jtval

iHate MAC. Help!!

Best feature, I feel, on Mac OS X- preview.

Click an item (any file), then hit space bar. Songs play, photos enlarge, videos preview, pdfs enlarge... all without opening a host program.

For screenshots, press Cmd+shift+4. Draw a box around what you want to take a shot of and it will appear on your desktop. Hit space before taking the shot and you can get screengrabs of individual application windows.
Come, my friends! 'Tis not too late to seek out a newer world!

I really can't help you with the specific problems you list here, but one thing I can suggest for any new Mac user is to take the time to run through "Mac 101" and "Switch 101." You can find both tutorials at the bottom of the apple.com support home page. http://www.apple.com/support/

Mac 101 is just that, a basic intro. Switch 101 is an "I can do this on my PC, how do I do it on my Mac" tutorial.

These aren't going to help you at the level you are trying to work with video editing, etc., but it will help keep all the little frustrations (like taking a screen grab) from building up and frustrating you even more.
Killing threads since 2004.

I really can't help you with the specific problems you list here, but one thing I can suggest for any new Mac user is to take the time to run through "Mac 101" and "Switch 101." You can find both tutorials at the bottom of the apple.com support home page. http://www.apple.com/support/

Mac 101 is just that, a basic intro. Switch 101 is an "I can do this on my PC, how do I do it on my Mac" tutorial.

These aren't going to help you at the level you are trying to work with video editing, etc., but it will help keep all the little frustrations (like taking a screen grab) from building up and frustrating you even more.

EXCELLENT!!!
Thanks. I will view them.
My photos

My Videos

EXCELLENT!!!
Thanks. I will view them.

have you manually installed any drivers for your video camera? i found sony cameras dont always play nice with macs unless you download a third party driver

also macs are more user friendly and intuitive then pc's in the same way as english might be an easier language then russian. it dosnt mean that switching from russian to english is going to be easy

there are many things that windows and os can both do but they both do them differently, that is the entire point if they did everything the same there would only be one operating system

to me windows lets you do too much stupid shit and that stupid shit eventually clogs up your system

as for dragging your backups somewhere why aren't you using time machine? you will never have to worry aout backing up again

rehash of an old post....

I've used time machine three times.
it completely filled up my back up drive because from what i was told be the genius at Apple store is that back up doesnt progessively add files to the folders. it OVER WRITES the previous back up unless you choose to save the back ups as different projects.

Why would I want to continue filling up hard drives wihth some of the same info in three different "back-ups?" If I merged all of the backups it would take less the 2ce the space on the disk.

PLease tell me I was misinformed.

I.E.
If you look at the attachment it may clear things up.

I want to be able to drag my "media" folder to my back up drive which already has a "media" folder while keeping the old info and adding the new.

Is there a way to do that without having to open every subfolder and selecting every file on my computer to drag into the corresponding subfolder on my back up drive?

I would have to go to my computer "Media/Skydive/JT Dives" and select those files and drop them into my back up drive under the "Media/Skydive/JT Dives folder."

THAT is super time consuming
My photos

My Videos

rehash of an old post....

I've used time machine three times.
it completely filled up my back up drive because from what i was told be the genius at Apple store is that back up doesnt progessively add files to the folders. it OVER WRITES the previous back up unless you choose to save the back ups as different projects.

Why would I want to continue filling up hard drives wihth some of the same info in three different "back-ups?" If I merged all of the backups it would take less the 2ce the space on the disk.

PLease tell me I was misinformed.

I.E.
If you look at the attachment it may clear things up.

I want to be able to drag my "media" folder to my back up drive which already has a "media" folder while keeping the old info and adding the new.

Is there a way to do that without having to open every subfolder and selecting every file on my computer to drag into the corresponding subfolder on my back up drive?

I would have to go to my computer "Media/Skydive/JT Dives" and select those files and drop them into my back up drive under the "Media/Skydive/JT Dives folder."

THAT is super time consuming

I guess "intuitive" is sucking for you huh

:ph34r:

From Wiki:P
From the beginning, Apple deliberately sought to minimize by design the user's conceptual awareness of the operating system as such. Tasks that on other products required a more explicit working knowledge of an operating system would on a Macintosh be accomplished by intuitive mouse gestures and manipulation of graphical control panels. The intention was that the product would thus be more user-friendly and so more easily mastered. This would differentiate it from devices using other operating environments, such as MS-DOS machines, which were more technically challenging to operate.

1) Time Machine uses progressive back-ups. It doesn't overwrite everything nor does it save every bit of data every time it backs up your machine. It DOES compare your currently saved backup with the data currently on your machine and saves the delta thereof. The default is to continue to do this until all available space has been used on the Time Machine drive. However, this is user configurable. You might want to read up on it.

2) Your Time Machine drive should NOT be used for other things like little side back ups. This pretty well defeats the entire purpose of Time Machine. If you want to make side back ups or have a media drive, then do that and leave your Time Machine drive to do what it's doing -- giving you a way to get EXACTLY back to a known configuration and files after catastrophes.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

Whooo-what?

Did you just...wait. Huh?

The way I did it on windows was manually.(probably differential)

I dragged the folder to my back up drive and mirrored it.

Since I never leave my backup drive attached to the computer used to do it manually on windows.

I was hoping to do the same on Mac.
My photos

My Videos

Yea. I had a separate drive for time machine. I don't understand how the 1TB drive filled up after three timemachine backups when my hard drive is only 500gb.

I would recommend against having automatic backups on when using time machine, particularly if you use [hilariously enough, apple] programs that have large library objects like aperture, etc. or if you have your computer go to sleep in less than an hour, and routinely come back to your computer to perform brief tasks. You'll find yourself constantly frustrated with your computer trying to back up while you're in the middle of using it and creating huge redundant copies of information on your backup drive. I don't understand why apple was/is so proud of their "one setting" program when that one setting is so completely unworkable.

If, however, you leave automatic backups off and just hit "Back Up Now" when you're done with what you're doing and you've closed the big library programs it does work fairly well and is not too dissimilar to what it sounds like you're used to doing.

Yea. I had a separate drive for time machine. I don't understand how the 1TB drive filled up after three timemachine backups when my hard drive is only 500gb.

I would recommend against having automatic backups on when using time machine, particularly if you use [hilariously enough, apple] programs that have large library objects like aperture, etc. or if you have your computer go to sleep in less than an hour, and routinely come back to your computer to perform brief tasks. You'll find yourself constantly frustrated with your computer trying to back up while you're in the middle of using it and creating huge redundant copies of information on your backup drive. I don't understand why apple was/is so proud of their "one setting" program when that one setting is so completely unworkable.

If, however, you leave automatic backups off and just hit "Back Up Now" when you're done with what you're doing and you've closed the big library programs it does work fairly well and is not too dissimilar to what it sounds like you're used to doing.

Alternatively, you could have it backup every night at say, 3 am when you're probably not using it.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

When I got my iMac I instantly loved it. Not so for the iPad, but I found I could figure it out easily enough. I'm still peeved I didn't wait for the second generation iPad, but I really do think it's SO much nicer to use than a PC...

One thing I *really* love is how fast it boots up / shuts down... PCs just seem to be operating on archaic technology in this case... I swear my piece of shit Samsung takes like 15 minutes to get to the internet and my iMac about 15 seconds...
"There is no problem so bad you can't make it worse."
- Chris Hadfield
« Sors le martinet et flagelle toi indigne contrôleuse de gestion. »
- my boss

I'm still peeved I didn't wait for the second generation iPad

Well, the iPad 3 should be hitting shelves sometime early next year. Upgrade. :P
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

Alternatively, you could have it backup every night at say, 3 am when you're probably not using it.

I've always thought the best solution would be to always perform a backup prior to going to sleep after a period of inactivity. Although I haven't seen any third party tools to set this up and I'm too lazy to tinker around and write one myself.

When I got my iMac I instantly loved it. Not so for the iPad, but I found I could figure it out easily enough. I'm still peeved I didn't wait for the second generation iPad, but I really do think it's SO much nicer to use than a PC...

One thing I *really* love is how fast it boots up / shuts down... PCs just seem to be operating on archaic technology in this case... I swear my piece of shit Samsung takes like 15 minutes to get to the internet and my iMac about 15 seconds...

I love my Mac, now. I liked it a lot when I first bought it,too. However I had some growing pains. I still don't know how to do everything I would like to do on it. But, I love it.
My photos

My Videos

Backups...pain in the ass until you need them :-)

I have a Time Machine drive at work and have excluded everything except my data files for work (I have music, etc on there that I don't have Time Machine backing up.

I also have another drive that I make bootable backups with using a program called SuperDuper! During busy season, I try to run this every day before going home and bring the drive home with me. After the first backup it only backs up what has changed. This way I have my entire system, applications, everything and restoring to a new hard drive or a replacement machine only takes a couple of hours and in the meantime I can boot off this drive and work on it if need be. Well worth the price!!! I also have used this when replacingmy laptop hard drive with a new large drive. I put the new drive into an external case, do a backup to it and then take it out and put it into the laptop. Most painless way ever devised of getting your existing system onto a new hard drive.

I also use a service called Backblaze that backs up my data offsite. It works constantly in the background uploading files that have changed.
It won't back up the system, etc. but it does a great job of keeping a copy of my data up to date. You can throttle the upload speed so that it doesn't interfere with your computers speed while you are working on it.

Anyway, I am rambling on about the backup stuff that I do on my Macs in the hope that you may find something useful. As Quade noted above, look for large files that you change frequently as Time Machine saves every hour during the day, then saves one backup for the day and later one backup for the week and then the month I believe.

This site may give you some good ideas for tracking down the cause. It has links to a couple of programs that will show you exactly what is being backed up.

Good luck!
--
Murray

"No tyranny is so irksome as petty tyranny: the officious demands of policemen, government clerks, and electromechanical gadgets." - Edward Abbey