shah269

Is the Era of the Motorcycle Over?

"HOLY SHIT HOLY SHIT HOLY SHIT....BRAINS....COMMMING OOOUUUUUUUTTTT OFFF MMMMMYYYY AASSSSS!"

Hey Shah,
Mad Max is a neat ride, but is older tech. Ever rode a 'Busa or a 1000 Gixxer? Now, they have warp drives. If you ever get accustomed to the acceleration? There's all sorts of wonderfully perverse performance mods readily available.

Wait a minute. What am I doing??? Shah has shown a propensity for spending too much money on questionable purchases. I might be planting the seeds for another large cash outlay he doesn't really need to make... I've got a better idea. Shah, I can't really suggest you keep pouring money into that GPZ. There's another way. I've ridden primarily big-bore sportbikes. When I was working through school, & poor. I worked a deal for a museum piece of a bike. It was a 20+yr old Honda K-bike. I thought I'd hate it. I ended up keeping her for five years. I rebuilt it a little at a time, & loved it. One of the great things about motorcycling is. You don't have to spend a lot to enjoy it (unlike certain other hobbies...). Nab an older, well-designed bike, & discover its gifts. Hell man, my bike is steamy fast & bullet proof. I think the blue book on it is only around $1500... Get a bike like that, & smile as you ride past the dealerships year after year.

agreed. i can't believe the power modern bikes have....unreal. what i like about the older VMax is that it is a squirrelly ride... like an old muscle car, big power, frame that can't handle it, crazy wobbles... keeps you thinking. :P

big power, frame that can't handle it, crazy wobbles...

Sounds... great? :S

to me it is. :) and to me that is what the article was about.... not being practical, but more about being on the bike, just to spite the imperfection. :)

"what i like about the older VMax is that it is a squirrelly ride... like an old muscle car, big power, frame that can't handle it, crazy wobbles... keeps you thinking."

Absolutely agree:P. In ways, modern bikes have gotten too good. They can turn laps w/surgical precision. W/frames engineered to only flex w/just the right balance between engine loading & cornering forces. I get warm N fuzzy thinking about things like Eddie Lawson scaring his mechanics senseless w/the amount of frame flex his KZ1000 was doing on Daytona's banking. Or, a little further back to the machines Barry Sheene & King Kenny had to wrestle to become world champions. Fighting the machine's imperfections was another skill set they had to have.

and the old ones corner like shit,, great for straight line drags in their day but not much else.
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

and the old ones corner like shit,, great for straight line drags in their day but not much else.

I don't know.... my 18 year old ZX11 is a virtual rocket ship (even by todays standards) and when push comes to shove, it corners well for a sled. Damn.... I'll talk to you later, I'm going for a ride...... see aviator...
Birdshit & Fools Productions

"Son, only two things fall from the sky."

with a few mods, it corners "ok." however, yes, i like to tell people it likes to go fast, real fast, and does not like to turn or stop. but i am from an era of stoplight to stoplight racing... for pinks and cash. :P

Nope I'm rebuilding the Z....I think!
I have the book and the tools and I'm going to take a look over her and see if it is just the petcock that if fucked up.
If that's it, I may rebuild her, if it's more.....and I have to buy new cars due to the abuse the previous owner did to her... [:/] i may let her go and pick up a nice older bike for about $3k.
I live in NJ and though I LOVE riding I can't see spending more that that on a bike. So who knows?
But I do have to say before I found skydiving....waking up on a Sunday morning before sunrise, grabbing a few bottle of water and aiming the front tire to the dying night and chasing the starts till mid day was nothing short of being reborn.

Life through good thoughts, good words, and good deeds is necessary to ensure happiness and to keep chaos at bay.

The only thing that falls from the sky is birdshit and fools!

TORQUE WRENCHES!!!!

That aluminum is soft like butter. Especially when you're angry because you don't have a third wrist to get a better grip on that bolt.

Forums are an amazing place for knowledge on specific models for restoration help and reference.
Enjoy your rebuild.

I'm jealous. I love building bikes. Hot rods too.
B|

TORQUE WRENCHES!!!!

That aluminum is soft like butter. Especially when you're angry because you don't have a third wrist to get a better grip on that bolt.

Forums are an amazing place for knowledge on specific models for restoration help and reference.
Enjoy your rebuild.

I'm jealous. I love building bikes. Hot rods too.
B|

LITTLE torque wrenches, the specs on alloy engines are not gorilla grip tight.
I dont see him rebuilding anything though, his online persona as least, would indicate a propentsity for instant gratification as oppsed to the time and trials, of rebuilding a bike.

BTW mine is kicking arseB| just need to sort out the carbies a little more. when throttling off it starves and nearly cuts out, which can be kind of annoying when slowing down for upcomming traffic:ph34r:
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

A few bits of plastic which are easy to find, a few stripped bolts which I can fix and a little engine work regarding a leaking oil seal.
She was and is a good bike. I just hope it's the petcock and not those fracking carbs!
Life through good thoughts, good words, and good deeds is necessary to ensure happiness and to keep chaos at bay.

Or nailing it to get out of their way!

Using the multi-tube mercury vacuum gauges?
I realize there are newer tools...but man that give a flash back to the old bikes. Maybe the mercury seeped in like they warned us!

I'll have to check your thread for updates!

B|

oh!

agreed. ;) throw the $$$$ at someone else to do the work. all of it. :S

For me it's nothing major. Just one cracked tail piece, one windshield and the rest are all engine stuff. So it will look no different before than it would after. Unless I stood around it naked and pointed at things while holding a screw driver in one hand a a can of beer in the other.

Loud pipes? Please! Super traps on an 87 700 VFR sounded as if a P-51 and a cake mixer had kids!
That thing sounded SEXY!

That she does :)If you want to work on her though you had better know one end of a spanner from the other.
Luckily it never breaks

If you want to work on her though you had better know one end of a spanner from the other.
Luckily it never breaks

gomoto? That's a new one for me. Never heard of it. Is it South African?
"For you see, an airplane is an airplane. A landing area is a landing area. But a dropzone... a dropzone is the people."

Nah. POS branded Chinese generic motorcycle.
They are imported pretty much out of a catalogue. Gomoto is simply a trading name. Means nothing. The next guy will bring in the same thing from the same Chinese manufacturer with a slightly different tank, indicators, wheels etc etc and will sell it as a Vuka or MotoMia.
Cheap, cheerful, disposable rubbish.....but better than walking.

Loud pipes? Please! Super traps on an 87 700 VFR sounded as if a P-51 and a cake mixer had kids!
That thing sounded SEXY!

That she does :)If you want to work on her though you had better know one end of a spanner from the other.
Luckily it never breaks

Very nice!
My old 87 was a perl white, great bike. Sold her to a collector and then bought the 96 GPZ.

Motorcycle sales continue to do well. Military members are riding a lot now as well.

Added a little coolness to the post.B|

First one is us at Arlington National Cemetary on Veterans Day. :(

#2 is my goofy ass sittin' on a 1949 FlatheadB|

#3 is... well... self explanatory.:D

Some people refrain from beating a dead horse. Personally, I find a myriad of entertainment value when beating it until it becomes a horse-smoothie.

If you're not shorter than 5'8", a bimbo and a size 0 then I doubt Shah thinks you're "pretty."

Then again, having known you on DZ.com for a long time now, I know that you are!:)

If she is kinky and wears leather I'll look past a few things ;)

That thing sounded SEXY!

I've yet to hear an import bike that didn't sound like a pissed off bumble bee.

Bob, I don't care how much my pipes piss people off, I want to be heard. If I'm heard, people will look harder. I don't rev my bike just to rev it. It drives me crazy when people do it just to do it. I use it as another tool... riding in groups, it's a good way to get someone's attention when they're jammin' out to their i-pod, or to let the car in front of you know to stop texting and drive because the light's changed to green.
Some people refrain from beating a dead horse. Personally, I find a myriad of entertainment value when beating it until it becomes a horse-smoothie.

I don't consider it revving. It's throttle and clutch control in the friction zone of the clutch. It's not intended to make noise.

But true, nonetheless. Always better to have a little friction.

I've yet to hear an import bike that didn't sound like a pissed off bumble bee.

then you need to get your ig'nrant arse within hearing shot of an Italian V Twin;)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?