champu

Okay... Suppose You Lost Your Wallet and It Was Returned to You Intact...

Every poll should come with an "other" option.

I suppose the answer would hinge on who gave it back. If it was someone who appeared to be better off than myself, it would be a heartfelt "thank you". If it was someone who looked like they could have used the money more than me, I would offer a reward (on a subconscious sliding scale).
lisa
WSCR 594
FB 1023
CBDB 9

...what do you offer as a reward?

If they're returning it WITH the money intact, then that means they're an honest person who doesn't expect any reward for doing the right thing - they returned it just because they're honest, period. They might even be insulted if you offer them money in thanks.

I've found a wallet and a check book. The wallet was returned to the bank that the debit card was issued from. Left my name and contact info. It had cash and cards. Never heard back from the owner. The check book with ID was collected by the owner. She offered a few bucks which I accepted. Used the cash to buy ice cream for that night's dessert. The whole family enjoyed the treat.
50 donations so far. Give it a try.

You know you want to spank it
Jump an Infinity

Happend to me.

I gave him the cash inside, 78 bucks.

Said thank you and walked .

This. I know the OPs example had much more cash in it but the fact of the matter is I can't remember the last time I carried around that much cash.

...in fact, I run so much of my life online and by plastic now, that I'd probably have to have them follow me to an ATM to get them a decent reward!

Elvisio "I'll think about it more" Rodriguez

They might even be insulted if you offer them money in thanks.

True story.

1970 Cholon, Viet Nam
Cholon was the Chinese district/subdivion of Saigon. Restaurant with my Chinese lady.
Paid the bill and left my wallet in the booth. Didn't realize it until we got home and had to pay the taxi.
Assumption: Oh well, it's gone forever.

3 days later....count 'em - 3 days.

Restaurant owner tracked us down and came to our villa and returned the wallet intact...ID card, cash, ration card....everything.

My lady says, "Do not offer him a reward. It will insult him very much."

A heart-felt thanks and a bow to his honor made him very happy.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

Another true story:

1973, Tampa, Fl

11 young hippies in an apartment discussing honesty and dependability.

Dog comes in through the sliding glass door with a large test tube in his mouth. Test tube contained hash oil...a large quantity of it.

Well, we had to try it at least to verify that it was indeed hash oil by smearing a little on a joint and the taste test proved true.
:D:D

The dog was owned by one of the guys in the apartment above us so we figured the stuff belonged to them. We decide to return it to them.

Me and one of the guys took it upstairs, knocked on the door and asked, 'Did you guys lose something? Something in a glass container?"

The guy that answered the door was clueless but the guy back on the other side of the room says, "Yes....maybe."

I pulled out the test tube and asked, "Is this yours?"

Well, Ill be damned...the guy in the back ran across the room, snatched the tube out of my hand and said, "You better be glad you brought that back or I'd kick you ass."

That's when the fight started.

Unfortunately for him, the tube was "accidently" stepped on during the melee.
:D:D

My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

...what do you offer as a reward?

If they're returning it WITH the money intact, then that means they're an honest person who doesn't expect any reward for doing the right thing - they returned it just because they're honest, period. They might even be insulted if you offer them money in thanks.

I agree! The truly honest person returning a wallet or purse 'in tact' is looking only for a simple thank you.

Chuck

I agree! The truly honest person returning a wallet or purse 'in tact' is looking only for a simple thank you.

Yes, but it's also polite to offer a reward -- you never know who's on hard times. It's as easy as "I know you didn't do it for the reward, but can I pay for your next dinner/lunch/whatever" as you pull out an amount appropriate to the situation.

It leaves it to them to say no or yes without its sounding at all like they were expecting it.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Yes, but it's also polite to offer a reward -- you never know who's on hard times. It's as easy as "I know you didn't do it for the reward, but can I pay for your next dinner/lunch/whatever" as you pull out an amount appropriate to the situation.

It leaves it to them to say no or yes without its sounding at all like they were expecting it.

Wendy P.

You make a good point. It doesn't hurt to offer and leave it up to them.
Come to think of it, I know, my wife or I would make the offer.

Chuck

I had this happen in NYC. Dropped my wallet somewhere in Central Park. Thought it was long gone. A few days later I get a call from my grocery store that someone contacted them about a wallet they found. I had just started a job in NYC while living in NJ with family. I finished college in Cincinnati (lived across the river in KY), had a permanent DL from Georgia. This poor guy went on a wild goose chase of ID, bank cards (from banks in every place I lived) grocery store cards, etc. before the grocery store in NJ finally offered to look up my number and contact me.

I talked and we agreed to meet at a coffee shop. He was an old New Yorker born and raised and pushing 70 or so. He handed me my wallet with no money in it but all IDs intact. Then he gave me an envelope that he said contained all of the cash. I didn't open it in front of him. I offered to buy him lunch but he insisted on picking up the tab and we went our own ways.

I opened the envelope and he had changed my $50 or $60 cash into $2 bills and included a picture of himself that just had "Remember..." written on the back.

From that day on I've always kept one or two of the $2 bills in my wallet and have given them as a tip when I've received extraordinarily good service of some sort, or to a kid that I had reason to reward. I have the last $2 bill in my wallet now, 12 years later.
Killing threads since 2004.