shah269

What is wrong with engineers? Shooting a dead horse.

Maybe it's just me....and it could JUST BE ME but WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH ENGINEERS!
I mean SERIOUSLY are most of them suffering from some mild form of Autism perhaps Asperger syndrome?
I was on a trip last week in a car with three engineers, 4.5 hours each way.....do you know how hard it was to get any of them to say a word! EVEN ABOUT THEIR WORK!
"So Joe, you play hockey? No kidding sounds like fun! How long have you played?"
Joe, 25 year old engineer "A few years"
"I'm guessing you must like it, so you play after work or before..."
Joe, looking out the window "depends"

Not much luck with the other two, I gave up, like I usually do when I'm on travel with engineers and do my own thing to keep my sanity.

My younger brother, typical engineer and is one. I got divorced, you know he never called to tell me "Dude that sucks life will be ok!" or "I'm sorry to hear that." 4 months later sends me an email about "challenging times and that there is always a solution to life's problems." WTF!

And here is another one from the kid, I just got a new car. Got a nice deal on it and it was time (just found out my old car was slowly developing a head gasket issue which would have cost me an arm and a leg). He's got a 3 series (life for him in upstate NY is cheap) I got a nice second hand 1 series three days before a major snow storm.
Sunday, no power for two days and the kid texts me, "pics of the car?" I'm thinking is this kid for real? So I shot him back a text saying "Nice car, not the best in the snow, power has been out for two days now."

I was expecting, "Dude that sucks" or "Shucks, wish you lived closer you could come crash with me." Nope I got a typical engineering response. "Yeah early snow fall will do that, that's why I put on my snow tires last week."

Asperger syndrome....like Autism boils down to one thing....the person in question is incapable of feeling or reading others emotional state. A total lack of empathy or emotional intelligence!
No wonder girls cringe when I tell them I'm an engineer. I mean who wants to date any of the above piles of MUSH!

Rant over. Lunch is over. Back to work.

Asperger syndrome is named after the Austrian pediatrician Hans Asperger who, in 1944, studied and described children in his practice who lacked nonverbal communication skills, demonstrated limited empathy with their peers

Life through good thoughts, good words, and good deeds is necessary to ensure happiness and to keep chaos at bay.

The only thing that falls from the sky is birdshit and fools!

This is when I wish there was an "Unsubscribe" button available :S ...

Simple solution.

Ignore all Shah threads.

And yes, that is an engineering response.

:D:D:D
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Did I hit a raw nerve?
SOME Engineering chicks are the worst a this, not only do they lack the ability to deal with human emotions but they have a superiority complex going as well...due to the 52 dues to 2 chicks in any given engineering office.

But I could care less about them, most are not my type....they are on a seefood diet. But my brother...I mean....man that kind of hurt....bro...WTF! I got more from some of you guys than I did from him.

And that bothers me....
Life through good thoughts, good words, and good deeds is necessary to ensure happiness and to keep chaos at bay.

>Maybe it's just me....and it could JUST BE ME but WHAT THE HELL IS
>WRONG WITH ENGINEERS!

Sounds like the one issue common to all your relationship issues (and you do seem to have a lot of them) is you.

>Joe, looking out the window "depends"

Joe's thinking "I wish this guy would stop talking. If he keeps talking he's going to start on his 'all engineers are autistic' and 'engineering women are all cows' thing and I just might have to open the door and jump. Please please PLEASE stop talking." But he's probably too nice to say that.

>Asperger syndrome....like Autism boils down to one thing....the person
>in question is incapable of feeling or reading others emotional state.

Can you imagine that? Someone incapable of reading your emotional state from a 16 word text message?

That was after an hour of quiet in the car....
4 people one car...4.5 hour long trip....and well I was the first to say something to start off....
I even tried the "So where did you go to school" and nothing.....

Like talking to bricks! I gave up after 15 min and just drove and didn't say shit on the way back home. Why try to be civil. Hell it was a quiet ride so I got time to think and wonder about life since none of the engineers said a word to each other.

As for my little brother....I give up on the kid. Like I said I got more "Are you ok" texts from some of you guys and gals than I got from my brother after telling him I didn't have power for two days. And the same with respect to when I got divorced.

As for the engineering girls? Well the new car is a two door, very nice car gorgeous white, sounds.....oh the sound....
"Where are you going to put the baby seat?" aaahh what?
"Oh that can't get good MPG." Hu?
Personal favorite "Why didn't you get a 5 series?"

My neighbor Jean who is not an engineer, "Shah great car, love the color, love the sound, good to see you smile."
One of the guys Bill "Wow nice! Love how they ran the line on that. And the sound....very sexy!"

Ever wonder why cars look like shit and sound like pregnant cows walking up a steep hill...and well drive as if you were sitting on one walking up a steep hill....I give you your problem...the car was designed by a few questionable engineers.

Nice guys, don’t get me wrong, very nice guys and gals but.....they sure are a little "touched".

Simple solution.

Ignore all Shah threads.

+2

Any yes that is a retired engr response,

:S:S:S:S:S

Shah stop posting from your federal Job on my $$$$!!!!!!

The feds used to have a waste frud and abuse hot line. Your leaving a cyber trail 3 yr's long.;)
One Jump Wonder

This reminds me of an interview I recently saw with Temple Grandin. She quite autistic, as in, she didn't start to talk until she was five, and all the doctors thought she would have to be institutionalized her whole life. As it would turn out, she ended up earning a PhD in psychology, and provides us with invaluable insight into the inner experiences of moderate to severely autistic people.

At any rate, when asked if, hypothetically, there were one day a pill that could cure autism, whether she would take it, she replied thusly:

(paraphrased)

"Autism isn't something where you either have it or you don't. Most of the people that we consider to be technical probably experience it to some degree, they're interested in things more than people. The world is better because they exist. I don't know who which caveman invented the first stone spear, but I can tell you it wasn't one of the yakity-yaks around the campfire."

I was expecting,

Stop doing things with an expectation of a return, life will get less frustrating.

As to Autism and Asperger (which i may know a little about).
Have you ever considered that your dogmatic approach to your world and the way you REPEATEDLY drone on about it, might be considered "neuro- atypical"
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Your problem is either A: You're a dick or B: The engineers you hang with are not normal engineers. The only problem I have with the engineers I hang with is getting them to STFU.
HAMMER:
Originally employed as a weapon of war, the hammer nowadays is used as a
kind of divining rod to locate the most expensive parts adjacent the
object we are trying to hit.

Maybe it's just me....and it could JUST BE ME but WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH ENGINEERS!

It's you. Glad we could help.

Now move along. There's nothing to see here.

+1
:D
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

Hell, Shah, my dad and all his buddies were aerospace engineers, great bunch of guys. When I was a kid our families would all go skiing, camping, whatever together. Those old guys were a lot of fun where ever we went.

Now my brother-in-law, very successful in computer programming, says an extroverted programmer is one that will stare at your feet while he's talking to you.

To everyone else in this thread: Sorry, I just didn't feel like beating up on Shah tonight. Maybe tomorrow. ;):D

WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH ENGINEERS!

What indeed?

"So Joe, you play hockey? No kidding sounds like fun! How long have you played?"
Joe, 25 year old engineer "A few years"
"I'm guessing you must like it, so you play after work or before..."
Joe, looking out the window "depends"

then . . .

Asperger syndrome....like Autism boils down to one thing....the person in question is incapable of feeling or reading others emotional state.

Uh . . . yeah . . . about that . . .

You asked him about something he probably should have been interested in talking about.

He gave you a short answer.

You tried to engage him again.

He stared out the window and gave you a clipped answer.

Asperger syndrome....like Autism boils down to one thing....the person in question is incapable of feeling or reading others emotional state.

Uh . . . looked in a mirror lately?
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

Simple solution.

Ignore all Shah threads.

You think that's what the blokes in the car were doing?
Experienced jumper - someone who has made mistakes more often than I have and lived.

Well, I got something from this thread because I'd never heard the phrase 'shooting a dead horse' before. Turns out it does exist, although 'flogging a dead horse' still makes a lot more sense to me. The saying, that is, not the action.