Marinus

I smoked half my life now....

At the moment, unless I"m missing the latest trend in fads.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

smokeless cigs.

I tried that too, and it actually worked great! You'll probably stay addicted to nicotine, but while it's not exactly healthy, the health hazards from smoking are only for a small part due to nicotine. Unfortunately, the things break down rather quickly in my experience....[:/]

I built my own battery pack, so my only real expenses are the atomizers and nicotine liquid. Atomizers last me several months at about $5 each, and liquid is $20 for over a month's supply....heck of a lot better than $45/week for cigs!
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

I built my own battery pack, so my only real expenses are the atomizers and nicotine liquid. Atomizers last me several months at about $5 each, and liquid is $20 for over a month's supply....heck of a lot better than $45/week for cigs!

With me the atomizers on average lasted a week. Probably because I used one of the bigger battery packs. The more permanent parts had also a tendency to break down too. I think it wasn't as expensive as smoking though, just not very encouraging. It does a good job in imitating the experience of smoking. It's not exactly "it", but I comes damn close.

@ Virgin Burner: there's a lot of different models out there, from completely crap to very good. Price doesn't say a whole lot, btw. It's best to join a forum or something, if you decide to go electronic/smokeless.

I think things are going well so far for you because you're really not physically addicted. You're in a postive mental state about not smoking...stay that way. Don't expect it to get harder.

I don't think there's much to the physical addiction of nicotine, it's mostly a mental thing. The last time I tried to go cold turkey (More then a decade ago) was way worse then now. But at that time I "tried not to smoke", and this time it's more like "I don't have to smoke". It also helps that I don't think of a smoke-free future as scary any more.

I know it's hard to use my comments in a practical way, but if you want, I can do you like me and come over there and put you in an unexpected situation where I can gaurantee you'll have no chance of smoking.

Hrm, this makes me both curious and scared. :o but If I say "yes, come over here" I'll probably end up on the bottom of a dry well, am I not right?

It's going great actually. The craving is mild, and while the trouble to concentrate is rather irritating, the hyperactivity part of it cleaned my house, ran a lot of errands and walked my dogs for 15 miles. I expected to feel like shit by now, but I actually feel good. I might have some trouble sleeping tonight, but if that's really an issue I just take a sleeping pill.

It's going great actually. The craving is mild, and while the trouble to concentrate is rather irritating, the hyperactivity part of it cleaned my house, ran a lot of errands and walked my dogs for 15 miles. I expected to feel like shit by now, but I actually feel good. I might have some trouble sleeping tonight, but if that's really an issue I just take a sleeping pill.

or you could hop in your car and drive here; my place would need a good cleaning too, and the dog's always up for additional entertainment!

makes me think, maybe i should quit as well; but i'm sort of afraid to gain even more.. :S
“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda

We had a woman at work who would sit in her cubby and smoke, it was under the curve of a staircase. She quit working there, and we cleaned up her cubby. I washed the ceiling above her desk, and it went from a grey-gold color to WHITE. The gunk that came off of that ceiling was amazing. I remember thinking "and her lungs are FULL of that!"
You are going to be so much better off!
Put the cash you would spend on cigs each day in a container. Look at it in a month. 2 months, 6 months. You will be amazed at how much richer you will be.
New Gear?
skydiveTaylorville.org
[email protected]

ass to mouth?

No thank you.:D

I was referring to a Goldfish Automated Teller Machine. Get yer head out of the gutter, you sick pervert.:P
Some people refrain from beating a dead horse. Personally, I find a myriad of entertainment value when beating it until it becomes a horse-smoothie.

i think i've seen some of them smokeless cigs at a kiosk running just short of 100$.. anyone has an idea for how long they last!?

The answer is....it depends. Excessive heat is what kills the atomizers. I usually get at least 2-3 months out of one. Keep it wet while you use it and give it time to cool off a bit between drags (2-3 drags a minute) and they'll last longer. This also gives time for the liquid to migrate down to the atomizer coil between drags so you don't get a 'burnt' taste.

As for batteries...again, it depends. The batteries are small (usually 300-600 mAh capacity) and you're usually hitting it around 1amp, so 1 battery won't last through the day except for the very lightest smokers. The solutions to that are to carry extra batteries, carry a charging case so that you can one battery 'topped off' while you use the other one, or build a higher capacity battery pack.

As for cost...again, it depends. You should be able to get a starter kit (2 atomizers, 2 batteries, battery charger and 5 prefilled cartridges) for $50 US or so. Add a couple of extra atomizers and some liquid to refill the cartridges and you're good to go for at least a couple weeks before you need to get more liquid.
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

or you could hop in your car and drive here; my place would need a good cleaning too, and the dog's always up for additional entertainment!

Nah, I just cleaned my own house again ;) and my dogs are exhausted again.

makes me think, maybe i should quit as well; but i'm sort of afraid to gain even more..

Time wasted smoking could be used as time for exercise. I'm sort of thinking about buying some running shoes and pick up running again myself.

New Gear?

Well, I only did one tandem-jump, and although I saw the light big time, I might decide to wait with buying gear till after I finish my AFF. :);)

@ LongWayToFall: Chewing gum indeed. My jaw muscles are burning at the moment. :$

@ Katzeye: I actually stopped for 3 months after reading that book. And then I was going out with some friends, took one cigarette, and was puffing away 20-30 cigarettes again within a week.:S

Try the electronic cigarette. It's worked for me.

I rarely ever use the e-cig only when I'm drinking.

The weight of it reminds you to "quit" smoking.

Pick up your work outs, and that will force you to quit. I was on the treadmil weezing and I'm like: fuck smoking. so I quit.
Best Girl Scout Ever.

My neighbor was a smoker for 40 years. She started as a teenager. It ate her gums and the underlying bone. She's had surgery to repair both. The doc wouldn't do it if she wouldn't quit.

She quit 10 years ago. She used a patch. She still wears the patch (small one).

My point is to do what it takes, before it takes you [:/]

Good luck and best wishes on beating this :)

lisa
WSCR 594
FB 1023
CBDB 9

BUMP!

It's almost a week (6 days, 21 hours) now, so I practice my constitutional right to do some attention whoring. Things are going great btw, it's been much easier than I expected it to be.

While it wasn't the most pleasant week of my life, over all it has been a profoundly positive experience. There's some mild cravings, but it can't really compete with the added health I'm already starting to notice.

I didn't gain weight yet, (I'm loosing weight at the moment) but I picked up some bad habits. My consumption of chewing gum went through the roof, from about 5 pieces to around 50 a day. Actually that was the only bad habit I picked up, but it seems I've a serious chewing gum problem....

Well, that's about it, I think I'll bore you all again when I make it to one month. And guess where the 50 Euros I saved this week are going B|:)

actually, because of your thread i started rolling my own.. and i'm already saving about 3/4 of the money i spent on smokes..

not really quitting, but eventually, i'll get there!
“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda

Congrats on your first week. I forgot to mention this before, but... I'd psyched myself up for the first four days when I quit. They went amazingly smoothly. The following week I thought I'd get arrested for assault for sure. It can make you a bit cranky. Good Luck.

Are you gassy? All that gum chewing could produce major bubblage! :o

Congrats on making it a week now. I hope it continues!

Smoking killed my ex father-in-law. He died after a 2 week slow death of not being able to get off his respirator after needing a triple bypass. He had quit smoking 6 months prior, but the 40 years of puffing took its toll. We stood by his beside as his organs slowly quit working. He was never able to speak to us, he just looked at us with pleading eyes. That was 18 years ago, but I will never forget his anguish. Please don't smoke again.

She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon