Shivon

Parachute Rigger Test Bank

An FAA question for DPREs or those helping new riggers: I understood that for the senior rigger test, 50 questions were selected from a bank of 290. But when I look at the latest (11/23/2004) Parachute Rigger Test Questions Bank on the FAA website http://av-info.faa.gov/data/airmanknowledge/rig.htm , I only see 118 questions. Can anyone explain this to me?

Can anyone explain this to me?

The old bank, dated 5/11/2004 (305 questions), contained a lot of confusing, outdated or wrong questions.

The new questions bank, dated 11/23/2004 (118 questions), looks better, but still has issues.

The actual test still consists of 50 questions from the bank.

They only reference Figures 10 and 14 now.

They removed any main alteration questions and the reserve alteration questions specifically refer to the ‘auxiliary parachute’.

There are 2 ‘double’ questions in the bank:

28. A44 RIG
During the inspection of a parachute intended for emergency use, a certificated senior parachute rigger finds a canopy section which shows evidence of weakness or damage. What procedure should be followed?
A) Contact the local FAA inspector for disposition instructions.
B) Refuse to pack the parachute in that condition.
C) Pack the parachute; however, a rejection tag should be placed in the record pocket.

46. A44 RIG
Inspection of a parachute reveals a canopy section which shows evidence of weakness or damage. The parachute rigger conducting the inspection shall
A) pack the parachute in the normal manner, but place a rejection tag in a conspicuous location on the pack.
B) contact the local FAA inspector for disposition instructions.
C) refuse to pack the parachute.

and;

101. P33 RIG
What determines the proper size sewing machine needle to use in repairing a parachute?
A) The machine being used.
B) The size of hole in the feed dog.
C) The thread size and material being used.

111. P33 RIG
Which of the following is used to determine the size of the sewing machine needle to be used for a particular job?
A) Size of the hole in the feed dog.
B) Length of the seam to be sewn.
C) Thread size and type of cloth.

The FAA puts ‘Parachute Operations’ low on their priority list. They have been making changes and updates. They aren’t perfect or current, but they are better. A FAA study guide is supposed to be released by the FAA soon and available from ASA.

My written study guide was supposed to be ready soon, but with the new bank, it will be delayed a bit.

Derek

Thanks for the comprehensive reply Derek. So let me get this straight - there are still 50 questions, but they are selected from the bank of 118 (well, 116 really with the doubles) instead of 305? I guess the average test result is going to get even higher this year.

Let me rephrase that:

The study guide I have from Poynter has 290 questions and answers to prepare for the FAA written test. Are the 118 questions from the new bank the same questions taken from the 290?

In other words the questions are the same , there is just not as many?

Thanks.

Actually, the question bank posted on the FAA website (http://www.faa.gov/education_research/testing/airmen/test_questions/media/rig.pdf) is only a representative sample of the questions asked. Here is a portion of an e-mail I got from the FAA on the subject:

"The questions that are available on the FAA web site are valid questions and may be used on a test; however, the actual data bank is a secure system and not available to the public. Guidance for this test is found in the Parachute Rigger Knowledge Test Guide, document number FAA-G-8082-15A (the revision B to this document will be available soon). This guide states, among other things, that only a representative sample of test items are made available to the public. The questions provided are representative of the total bank, and should provide a sufficient general study outline."

The parachute rigger knowledge test guide can be found at http://www.faa.gov/education_research/testing/airmen/test_guides/media/faa-g-8082-15a.pdf.

Hope this helps guide the study of any future riggers.

"Better a has-been than a never-was. Better a never-was than a never-tried-to-be..."