shah269

People who grill

When I first moved into my condo I was told I was not permitted to have a gas on my deck. Apparently the fire department was worried about potential explosions incase there was a fire. Thus I bought a very nice weber charcoal grill which was amazing to grill on.

Then one of the old ladies nearly burned down the entire neighborhood when she utilized what appears to have been a 55 galen grumble of lighter fluid to light her fire.....and thanks to her dumb ass behavior the fire department now has stated we can no longer have a charcoal grill either.......fracking old ladies.

So Im thinking of one of these electric grills. What do you guys suggest other than going on a old lady killing spree?
Life through good thoughts, good words, and good deeds is necessary to ensure happiness and to keep chaos at bay.

The only thing that falls from the sky is birdshit and fools!

I have one of those really cheap ones with no top, and it actually does a good job. HOWEVER: it really needs a cover; I use the top to my wok to cover the grill, which is the only thing that makes it hot enough to actually cook stuff.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

So these things are crap? You need a grill to get a grill to get to 600f for it to be with it's salt. Shucks
What a shame....I was hoping that this would not suck.
The weber I has was stainless steel and it was so freaking sexy and cooked so well.....
It worked better than chocolate wine in causing panties to melt.

Shucks franking old bitch burning her wig and nearly burning down her home
Life through good thoughts, good words, and good deeds is necessary to ensure happiness and to keep chaos at bay.

Well, it's cheap, but it turns out burgers with grill marks on them, and with the fat all at the bottom of the grill in a little pan.

I have to cover it, but that's just not a big deal.

They don't taste as good as charcoal with nice-smelling wood in them, but they taste much better than fried.

And when it's hot out, I can do it outdoors and have the heat stay out there.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

So Im thinking of one of these electric grills. What do you guys suggest other than going on a old lady killing spree?

Forget about grilling because that requires charcoal to achieve good flavor. While I can waver on the benefits of lump charcoal versus briquettes, gas is NOT an acceptable substitute.

Get into smoking with an electric smoker using auto-feeding wood flavor pellets and computer controlled temperature.

The best BBQ (pork shoulder) I've ever eaten came out of one of these

http://www.bradleysmoker.com/bradley-original-smoker.asp

with this computer controller to get a better handle on temperature

http://www.auberins.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=14&products_id=151&zenid=2443dbb149c4d9041377326461a1e34c

Having bought/rented a new home (government mortgage and real-estate market manipulation on behalf of PACs made buying a single family home a dumb idea, renting produced the neighbor from hell and would run $2500-3000 a month for something habitable/well located/without shared walls, but the arithmetic worked for buying a double wide trailer on a rented piece of land) with space for such a thing I'll order that combination this week.

You might be able to combine an electric grill with a separate smoker box but I've yet to sample the food resulting from such a setup.

So these things are crap? You need a grill to get a grill to get to 600f for it to be with it's salt. Shucks
What a shame....I was hoping that this would not suck.
The weber I has was stainless steel and it was so freaking sexy and cooked so well.....
It worked better than chocolate wine in causing panties to melt.

Shucks franking old bitch burning her wig and nearly burning down her home

Weber has a little electric model. Might want to look into it.

I just got a new Weber (NG) a few weeks ago. To replace my Weber that was sadly mostly crushed under the roof of my deck in February.

The side table was toast, the side burner was bent and it listed about 20o. BUT it still worked.

Name brand is the way to go.
'Shell

I agree 100% on the electric smoker idea... Pulled pork is the bomb!!! I am going to be using one of the auber instruments PID controllers to run my new brewery setup, and have done quite a bit of reading into it, they seem very simple to use, and quite accurate.
If you aren't grilling with charcoal, it isn't worth it. Go the smoker route, and do some real BBQ!!!
Besides the pork shoulder (my fav bbq food) check out beer butt chicken. Easy, and very tasty. Get good with the pork, then chicken, and by then you should be ready for the holy grail of bbq, ribs!!
Pork shoulder is the best thing to start on, due to the high fat content. If you have a hard time controlling the temp the fat will act as a buffer and you won't destroy the meat like you would with ribs. A light rub, a little basting (I usually do apple vinegar and oil, maybe a little bit of the rub thrown in) is all you need. 225f for approx 1.5 hours per lb (it will take a long time, but luckily it will be really easy with the electric!). To get the pork perfect for pulling, make sure you get a final temp of about 200-205f. Any less, and the tissue won't break down fully.
Good luck!

The Smokers I've seen have still used charcoal around the inside. Guess there's another kind? Ever seen this guy? I think he has a freakin PhD in grilling:

http://www.primalgrill.org/recipes.asp

Not_fur_nuttin, but one of these will cook whatever you want: http://www.georgeforemancooking.com/default.aspx The grills work a lot better than some of that site, though.

boys...BOYS!
I just want to cook some burgers, salmon and some kebab on the deck...
no smoking no nothing....15 min and I'm done kind of crap!

boys...BOYS!
I just want to cook some burgers, salmon and some kebab on the deck...
no smoking no nothing....15 min and I'm done kind of crap!

Shah, if you liked your Weber, they have a little electric model.

http://www.weber.com/explore/grills/electric

I LOVE Webers. Awesome BBQ's. Haven't tried their electric models but the two that I have had are fantastic.
'Shell

Electric grills instead of real smoke & flame?

Reminds me of that old salsa commercial . . .

"Where was this made?"

"NEW YORK CITY!":o

:P

Since Shah is no longer allowed to play with fire, it's the closest he'll get to a BBQ!!!

It might be the closest he gets to "NEW YORK CITY" ;):P
lisa
WSCR 594
FB 1023
CBDB 9

See that is just it, a crock pot takes even more time. No chopping stuff up to add to the pot, all you do is take the meat and place it in the smoker. Wait the right amount of time, take it out and eat. It really couldn't be easier.
I know I know, I am really pushing the smoker idea. I'll stop. Really though, if you can't use charcoal or even gas, then any outdoor grilling option will be identical in flavor to something you did on the stovetop... I don't see the need for a whole new device.

I'm smoking a ham for Thanksgiving on my side firebox grill.
Less work than the gas smoker. By far.
Although I think it requires more beer consumption......

I REEEEEEEELY want a brick or terracotta oven, but they're pretty expensive. I still consider building my own though.

I'm sort of window shopping for this style of smoker grill - just not this particular brand due to the cost. There are better and cheaper.