TiaDanger

What do you drive...manual or automatic?

Have learned on manual transmission and driven manuals. Had to drive an automatic when I was in Canada in 99 and loved it along with cruise control. Driving a Skoda Octavia with automatic transition (6 shifts), mainly around town. Sucks up less petrol than my 5-shift manual Mitsubishi Lancer in the early 90s :)
Cars with automatic transition are a minority here,, about 10-15%, I guess. It's mainly folks who drive the car because of their business and old farts. Both enjoy the comfort: I just need a car that I can drive with as little effort as possible, so to say.

Many people told me: "Auto? Nah! I wanna have something to do when driving!" Can't help it, but reminds me of "My dick is longer than yours." :P

The sky is not the limit. The ground is.

The Society of Skydiving Ducks

Manual.

For 32+ years now.
Because automatics are for retards and the disabled.

Hi Phil,
"Yer comment kinda reminds me of the old daze when Drag Racing was still a "Grass Roots" sport and any one could be a weekend Hot Shot with a $25 junkyard special ...till ya' blew the head gasket at 100mph!! All ya' needed was a stick trans with a good first and second gear, hardly ever got to third in the quarter mile!! Oh yeah, an did ya' have a "Cue Ball" on the end of your shifter?? or a piston?? 'Remember those Ed "Big Daddy" Roth cartoons and carz?? Auto trans were fer yer geeks, nerds and "Jomoma" back then. Didja' have dual glasspak cherry bombs with lakes?? Cruzin' the drive-in on Fri. night "DERDERDERVOOMVOOM" Hey Milner!!

I believe the fastest drag racers use automatic transmissions. It was that way a while back anyway, maybe it has changed.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

I believe the fastest drag racers use automatic transmissions.

The old style of preloading a traditional automatic transmission for a launch is incredibly destructive. You absolutely do NOT want to drive that way in normal day-to-day situations.

The entire process can be computerized now and is in more modern cars complete with "launch control" settings.

So, really we have three versions of transmissions today: manual, automatic and these newer highly computerized gearboxes such as the DSG.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Direct-Shift_Gearbox

I've owned all three. I enjoy driving a stick under the proper conditions and absolutely hate it in traffic, which I get a LOT of living in LA. The DSG with paddle shifters AND stick give me the absolute most flexibility and joy.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

Mostly Autos just because that happens to be what was in the cars I've owned except car#2 which was an old '84 Ford Tempo. I drive a stick ok, recently rented one in Germany...getting used to a stick again after having not driven one in a decade while tossing myself headfirst into Berlin highway traffic was a hoot! And NOT for the skittish.

Modern Autos eliminate the mileage penalty. I got an '00 Grand Cherokee with an inline-6 Golen 4.6 Stroker packing 24PPH injectors stuffed under the hood and a stock 4 speed Auto with overdrive and a lockup converter.

Sucker gets 22.9 MPG at 80 MPH. Not bad for a 300 horse 2-ton tank with comfy seats. The transmission is very timid but shifted by hand it'll let the engine really rip.
Oh... and as for whoever said Autos don't do engine braking? You never drove an Auto with a jacked up high compression engine in it. The Auto in this thing does not cope well with the engine and will allow forced downshifts to 2nd at speeds beyond the top of 2nd. So If I'm doing 75 and punch it TOO hard, it'll unlock the converter, drop the overdrive and downshift to 3rd, (no problem) but floor it a BIT harder and it'll go to 2nd, instantly redlining the engine at 7000+rpm, applying VIOLENT engine braking and slamming my face into the steering wheel. I'm working with my transmission builder to tune that out.B| The stock engine had neither the balls to hit that hard nor the compression to engine-brake that violently... not really the transmission's fault, it still thinks its hooked to a relaxed 4-liter incapable of such behavior.

This truck would be fun to convert to a stick but I think it'd be hard to keep the tires stuck to the ground. 320 ft-lb torque. Even with the Auto softening the edges this thing can break all 4 tires loose in 4wd on wet pavement if you stomp it too hard. If this was a stick it'd do 4-corners smokeshows all day long and go through tires like toilet paper. The premium high octane it eats is enough expense as it is.

-B

Live and learn... or die, and teach by example.

I believe the fastest drag racers use automatic transmissions.

The old style of preloading a traditional automatic transmission for a launch is incredibly destructive. You absolutely do NOT want to drive that way in normal day-to-day situations.

I know it isn't a good idea, but 15 years ago when I took some advanced driving training while working at Honda, they had us all driving Accords and doing exactly that - preloading the tranny at full throttle over and over again. They use those same cars every day and subject them to that abuse.

It was my undestanding that top fuel/rail type dragsters used an auto tranny. Of course they are very special units, obviously, but the point is that even they use them because they get better performance than they can manage with a manual.

I wonder what the increased cost of a DSG is, that would be ideal.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

13 speed manual, only use the clutch to get rollin, after that just slip it outta gear drop 300 rpm and slip it into the next gear!

Hi froggy,
Sounds like an 18 wheeler?? 'Usta drive an International 10 speed "Pumpkin" OTR Long Haul big Glass Flat Bed fer Schneider Specialized a few years ago. 'Ya needed all those gears goin thru the East Coast mountains haulin 79,800 lbs. gross on the scales!!! Smoke those brakes and turn on the Jake goin' down hill "HooooBoy!!"
SCR-2034, SCS-680

III%,
Deli-out

13 speed manual, only use the clutch to get rollin, after that just slip it outta gear drop 300 rpm and slip it into the next gear!

Hi froggy,
Sounds like an 18 wheeler?? 'Usta drive an International 10 speed "Pumpkin" OTR Long Haul big Glass Flat Bed fer Schneider Specialized a few years ago. 'Ya needed all those gears goin thru the East Coast mountains haulin 79,800 lbs. gross on the scales!!! Smoke those brakes and turn on the Jake goin' down hill "HooooBoy!!"

I do that in my manual xmission car. I don't know how the big trucks work, but at least in Saabs, once you know your RPM's, you can shift seamlessly without a clutch. Downshifting is a practice of perfect throttle blip.

"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never know if they are genuine" - Abraham Lincoln

Yes topmfuelmdragsters use a 2 speed automatic tranny last i remember. When hundreths of a second REALLY matter, an automatic tranny is the way to go. Because autos do shift faster in the end. But dont worry those trannys are rebuilt after EVERY run, due to the immense wear on them.
Thanatos340(on landing rounds)--
Landing procedure: Hand all the way up, Feet and Knees Together and PLF soon as you get bitch slapped by a planet.

Hi froggy,

Hi Froogy,
80,000+ logs ona mountain road, sounds like Maine?? That an' ya' been listenin' to Little Feat's "Willin," "..every kinda' rig that's ever been made,,,,,drivin' the back roads so I wouldn't get weighed!! .....Give Meeeeeeeeeeeeeeee...Weed, Whites and wine..an' show me a sign..!!" 'Like the "live" version they did in "Live oak Fla.!!
SCR-2034, SCS-680

III%,
Deli-out

Always auto. I learned to drive on an automatic, and have lived in & near cities all my life with lots of stop & go traffic, so I've never changed. Now I feel like I need to learn to drive a manual so I don't feel like a pussy retard if I ever have to drive a stick or go overseas.
But I don't know where I'd learn. In the USA, almost all rental cars are auto.
Speed Racer
--------------------------------------------------

>So, really we have three versions of transmissions today: manual,
>automatic and these newer highly computerized gearboxes such as the
>DSG.

And non-transmissions like the power splitter (PSD) that some hybrids use. And the CVT's that some small cars use.

But I don't know where I'd learn. In the USA, almost all rental cars are auto.

My first drive was a tractor, 6-7 years old. Then it was mini bikes and motorcycles before ever being old enough to drive a car. My driver's ed class even had a couple of stick shift cars. I guess I was lucky to start that way.:)
I don't think I've ever seen a rental with a stick.:)

I do that in my manual xmission car. I don't know how the big trucks work, but at least in Saabs, once you know your RPM's, you can shift seamlessly without a clutch. Downshifting is a practice of perfect throttle blip.

no kidding! ever since i learned to float gears in a kenworth, i only use the clutch to get started...and the best part, my wife can do the same thing! :)

I don't think I've ever seen a rental with a stick.:)

I found out that Uhaul has sticks in some of their big trucks. :o At least they did here a few years ago. They were older trucks and a bit cheaper which made it ok for me. ;)

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Rap is to music what etch-a-sketch is to art.

Yes, I did.
About 32 years before I was ready to make a statement on here.

However, I will say that Nissan's CVT is winning me over. That's what an automatic should feel like!!! My wife loves it.

Because automatics are for retards and the disabled.

Wow. That's really profound. Did you put a lot of thought into that?

So I'm seeing this one girl....size 0 and has a job and is educated... ;)
Want to make a girls panties melt? Sure you can be suave and sexy like me...or you can on your way back to her place after a nice evening of mechanical bull riding, take her hand and place it on the stick. Place your hand over hers and say "You feel that...."
Her (deep sexy voice) "Yes"
Me "That's the cars heartbeat...each of those little vibrations are little explosions."
Her "wow"
Me "yeah, Ok now we are going to slip it into first.......and slide it into second.....and here we go as we move into third. How does that feel..."
Her "good"

And that's all she wrote boys and girl...that's all she wrote!

Life through good thoughts, good words, and good deeds is necessary to ensure happiness and to keep chaos at bay.

The only thing that falls from the sky is birdshit and fools!

How tall are you?

5'8" what does that have to do with the price of sinchros in China?
Life through good thoughts, good words, and good deeds is necessary to ensure happiness and to keep chaos at bay.

The only thing that falls from the sky is birdshit and fools!

Just curious.

You obviously like teeny-tiny girls.

Girls who are taller very rarely are less than a size 8. Unless they are anorexic. [:/]

Are you saying a size 6 5'10" person has an eating disorder?

And Shah, I think your car needs a tune up:P

"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never know if they are genuine" - Abraham Lincoln