Marinus

I smoked half my life now....

Just do what I did. Wait till you get cancer and they take out your kidney and ureter then put you on chemo for a few months. It cured me of smoking.....

That's the weird part, I didn't really worry about cancer during the 15 years I was smoking...however now I've quit and am healthier than I've been in 20 years or better..., I'm seriously concerned about what I may have done to myself with those stupid things. :|

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Well, unless it's that other stuff that you smoke, then Cali's not the place to try to quit.

Probably better then the Netherlands though.;) But Marijuana is at best a "Oh, well, why not" thingy when someone passes me a joint on a party or something. After taking a few hits, I am usually quick to remember "why not". I know few people that produce more verbal BS after smoking pot then I do.

smokeless cigs.

I tried that too, and it actually worked great! You'll probably stay addicted to nicotine, but while it's not exactly healthy, the health hazards from smoking are only for a small part due to nicotine. Unfortunately, the things break down rather quickly in my experience....[:/]

"There is no such thing as an ex-smoker, it is just a smoker who is not smoking."

Dunno, Dave. I was a heavy smoker for ten years. When I decided to quit. I knew it would require a major lifestyle change. I set a date, & did it Cold Turkey: September 7, 1989 @1:15AM B|...

I internalized the change because I wanted to. I don't miss it. I don't want it. I'm an ex-smoker.

Good Luck, Marinus. It's a mind game. Set your mind to it, & you'll do it.

I quit a couple of years ago. It's hard, but if it is something you want, the you'll be able to do it.

A friend of mine told me something that really helped me out: "There is no such thing as an ex-smoker, it is just a smoker who is not smoking. So with that in mind, you are a puff away from chain smoking the rest of your life. All you have to do is not take that first puff."

It makes sense and it really helped me.

GOOD LUCK!

I can back that up 100%!
I smoked for 22 years. This month make sit 11 years since I quit. I still get an urge to light one up, but that urge has progressively gotten less and less intense and less and less often as the years go by.
Yep, I'm still a smoker. I just don't smoke.
Yep, I'm just one tiny little innocent puff away from becoming a chain smoker.
One thing I learned is that to quit you have to want to quit. You won't succeed quitting because somebody else wants you to, you have to be sick and tired of smoking. Then you can quit. :)
HAMMER:
Originally employed as a weapon of war, the hammer nowadays is used as a
kind of divining rod to locate the most expensive parts adjacent the
object we are trying to hit.

I'm off to bed in a few, that means this will be my last cigarette. I don't really enjoy it, so that's good. However, tomorrow I'll probably idolize this cancer stick. I didn't follow my own advise to get drunk, and that's probably a good thing. Well, we'll see what happens. Thank you all for supporting me in this.

One of the things that confounds me is the fact that so many folks at my DZ smoke.... IMHO this sport is far too cool to die young and not enjoy it until you are an ol' fart.
My addictions have always been geared more toward things that excite me..... :$

Good luck kicking that expensive and unhealthy habit!

Fear is the thief of dreams.....

One of the things that confounds me is the fact that so many folks at my DZ smoke.... IMHO this sport is far too cool to die young and not enjoy it until you are an ol' fart.
!

Think about the personalities drawn to this sport.

They tend to be addictive types. Addicted to jumping. Addicted to smoking...drinking...dope. Eclectic group all around.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Tomorrow buy a drink that you hate and drink it every time you want a cigarette. I used Root Beer and it seemed to work for me.

I also kept 2 cigarettes on me and would swear at them every time they called my name.

Been off 11 years now so it worked for me,

Good luck. Weaker people then you have done it.;)

you have to be sick and tired of smoking. Then you can quit. Smile

True that.
Had my last @ 23:55 31 Dec 2008.

Still miss it though, so I guess I'm on Aggiedave's team

99% of the time I have no problems. Every once in a while, BAM, I do. The trick is to be prepared for that 1% and to be able to resist it. At first it was hard, no it is no big deal to resist that 1%.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

It's far too early to cry victory, but up until now things are going great. Fortunately the S.O. decided to tag along this morning, so that makes things a lot easier for me because there's no tobacco in the house any more. I've the attention span of a goldfish ATM, and I'm hyperactive, but the cravings are minimal. I know that things will get worse for the next 3 or 4 days, but as far as I'm considered my start is excellent.:)

I think I’ll take a couple of drinks too many tonight, cause I figured that nothing says “Welcome to your new life” more clear, then walking the dogs in the morning in the pouring rain with a hangover whilst hating the world and feeling sorry for one self.

I did it like this. Got really, really wasted one night and tomorrow I got hangover from hell. Cigs tasted like mega-sh*t and made me vomit. That helped to get over the first day. The lollipops helped the next two months.
I gained weight, about 12 pounds in the first month and a half, but not much after that.

Been smoking for 10 years, 6 years since I quit.

I also feel like a member of AggieDave`s group - smoker that doesn`t smoke, because I still have cravings from time to time. But it is not that difficult to manage now. :)
Keep at it.
dudeist skydiver #42

Well, we'll see what happens.

It's far too early to cry victory, but up until now things are going great.....I know that things will get worse for the next 3 or 4 days...

Don't set yourself up for failure. Things are going great now, expect it to stay that way.

I think we tend to make quitting harder than it needs to be. Personally, I think smoking is more of a mental addiction than physical. I only say this because several years ago when I was a smoker, I was unexpectedly put into a situation where there was no chance of getting cigs and smoking for an extended period of time.

I was suprised how well I was able to cope with not smoking. It was like once my brain knew there was no chance of smoking and that it just wasn't gonna happen, there weren't any withdrawls...no headaches, frustration, edgyness, whatever.

It was a major breakthough in realizing how smoking was not as physically addicting as I thought and that quitting should be easier...it's all in the head.

I think things are going well so far for you because you're really not physically addicted. You're in a postive mental state about not smoking...stay that way. Don't expect it to get harder.

I know it's hard to use my comments in a practical way, but if you want, I can do you like me and come over there and put you in an unexpected situation where I can gaurantee you'll have no chance of smoking.;)
Your secrets are the true reflection of who you really are...

:)
The lesson I learned though: it's largely about the mentality you develop when you're smoking. Now that I know I'm prone to picking them back up just because I like having something to do, a reason to go outside and like that it feels good I realize it's going to take an even bigger commitment to abstain than I thought.

I used to think it was ok, since I had quit for the most part, to smoke - only when I would drink or after an awesome meal - but set me up for failure so... now I actually go outside to enjoy the fresh air or socialize, because that's a cool-ass thing to do but I never even think about smoking, not cigars, not cigarettes, not **** or anything because it's just not worth the risk.

It's far too early to cry victory, but up until now things are going great. Fortunately the S.O. decided to tag along this morning, so that makes things a lot easier for me because there's no tobacco in the house any more. I've the attention span of a goldfish ATM, and I'm hyperactive, but the cravings are minimal. I know that things will get worse for the next 3 or 4 days, but as far as I'm considered my start is excellent.:)

Goldfish ATM???:o
Some people refrain from beating a dead horse. Personally, I find a myriad of entertainment value when beating it until it becomes a horse-smoothie.