kallend

robot vacuum cleaners

Got one it's the FRACKING BOMB!
Had it for two years, last year I rebuilt it...not hard to do. And now it's better than before.
I'm a single guy with two cats....i see no fuzz bunnies.
Life through good thoughts, good words, and good deeds is necessary to ensure happiness and to keep chaos at bay.

The only thing that falls from the sky is birdshit and fools!

Your Bathroom Monkey lasted 2 years? or your Woomba?

Mokey was eaten by the cats, them bitches be nuts!
The roomba is doing just fine! cats think it's just antother cat.
Life through good thoughts, good words, and good deeds is necessary to ensure happiness and to keep chaos at bay.

They work ok until they get clogged (hair gets wrapped around the wheels and parts) or stuck in a corner...battery lasted about a year and then it was not worth a crap.... IMHO, save your money for a decent vac.

Are you talking about the woomba or the roomba?

Yeah you do have to clean them about once per month. Nothing serious really. Just pull a few things out and clean off the fuzz and you should be good.

Now I have wood floors so that's probably why mine works so well. Not sure how well it would work on carpet.

They work ok until they get clogged (hair gets wrapped around the wheels and parts) or stuck in a corner...battery lasted about a year and then it was not worth a crap.... IMHO, save your money for a decent vac.

Are you talking about the woomba or the roomba?

I was wondering the same thing :| ...

Anyone had any experience with the Roomba, Neato, or similar?

3 dogs and 2 Roombas (pet model). The Roombas work great, you'll be surprised how much they actually pick up besides the pet hair. Expect to have to clean it after each use when you first get it as it will be full of stuff until it has cleaned the whole house several times. After awhile, if you run it every day, the dust bin won't be as full and there will be less hair/debris in it. I have almost all tile with a few throw rugs in the house and they do a decent job on the rugs although you may have to pick up a few hairs near the edges now and then that the roomba misses.

Expect to have to do a bit more than just empty the dust bin and clean the brushes off after about the first 2 months of steady use as you will probably get error code 2 even when the brushes are clean. This requires a phillips screw driver and basic mechanical skills to remove a handful of screws to get at the innards that house the gears that turn the brushes. It takes about 5 minutes to take apart and depending on how dirty your machine is, anywhere from 5 to 30 minutes cleaning off the gears, pulling dust bunnies and goop out of crevasses,etc. Re insert all the screws and it's good to go.

Also, don't even bother using the dust bin that comes attached to the Roomba out of the box. Just switch over to the high volume one that comes as an accessory in the box as it holds more and is easier to clean out.

Bottom line, it's a 95% solution that allows you to forego sweeping everyday but requires you stop and clean it, which takes less of your time than if you were to sweep yourself. You may still find a few dust bunnies or a small section that didn't get cleaned up once in awhile but for the most part its a good piece of kit IMO/experience.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

They work great on bare floors and low pile carpets of small apartments, or one floor of a house -- it's helpful to become familiar with the best way to operate it by keeping the floors uncluttered. You do have to spend a moment verifying the place is Roomba friendly (i.e. don't leave laptop charger cords lying across the middle of the room).

Expect to replace the $300 robot once every two years, with another $300 robot, they do wear out (!!!) -- If you don't like self servicing (beyond cleaning the rollers, etc), then ebay the worn out unit as ~$50-$100 of replacement parts for other Roomba owners who prefer to self-service their unit, but you do save enough time to make it worth your while, because you can do other cleaning duties (i.e. kitchen) while the Roomba vaccums, or you can start it right before you leave for work.

Helpful tip: Use the hose of your old fashioned vaccuum cleaner to clean the Roomba once every two months or so. It will keep its innards clean, especially if you don't like self-servicing a robot.

How does it handle adjacent rooms with a regular sized door in between? Will it find the door and do both room pretty much every time? Or do you have to set it up to do them separately?

It will roam into just about every place it can go as long as the battery has charge. They come with a "buoy" that allows you to create invisible barriers at doorways in the event you don't want it to go to another room or you want to cordon off an area from it. It roams around sweeping until it gets low on power and then it returns to its base to charge until its scheduled to clean again.
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

Do they have a kid version? Because right now, I have a bunch of drawing paper, covered with tape, which is also all over the carpet, banister, and princess tent. Will it choke on colored pencils? (I got rid of the crayons over a year ago). Also, will it pick up glitter from clothes and teen-pop-star branded makeup?
Trapped on the surface of a sphere. XKCD

Do they have a kid version? Because right now, I have a bunch of drawing paper, covered with tape, which is also all over the carpet, banister, and princess tent. Will it choke on colored pencils? (I got rid of the crayons over a year ago). Also, will it pick up glitter from clothes and teen-pop-star branded makeup?

Funny you should ask that. I just put the X-mas tree up and had a bunch of glitter and misc crap fall off the ornaments onto the floor. I tried sweeping it up myself and got some of it but not all of it. The Roomba the next day went ape shit where I hadn't gotten all of the glitter and picked it all up.

Its a semi smart machine, if it senses a heavy dirt spot it will concentrate on that spot; if it senses a step or a ledge, it will avoid rolling off of it. It will drive over almost anything, it has the ability to raise and lower itself to go from say a tile/wood floor to a throw rug that is taller in height. With that said, it drives over power cords and usually doesn't move them but some times they do get hung up on things. The dogs have chew toys and marrow bones,some of which are pretty big and you would think that the roomba couldn't roll over it but every once in awhile I'll hear the roomba call for help and there it will be high centered on a dog toy thats almost as tall as the roomba is.

It can trap itself in a bathroom or a room if it manages to get behind the door and close it as it bumps into the items in the environment slightly to sense objects around it and adjust it's trajectory. That is also a weird thing to get used to, it doesn't clean in a linear manner, it has this weird pattern that it follows for cleaning an area, which might explain why people sometimes find a dust bunny or two that it didn't get.

Overall, it's pretty good at just picking up dirt and debris and not sucking up other items on the floor that you wouldn't want it to pick up. I was highly skeptical before I bought the Roomba and read peoples reviews and issues with it but gave it a gamble and now I own two (I have a good deal of floor) and don't have any major heart aches with them so far. I know others may have a different experience or performance from their units but thats to be expected.
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING