DoctorSig

What did you give up when babies came?

I'm finally back in the air from about a 3 year hiatus, and it seems that isn't the only change for the year -- Wifey has a little bundle of joy in the oven. Sooooo, it makes me wonder what I'll things I'm likely to give up due to the new responsibilities.

What did you give up with the arrival of the first child?

P.S. Im sticking with skydiving, I probably won't be jumping nearly as much as I had anticipated but it's ok if can make it out a couple of times per month

Hi Sig,

I did not 'give up' anything. I gained an entire new life.

And has it ever been great.

JerryBaumchen

Same here! Although I didn't get to jump as much this year. That is more due to my local DZ having closed in November of 2010 and everything else being 2-hours away.

I gained a "swagger-wagon" which is a really cool Jetta Sportwagen. I gained a great toddler (now) and two weeks ago we added a little sister. With out kids we'd have more money, but whats the point with no one to spend it on?:)
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Sex. Those little relationship killers make it less frequent and more likely to be interrupted. On top of that, sex becomes more difficult if you are deprived of:

Sleep. I think that Michael Jackson may have been on to something with the desire for propofol. A few weeks under that stuff and I may awaken feeling better, more rested. But that isn’t an option, because it would also cost me more:

Money. Kids ain’t cheap. Like Dave Chappelle, my kids demanded the highest quality breast milk. That’s the cheap way to go. But when you add clothes, health care, toys, diapering, etc., the costs add up. It’s further an issue because time is money and money is:

Time. Think you’ve got time to sit back and relax? You’ll find yourself appreciating dull and not getting elbow deep into activities because you’ll be interrupted.

Still, they are wonderful things that are so worth it.

My wife is hotter than your wife.

Time. Any spare time you have now, doesn't exist.
My heart. Having kids is like living with your heart outside your body.
Low pulling. Moved my opening altitude up, when some one told me my son pointed at me in freefall and said "daddy".
You should ask what you gain. That list will be huge.
U only make 2 jumps: the first one for some weird reason and the last one that you lived through. The rest are just filler.
scr 316

Sex. Those little relationship killers make it less frequent and more likely to be interrupted. On top of that, sex becomes more difficult if you are deprived of

BAH! If anything date nights become more cherished and sex has been better/more frequent. Having to conform to a "nap time" type schedule has really helped things along.;)
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Once you make that connection with your little bundle of joy, you won't think of it as missing out on anything. You'll want to be part of his or her life, you'll want to witness the milestones (everything from losing the first tooth to sending your kid off to college) and you won't care so much about all of the other things because the unconditional love you'll have for your child is better than anything else. Trust me. :)

She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

I have two beautiful children and a beautiful wife..I haven't given up anything....the money doesnt go as far as it once did...diapers are damn expensive....while I feel it is super important to spend as much time as possible with them....I do feel as though you HAVE have some quality ME time....the ride up to altitude is such a great way to reflect on the things you have.....I would ratherv my kids no I went out living life to the fullest...

Once you make that connection with your little bundle of joy, you won't think of it as missing out on anything. You'll want to be part of his or her life, you'll want to witness the milestones (everything from losing the first tooth to sending your kid off to college) and you won't care so much about all of the other things because the unconditional love you'll have for your child is better than anything else. Trust me. :)

And there we have it.

I couldn't agree with Andrea more.

Things that used to be important (or seem so important) just....well....aren't.

:)
Blues,
Ian
Performance Designs Factory Team

i gave up having that nagging sense that "something was missing"...
The arrival of one child and then a couple of years later, ANOTHER....brought Joy, happiness, AND a sense of accomplishment and maturity:oB|...
Parenthood will DO that to you...;) so i guess i gave up some of the freedom of youth, and the ability to absolutely "come and go as i pleased"..... but That was OK..... i was happy to do it..

The payback has far Out weighed the sacrifices and being able to see Two Grown-Ups.. today, who are STILL "My Little Ones".. as they blossom into productive and happy people has been a continuing JOY to Nancy & to me..

( shah Baby,,,, ya' don't Know WHAT you're missing.....)

signed,
The Pater Familius

Time and money. But what I got is so much more. Kids definitely change your life - they make it better.

I gave up skydiving- more about the risk than the money. I know lots of parents still skydive, but as a single parent, I'm all my daughter has. They sky will still be there once she's older. I've replaced it with skiing and that's something we do together. My fun time of year has shifted to winter.

Kids are expensive, competitive gymnastics is sucking up a lot of my money now. Of course, that's a choice that I make to let her do it.

Time is probably the biggest thing for me. Balancing my time between research/teaching/writing dissertation and being mommy is my biggest challenge.

I absolutely love being a parent. I may have given up some things, but they don't seem important. What I have now is just so much better.

I agree with pretty much everything there. The one thing I'd say is that you also give up sometimes the time needed to nurture your relationship with your spouse, because the child is now the chief focus and time-taker.

Once the child gets a little older, you then wake up and realize you don't have that much in common with your spouse any more.

Don't do that. Just as you can love more than one child, you can nurture more than one relationship. And it'll be a great example for your kids.

Oh -- and when they're babies, you give up on any semblance of judgment on what's appropriate party and dinner table conversation :ph34r:

Wendy P.

There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Nothing remained the same & everything was altered...wish I had those days back.

There is something to be said about grandparenting, that unfortunately I wish I had going on with my sons as they grew up.

Every mistake I made as a parent, I've hoped to have rectified as a grandparent...
not the "I can spoil them rotten & then send back home to their parents"...
more like penance & apologies to my sons.

Keep in mind the song: " Cats in The Cradle " while raising yours....it strikes home to most parents, I'm sure.

So make sure you cherish every moment...even the hair pulling, I can't wait til they grow up times !

When they do, you'll wish you never had those thoughts !

Keep in mind what their futures hold given the daze around us...
you will be their only consistent security :)

Now that the grandkids are growing up & more independent, I'm finding myself going through the empty nest syndrome I had when my son's became independent.

Even though they are 200 miles away & I only see them 1x/ month...
my 2-3x/week phone calls to them are getting shorter :(

Every mistake I made as a parent, I've hoped to have rectified as a grandparent...
not the "I can spoil them rotten & then send back home to their parents"...

I dunno...I call it the revenge factor. :):D

I love having the grand-kids to play with for a bit then sending them home with a big bag of sugar filled candy...and a drum set! >:(

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~