for a few years after, but every time I had the funds to go, more pressing commitments came up taking away any excess cash I had, Things like drugs, booze, police fines, other debts.

I had already made the commitment that if I ever do get to do a skydive, it would only ever be and AFF jump, (in my mind the most extreme) not Static and NEVER Tandem.
Anyways years floated by and almost 39 years old, sitting on the couch with my wife (then partner) she asked me what would you like for your birthday?
Now she asked this whilst a skydiving commercial was on TV.
So I pointed to the TV and said THAT. (Not at all expecting it, as we had a mortgage and sundry bills etc...).
Mrs Squeak said GOOD, Because that's exactly what I got you, and she handed me a Gift Cert for an AFF jump.B|B|

I booked the course and jump and 2 weeks later I was at the DZ, ready for my 1st jump.
In the middle of winter, on a muddy landing area.
Went up with my 2 AFFIs and did my jump.
Landed near my wife, and said yay that was fun. Then quietly walked over to the AFF Instructor and said.
Dude, every single person that has jumped today has been over the moon when they landed, jumping up and down all over, WTF did I miss, because for me that was a shit load of cash for very little, IMO.

He said Squeak you did NOT do what everyone else did, all what you did was EXACTLY what you were told, you cadenced everything perfectly and paid no mind at all to what was happening. You just DRILLED what we told you too.
I said so WTF dude, he said he had similar issues when he started on Roundies, and a few other Ex-military folks do the same, they just DRILL it.
He suggested I come back and have another crack at it and try to just relax and enjoy it.
So I did come back, and kept coming back and after AFF 6 none of the AFF instructors would jump with me UNTIL i did a SOLO, They said ALL you do is what you are told you don’t enjoy any of it you just get all serious and military, so no more AFF jumps until you jump solo.

So I manifest for a load and the only load going is a Navajo to 14000, all my jumps have been in a 182 to 10,000, a baulk a little at it and finally go.
I LAUNCH myself out the door at 14000 feet and then get my act together, then practice everything I have been taught so far, I look at my Alti and it's about 9500 feet. FARK ME, I have done everything I know how to do and I’m at 9000 WTF.
So I looked at the ground and REALLY saw it for the 1st time, I checked my Alti, looked at the ground again, and the LZ is now BIGGER, check Alti, look ground, LZ BIGGER AGAIN, Alti/LZ STILL BIGGER.. Fucking WOW, pull at 4500 land in the centre of the LZ (about 1 metre accuracy) I gather my shit, walk back to the hanger with the BIGGEST shit eating grin I have ever had, and say to my AFF I , Dude I REALLY REALLY get this shit now:ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:
Then I sold one of my motorbikes and proceeded to spent over $16,000.00 in the 1st 12 months.

That's how i got into skydiving Oldwoman :P;)

LOVE your story, Squeak :)

As a kid I used to often dream that I was "swimming" in the air. I loved anything and everything to do with flying.

The local skydiving club was 1/2 mile from where my friends and I used to go fishing when I was 13 or 14. At 15 I started lurking at the club. When I was 15 I was staying with a friend who was an air-force cadet and his dad was in the air-force. One Saturday I was at the base while he was doing his stuff and the local air-force skydiving team were going up for a jump. I don't know how or why but I got invited to go up as a pax on a CASA 212. I don't think I will ever forget sitting next the back ramp and watching those guys exit:)
Spent 15 years wishing to get back into the sport and finally did it when I found the Farm and timing was right. Now my wife jumps as well and actually likes my crazy friends:D

Experienced jumper - someone who has made mistakes more often than I have and lived.

Short answer; A static line jump was offered as a gift and I really enjoyed it I think. More so I sucked which meant I was going to prove I could do it right. I did it again and sucked again. I sucked a few more times and managed to get put back on staticline. I was going to get it right even if I hated it. About jump 17 I started having a bit of fun.
Full answer - for oldwoman - When I was growing up I got to play with old school spring loaded pilot chutes. Dad just gave them to us (I have a younger brother) and we threw our toys off the roof and out of trees with them. We assumed every kids father had them I guess. A few times he mentioned he had been skydiving but he never really said much about it. We knew that funny part at the back of his right leg that felt like jelly was from a demo then went to crap and he landed in powerlines (avoiding some harvesting machine on a round at some agricultural show doing a demo in high winds) making the national news. That didn't mean much to us when we were 10, it was just a funny story. From time to time though he would ask if we ever wanted to do a skydive - normally around xmas or our birthday and about the time I turned 20 I took him up on it.

He took me to the same guy that taught him to jump and I did a static line out of a cessna for Xmas. He regretted that cos I was still a college student student and I banged out 4 more jumps that weekend... I sold a bit of excess cycling gear (my timetrial bike and one set of zips paid for my rig, another track disc and another set of mavics paid for a bit of the course - he paid for the rest ). 3 months later, I was a terrible student, I had an A licence. Then my father dug out his old log books, 16mm film and other stuff like that and I actually found out what he did when he was younger. Turns out he had travelled around America in the late 70s (might of been the early 80s) jumping at places like Pope Valley. He quit jumping in 82 with nearly 900 jumps (something to do with 9 mals in 11 jumps while fidling with a slider and another jumper going through his canopy while mum watched - a bunch of people turned excpecting a bounce..). By coincidence I am now driving around the USA jumping some thirty years later.

In 1988 I saw a magazine advert for charity static line parachute jumps. I honestly can't remember whether I'd had any ambition to don a parachute before that, but as a kid I'd been fascinated by aviation and in one of my books there was an illustration of the Red Devils parachute display team in freefall that had always held my gaze. I also had the Red Devils costume for my Action Man figure (our version of GI Joe). That was super cool because it came with a working parachute - except for the one time it didn't work, his legs broke off at the knees and he had to be splinted and invalided to German sentry duty for the rest of his days.

Anyway, I digress.

I signed up for the charity thing, went along with a friend to Cranfield Parachute Club and made my first round jump from the strut of a Cessna 182. I then went on to make another six jumps, but at some point in the interim my friend broke his ankle (he forgot the 'feet and knees together' bit) - and since he couldn't carry on and I didn't know anyone else there, I gradually lost enthusiasm.

Fast forward to 1991 when I watched a movie you may be familiar with, about bank robbing surfers who also indulge in a little skydiving during their time off - and I realised what I'd been missing by giving up so easily. So I phoned around a few DZs, discovered this new-fangled teaching method they were calling AFF and booked myself onto a course. Did my Level 1 jump in September 1992, and from then on I just couldn't get enough.

Here I am 19 years later, still waiting for that 3-minute freefall I saw in the movie, and financing my endless summer - or as we call it in the UK, 'one week in July' - by sitting in front of a laptop rather than vaulting counters with a sawn-off shotgun. But on the whole, no regrets!

From the time I could run around the neighborhood with the other kids my age, I ALWAYS thought the most fun I could have was finding a big hill of loose dirt to jump of of. That second or two of freefall was what I wanted. The higher the hill, the longer the fall. The loose dirt made a good landing area and that was all I needed to have fun the whole day. My mom wasn't too happy about washing my clothes but I did it anyway.

The TV show Ripcord gave me the idea that jumping out of airplane was the most fun falling there could possibly be. 7 or 8 years later I was stationed at Ft. Jackson and A guy who jumped was in the unit. I watched him pack his PC (Paracommander) and a Delta II. (Even as a non-jumper that thing looked too wierd.) He trained me, taught me to pack and we went to the Charlotte Skydivers where I made 6 static lines jumps, a clear and pull, a 10 second delay and then a 30 second delay. Not quite the standard progression. On the 30 second delay, he followed me out and flew down in front of me about 20 feet away and just a little above. I could see the horizon under him and remember thinking, "This is just like Ripcord!"

And that's how it became the focus of my life for the next 25 years.

And I didn't have to get dirty jumping into loose dirt anymore.
Most of the things worth doing in the world had been declared impossilbe before they were done.
Louis D Brandeis

Where are we going and why are we in this basket?

I've always loved the sensations and rush of thrill rides. Especiaslly riding new ones for the first time.

In the summer of 05 my nephew was visiting and I had gotten some free passes to Astroworld from the prinintg company I work for. As we're walking from one rollercoaster to the next we pass the Barnstormer Skycoater. I'd never been on it since it cost extra, but because I had got in for free I had some extra cash. So i asked my nephew if he'd want to go. He said, "Sure, just don't get me killed".

So we strap in, they hoist us up, I pulled the rip cord and a great time was had by all. As we are leaving the park that day I realize that based on the Skycoaster experience I have to give skydiving a shot.

Fast forward a few months. My buddy and I are at a Clutch show talking about different things between bands and he brings up that my birthday is coming up and that it's on a Saturday this year. What do I want to do.

I tell him I really want to go skydiving, would he want to go with me? He says, "Sure, just don't get me killed." So we toasted to it with some Jager and I signed us up for AFF the next day. My buddy didn't stick with it but I knew I had found awesome sport and wanted more.

I've continued, even coming back from a broken ankle, for many reasons:
The challenge of building formations and the learning that comes with trying. Sharing a smile and a high five with your friends in the landing area right after a jump no matter how it went. The million dollar views of the clouds from the top and sunsets at altitude for the cost of a lift ticket. Sawping stories over a beer at the end if the day with people from all walks of life that have a common bond in the joy of jumping.
diamonds are a dawgs best friend

As a kid I was facinated by parachutes... I used to make them by cutting a giant garbage bag in an exact circle using a felt pen and a string (like a compass). I'd attach lines in 8 places and a fishing weight to the string. I'd throw that thing until my arms hurt. One day I decided to sneak into the local stadium and throw my parachutes off the top... I must have gone up and down that stadium a hundred times.
As a young adult, every time I saw someone under canopy....I'd say. Man I gotta do that... after I got married and had two kids... I was still facinated but never could afford it. On my 50 birthday my daughter (21)... handmade a card for me with a picture of me jumping out of a plane...with the words "this time you get to go...whenever you are ready"... my son, daughter and myself did a tandem...and I was totally hooked...driven might be even a better word (obsessed? lol). After only doing 17 jumps, I can't believe how much I love this. I really feel like I was meant to do this. Kinda corny, but all true.
Fear is the thief of dreams.....

Wrecked my motocross bike showing off for my girlfriend. Couldn't get parts. Saw an ad $19 to skydive. After I made a couple jumps I asked what they did to the gear between jumps. When I heard nothing, I sold the bike.

I think the coolest story I ever heard was Paul Thompson from Paragear. He watched the show Rip Cord growing up and as soon as he was old enough he went jumping.
U only make 2 jumps: the first one for some weird reason and the last one that you lived through. The rest are just filler.
scr 316

I never "always wanted" to skydive. Thought it looked crazy and dangerous. But, with my 25th wedding anniversary approaching this past summer, I started looking for a way to celebrate with my husband that would be memorable and extraordinary. Considered hot air ballooning. Considered white water rafting. A random news story on our local station showed by a local DZ that was having a day of fundraising skydives for some cause or another.

"Honey!" I said, "Skydiving!" He said ok.

That first tandem was a mixed experience. I am afraid of heights, but don't like letting my fears conquer me. I loved the DZ, loved the people, had confidence in my TI, had my husband with me as well as the couple who had been with us on our first date. So I was calm until the moment we were standing at the door of the plane. Knew I'd never leave if I didn't close my eyes. So I closed my eyes. Which meant the TI had to haul me out of the plane with him -- which he did.

But in the air I opened my eyes and was enthralled. After the freefall ended we chatted and he showed me the terrain, turning us with compassionately gentle maneuvers so I could see the setting sun and the coastline, etc. By the time my feet were back on the ground, I wanted to do it again right away.

So here is the thing: It was all I talked about for days and days and days. I began to study my video and did not like that I had not been a full participant in the jump. THEN, I began to reflect on how being in the air made me feel. I am introverted and reclusive; the most quiet person in my group of friends; all my hobbies are solitary, quiet hobbies. But in the jump I was something else. I felt empowered to be something I had never thought of before (don't ask me - I don't know what that means even now).

So I took a training tandem. Got the same TI. Redeemed myself in the full participant to the jump department. Met my goals. Felt even more exhilarated and empowered and strong and confident. I was hooked, then, I knew.

This post is long, but I want to include here a FB post I left after that first training tandem:

My instructor asked me why I decided to do this – to not only jump tandems, but to commit myself to learning. I wanted to tell him; and I tried...

"But the words are limiting, you see. As soon as I begin to explain how it feels, and what it means, the expansiveness of the experience automatically diminishes and the explanation seems incomplete.

"Pithy sound bites of words cannot do justice to the thing: the pleasure of watching others’ joy; the confident preparations that make sparks crackle the air; the way apprehension mixes with gleeful anticipation when I take the step out; the opening of my heart when I look at God’s creation as I am falling; the smiling tears that want to flow because the perfect, peaceful enormity of “it all” has come clearly into view; that itchy, achy longing to return to the air that starts to inhabit my body as soon as my feet are on the ground; even the gorgeous peace of the place at the end of the day and few are around...

"How’s this? Transcendent. Sydiving is transcendent! And I do believe that every jump is as potent a prayer as any saint has ever uttered."

Thanks for listening...

Me no understand. Need small words. I are Marine. Big words make ouch brain.:D

Very well written. I can relate to the sentiment from years ago as well. Over time the sensations will change, but you will still be able to enjoy similar feelings when you achieve new goals, i.e. balloon jumps, big ways, etc.

Some people refrain from beating a dead horse. Personally, I find a myriad of entertainment value when beating it until it becomes a horse-smoothie.

Hi OW6

I'll play

Almost back in the day 68 that is.

We had a sweet job in the AF flying on C-130, had to wear a rig on the plane during drop ops and other rare occasions.

Thought it might be a good idea to actually make a real jump just in case.:)
Leaned to much the rig we were wearing for work was a BA18. (Google is your friend)

Wrong rig for normal jump ops 300-1000 ft. Orders is orders.;)

R.

One Jump Wonder

'Always wanted to do it' would be an understatement in my case, I think it was hard-wired in.

I too had those extremely vivid dreams as a young child of spreading my arms and flying, not once in a while dreams but all time!

I too waited with eager anticipation for the next episode of Ripcord, there is a clicky link on my sig line to the theme, every time I hear that music my heart jumps and I'm a kid again.

My dad use to take me in his Piper Cub to local air shows, fly in breakfasts and the like, that started when I was about 5. He would walk around talking airplanes and I would just wait for the skydivers to jump, it was the only reason I went along and would be a disappointed lil' brat if there wasn't a demo going on. I loved watching the jumpers, meeting them, helping with their gear. Dad took a picture of me once with a skydiver who put his rig & helmet on me for the photo-op...had it on the wall in my room, it's still there!

Dad & I were flying a kite in the backyard once and he made a mini-parachute with a handkerchief, it had a fish hook on the weight and we'd let the wind take the parachute up the kite string ever higher each time...snapping the string would knock the hook free and down it would come. We made a game of trying to land the little 'chute on a target. Seems in retrospect the ole man taught me how to spot years before I ever jumped!

My father use to love telling the story of how once when I was 8, he was in his lazy-boy reading the Sunday paper when suddenly it hit him...I'd come in the house 1/2 a dozen times but he'd never seen me go OUT. As he got up to investigate, I went floating past the big bay window behind him. I'd made a parachute with my bed sheet and mom's clothesline and was B.A.S.E. jumping off the balcony...:D

I remember being 'talked' to about the danger of putting myself in harms way...then getting 'YELLED' at for cutting up the clothesline, cost me a months allowance. It was yet another early lesson on the sport, I was just getting the idea of how expensive Skydiving can be. Pops recommended I wait until I was old enough to jump and got me everything in print he could find about parachute jumping.

I about drove the poor guy nuts until he went with me to see the movie Gypsy Moths when it came out.

Fast forward to summer 1976, it's Friday nite and I'm 18 out cruisin' the small midwest town main street in my GTO with a blue eyed blond riding shotgun. The only stoplight in town turns green and I drop the hammer as does the brand new Trans-am sitting next to me.

I cross the painted stripe in the road 1320 feet later well ahead of the other Pontiac and swing into the pizza joint parking lot to claim my victory. The guy in the T.A. pulls in next to me and we start talking racing, I go to sit in his fancy new car and froze...there on the front seat is a belly-wart reserve!

Fuck engine mods, talk to me about SKYDIVING!!!

The next morning I'm sitting on a picnic table in the middle of a corn field taking my first jump course at a little outlaw DZ an hour from home...
My instructor ~ the guy who put his rig on me 10 years earlier and who'd been staring at me from the picture frame on my bedroom wall ever since!

I was a great student, heck I'd read everything there was to read on the sport. I was eager, athletic and open minded...didn't think twice about holding the pilots beer during take-off, sitting next to the open door with no seat-belt was nothing to a pioneer B.A.S.E jumper! I was 'in my element' and there was no looking back.

I really don't believe in destiny or the alignment of planets, I subscribe more to the 'Gump Theory'. . . without conscious planning I Forrest Gumped my way into a life of skydiving.

Every step lead to a handful of open paths and somehow I always ended up on the most interesting & exciting one.

I was a natural in the sport, and since the club did demos I was put on my first one pretty quick. I had 22 jumps and nailed a perfect stand-up on my Pap into a semi-pro baseball stadium in downtown Davenport...the four M-18's on my boot brackets still puffing smoke.

Got my JM & I in short order and actually worked my way through college as a Skydiving Instructor, creating a university team and started competing in regional S&A events even talking the university into letting me do stadium demos at football games and sending us to the collegiate nationals.

Bounced around the country after college always able to pick up work either Instructing or doing demos, met a lotta great people & had a lotta fun.

Got a call from an old club member buddy after I moved to the west coast, did I want to start a demo team with him. Sure why not, after all 'life is like a box of chocolates'.

The team went on to become quite popular, the most commercially successful civilian team up until that time. In some ways we changed the way demos are looked at and performed still to this day.

In the context of the sport, we made the word 'Professional' a noun AND a verb. For well over two decades, I traveled the country jumping into large events in just about every major city...met a lotta great people & had a lotta fun.

'I met an L.A. girl' at an air show 20 years ago and it stuck, unquestionably the sweetest chocolate ever I pulled from the box...
That led to having a great family and getting to travel the world, often making a skydive in places I'd never heard of or dreamed I'd be when growing up.

Next Saturday I'll be 54, early in the day I'm jumping a small demo locally and then gonna kick it with family and friends for some 'Corrona & Cake'...I know I'll be thinking then as I do now, I am one lucky son of a bitch.

Happiness in life is often a roll of the dice, 'Ya never know what you're gonna get'.
After 36 amazing and wonderful years in the sport, I can without reservation honestly say:

'SKYdiving ~ been Berry Berry GOOD to ME' !! :$

;)B|

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Not 'til spring, I'm afraid. But I'll be making good use of the interim time. Windtunnel work, lots of reading, strength training. I'll be a monster!

Hi Rev

Get hold of a old rig from your local DZ and practice packing.

R.
One Jump Wonder