shah269

Is the Era of the Motorcycle Over?

our racing team had a backup bike, a bone stock gpz 550 - it also doubled as our "get drunk and do something stupid vehicle" aka - "hold my beer, watch this"
it was not the fastest thing on the planet but that damn thing ran 12.2 seconds every run no matter the temp or humidity - we all broke our bikes from time to time and ended up on the backup bike - and we all trophied using it - it was like racing in slow motion... but it got the job done quite well.

carb problems are a poor excuse keeping you from riding, most carbs are quite simple (vacuum slide carbs are a pain) the manuals can be found for most online with pictures and complete instructions

go fix it man! FIX IT!! :)the gpz is a nice scooter, nothing flashy but solid and damn near bulletproof.

Roy

They say I suffer from insanity.... But I actually enjoy it.

"So that's why there are still KZ1000's in service with police departments all across the country?"

Meh... Cops drive Fords. What do they know. Those old KZ1000s are from a different era. Go to a drag strip. You'll still find Z1-based bikes tearing it up. That's not my point. Shah's bike is sitting in the garage due to poor engineering. His model bike is well-known to have that problem. Kawi sportbikes are what they are. Compared to other brands offerings, they come up short. It is what it is, Dave. My 900 Ninja used to run too hot, & foil plugs regularly. That was from when it was new. ZX-10s had a nasty habit of shattering their center stands in the middle of the winter. I've read of a few where the owners found them bashed up on their sides from that. Doug Chandler (?) got hurt after a foot peg broke while he was at speed on a track. It wasn't the first failure he'd experienced. He & Muzzy got into it big time after that one. He almost walked out on his contract about the equipment. The ZX-14 might have some steam when new. It's still too porky for me. I still wouldn't trust the parts. I also wouldn't trust that it would continue to run to spec after a few years. A Suzuki or a Yamaha will run circles around it in those categories. You are, of course, free to buy what you choose...

You sound like someone who had a Kawasaki sleep with his wife, in your bed, while you were gone. Then that mean old motorcycle drank your last beer and kicked your dog before leaving.

:D
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

I'm going to have to agree with PiLFy.
The Kows are ok but...well..they are a PITA to work on.
I'm sorry but my next bike will have to be a Honda.

Yeah you got me, Honda. I would love to find a 06-09 VFR pearl white. Before it became so fat and ugly and mated with a fracking slush box!

Or a nice light Daytona!

Though I have to say when it comes to a bike that "WORKS" you can't go wrong with Honda. Those guys just know how to make bikes that work!

Thus why Satan would rock a ZX-14.
Life through good thoughts, good words, and good deeds is necessary to ensure happiness and to keep chaos at bay.

The only thing that falls from the sky is birdshit and fools!

I'm going to have to agree with PiLFy.

Why be sorry? I spend a significant amount of time in the saddle of a 2010 ST1300. Already clicked over 10,000 miles on the odometer.

I can also tell you from personal experience that if you drop the clutch and wrap it open you'll stand that heavy-ass bike on end.:$

I'm a young'n and I just started riding!

Check out my beautiful (new to me) 2008 Harley Nightster!!
I love this thing! It has Samson pipes on it, which make it LOUD!! Nice to know that if people can't see me, they sure can hear me:)
I live in urban AZ, and so many young (and seasoned) people ride here because of the beautiful weather. The bf and I go riding as much as we can.

And for the record: the appropriate ranking of cool modes of transportation is jet pack, hover board, transporter, Batmobile, and THEN giant ant.
D.S. #8.8

Very nice bike.
Is that an engine our of a Buel?
God I loved those bikes.....stunning things Buel made.
Can still find them but I hear parts may be an issue
Life through good thoughts, good words, and good deeds is necessary to ensure happiness and to keep chaos at bay.

I love this thing! It has Samson pipes on it, which make it LOUD!! Nice to know that if people can't see me, they sure can hear me:)

You just stay in urban AZ. Whenever I hear a bike with LOUD pipes I want to swerve my car into them and shove them into the nearest tree, not that I would ever do that, but I'd sure like to.

p.s. I've been riding bikes for 40 years.
"For you see, an airplane is an airplane. A landing area is a landing area. But a dropzone... a dropzone is the people."

You just stay in urban AZ. Whenever I hear a bike with LOUD pipes I want to swerve my car into them and shove them into the nearest tree, not that I would ever do that, but I'd sure like to.

The ST1300 that I ride is one of the larger bikes on the road. Exceptionally noticeable, except that it is really quiet. Especially with me on it. Nearly every day I'm putting the ABS to the test.

The Vulcan 800 I ride is a small chopped up fun bike. It has straight pipes and is LOUD. I can count on one hand how many times someone has tried to turn in front of me or tried to change lanes into me since I put those pipes on my bike on ONE HAND.

I spend more time in the saddle of a motorcycle every single day and every day of the week then most people spend in a year of riding, loud pipes save lives.

Oh come on, other than that loud pipes bit, what do you really know of riding bikes???
:P:):D:D:D

Would love to hear the insane shit you see.
B|

Mostly crazy riding in traffic. The local Honda shop makes fun of us for burning through tires and brakes. The tires come in worn to the wire on the sides, all the way to the sidewall and nearly new in the middle.:D

I'm sorry you feel that way. The bike came that way, and I don't go out of my way to rev my engine more I have to, but I do like the fact that people can hear me...as in it makes me noticeable, as in less likely be invisible if they decide to change lanes on a whim.
And for the record: the appropriate ranking of cool modes of transportation is jet pack, hover board, transporter, Batmobile, and THEN giant ant.
D.S. #8.8

I'm sorry you feel that way. The bike came that way, and I don't go out of my way to rev my engine more I have to, but I do like the fact that people can hear me...as in it makes me noticeable, as in less likely be invisible if they decide to change lanes on a whim.

Sorry if I came off sounding like a prick. There's a busy road in my backyard and even if I was in a coma I'd know it was Saturday due to the loud bikes going by.

By the way, I love your profile picture.
"For you see, an airplane is an airplane. A landing area is a landing area. But a dropzone... a dropzone is the people."

I would love to find a 06-09 VFR pearl white

You really don't know anything about bikes, do you? There's nothing easy about spinning wrenched on a Honda V4. They're great bikes, and highly reliable, but easy to work they are not.

If you're not shorter than 5'8", a bimbo and a size 0 then I doubt Shah thinks you're "pretty."

Then again, having known you on DZ.com for a long time now, I know that you are!:)

If she is kinky and wears leather I'll look past a few things ;)

Loud pipes? Please! Super traps on an 87 700 VFR sounded as if a P-51 and a cake mixer had kids!
That thing sounded SEXY!

I have to say my mesh Joe Rocket pants have been perfect for hop and pops!

Been riding for 24 years... still have this one, and a XT 550 which is in pieces in the garage. I read the article and had to go for a ride on the VMax. Really rode hard and only average 20 mpg. :ph34r:. Carbs? yeah, it has four pain in the ass carbs... good thing I know the tuner people at Yamaha Motor corp.

My very first ride on a Vmax went like this,
Mr. Freak (no joke that is his name) "Shah this is a Vmax."
Shah "Ok."
Mr. Freak "you know how to ride one?"
Shah "I guess?"
Mr. Freak "ok this is what you do puts around a little get on a nice open road bump it up to top gear and open her up and hold on."
Shah "Hold on"
Mr. Freak "Yeah hold on. Don't dump my bike or I'll skull fuck you."
Shah "OK."

Shah gets on the bike...."Oh this isn't so bad...." Shah gets on the highway puts the Vmax in top and dumps the gasssssssss "HOLY SHIT HOLY SHIT HOLY SHIT....BRAINS....COMMMING OOOUUUUUUUTTTT OFFF MMMMMYYYY AASSSSS!"

Great freaking ride! Amazing!

"There's nothing easy about spinning wrenched on a Honda V4."

This is the reason I passed on buying an ST the last time. Well, that & I was too cheap to pay the price difference... Any decent power mods require splitting the cases on that engine. Other platforms are far easier to hop up. Oh, & yes, the pipes are really LOUD B|!!

"HOLY SHIT HOLY SHIT HOLY SHIT....BRAINS....COMMMING OOOUUUUUUUTTTT OFFF MMMMMYYYY AASSSSS!"

Hey Shah,
Mad Max is a neat ride, but is older tech. Ever rode a 'Busa or a 1000 Gixxer? Now, they have warp drives. If you ever get accustomed to the acceleration? There's all sorts of wonderfully perverse performance mods readily available.

Wait a minute. What am I doing??? Shah has shown a propensity for spending too much money on questionable purchases. I might be planting the seeds for another large cash outlay he doesn't really need to make... I've got a better idea. Shah, I can't really suggest you keep pouring money into that GPZ. There's another way. I've ridden primarily big-bore sportbikes. When I was working through school, & poor. I worked a deal for a museum piece of a bike. It was a 20+yr old Honda K-bike. I thought I'd hate it. I ended up keeping her for five years. I rebuilt it a little at a time, & loved it. One of the great things about motorcycling is. You don't have to spend a lot to enjoy it (unlike certain other hobbies...). Nab an older, well-designed bike, & discover its gifts. Hell man, my bike is steamy fast & bullet proof. I think the blue book on it is only around $1500... Get a bike like that, & smile as you ride past the dealerships year after year.