Peej

Any of you culture vultures know about opera?

Oh but Wagner is awesome! Deep, heavy, moving, and stunning music. This past Saturday I got a chance to see Goetterdaemmerung, the final opera of Wagner's 15 hour cycle called "The Ring of the Nibelungen" at the Met (I caught all four).

This cycle of operas is where all the jokes about it not being over until the fat lady sings originated, and culminates in (essentially) the world burning down. It is true that Wagner takes a little getting used to, and some patience, but when he wants to, he can blow your ears through your ass!
A One that Isn't Cold is Scarcely a One at All

Great music for napalming beachesB|, but not apparently for driving.....The RAC (Royal Automobile Club) recently advised that it is one of the most dangerous pices of music to listen to while driving.:SB|
"Britain's RAC Foundation for Motoring on Wednesday named the strident classical piece the No. 1 tune not to play while driving, based on research it says shows loud music can cause accidents."
Savages!B|

Full details here http://www.racfoundation.org/releases/150404rac.htm
--------------------

He who receives an idea from me, receives instruction himself without lessening mine; as he who lights his taper at mine, receives light without darkening me. Thomas Jefferson

Wagner is awesome! He is one of my top 5 composers. Do you remember that commercial in the early 90's where the guy sets up his new audio system and then sits in his chair while the music blows everything backwards? (I think it was for magnavox or TDK or something) That is what happens when you listen to Wagner. And I'm not just talking volume. He pushed the envelope further than it had ever been pushed (not unlike some people in skydiving :)
Oh, and I HATE Mozart with 99.998% of my soul (the fugues in his requiem being his one saving grace)

Well, the nice thing about Bayreuth is that with a 10 year waitlist, it gives you time to save up the money. Bayreuth is on my list of things to do, too, by the way.

As I recall, Seattle is planning on doing a production of it next year, if you are interested.

I love the opera with the exception of Wagner. Give me Mozart, Puccini, Verdi, and I'm yours. :)

Oh come on!!! One of the funniest memories I have is watching Tristan und Isolde in Germany with my Oma and listening to her curse in German - "My god woman, just die!!!"

HAHAHAHAHA

My favorite by far is Turandot.

Jump
Scars remind us that the past is real

Oh, Darling, put on the Queen of the Night aria from The Magic Flute, turn up the volume and blast off!!

YES! I played that this past sunday morning while I watched canopies rain from the sky B|B|

I the magic flute in germany too - but performed by a polish troupe - that was tough :D:D

With so many opera nuts here - maybe an opera boogie? Jump all day, then put on the ritz to go see an opera? So many more I want to see.....

Jump
Scars remind us that the past is real

My favorite opera: The Rabbit of Seville!!

:P:D

Yeah, Bugs Bunny is the only one I know who can take a 19 hour opera and condense it into 15 minutes.

Considering all the praise i'm heaping on Wagner in this thread, you'd think it's all I listen to. That's not the case. My favorite composer is actually Shostakovich, and I don't know his operas at all...

Nope, you're thinking of What's Opera, Doc? where they pay homage to the Ring (and Tannhaeuser, by the way). The Rabbit of Seville is the one where Elmer Fudd and Bugs Bunny go into the opera house just as its about to start and it uses the overture to Barber of Seville while Fudd tries to shoot Bugs among Barbershop-related paraphernalia.

This is one of my favorites...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LbE4PYyJKKE&feature=related

He could really sing, couldn't he?
Too bad I can't sing. I'd love to sing Tosca's last line: "O Scarpia, avanti a Dio!" every time I left the the plane!B|
My blog with the skydiving duck cartoons.