wmw999

DZ.COM: all-purpose technical resource (cell phone)

I'm going out of the country, and have read that getting a sim card at the airport is hte best way to get service in my destination country. I have my former ATT cell phone (got a new one when I thought it was lost); can I use that one with a sim card, or what exactly do I do? Or do I need to use a phone with current service (also ATT)?

I'm heading to Brazil, if it makes a difference. Planning on seeing old school friends, ergo the desire for a phone. Last time I did something like this, we just rented a phone at hte airport, but I don't want to count on that being universal.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Call AT&T customer service/tech support, tell them you have an old AT&T phone that you need to carrier unlock so you can use other SIM cards, and they should help you out.

Now, if the phone will work there or not, I don't know, there are a couple different frequency bands out there and not all phones can use them (this is where having a "quad-band" phone pays off), so good luck!
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

I'm going out of the country, and have read that getting a sim card at the airport is hte best way to get service in my destination country. I have my former ATT cell phone (got a new one when I thought it was lost); can I use that one with a sim card, or what exactly do I do? Or do I need to use a phone with current service (also ATT)?

I'm heading to Brazil, if it makes a difference. Planning on seeing old school friends, ergo the desire for a phone. Last time I did something like this, we just rented a phone at hte airport, but I don't want to count on that being universal.

Wendy P.

depends on what BAND your phone works on Wendy,. If it's TRI Band then there's no probs.
I only ever buy a SIM card for my phone when traveling now.
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Call AT&T customer service/tech support, tell them you have an old AT&T phone that you need to carrier unlock so you can use other SIM cards, and they should help you out.

Now, if the phone will work there or not, I don't know, there are a couple different frequency bands out there and not all phones can use them (this is where having a "quad-band" phone pays off), so good luck!

What Ski said, what is the brand/model of the phone you're thinking of using?
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

I went by the ATT store; they said "we can't unlock it so that you can use it with some other company.":S. It's not like I'm using it with them!

It's a Nokia 6085 (I think), or else something like htat. Basic. So I took it to a guy at an independent cell phone store and he said he could unlock it.

I'm really just hoping for the cheapest way to get basic phone service -- talk, messages, text, for a month, in Brazilian urban areas. Nothing really difficult, frankly. I'm assuming I cna buy a sim card at the airport; I probably can just rent a phone, too if this doesn't work.

Wendy

There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

I went by the ATT store; they said "we can't unlock it so that you can use it with some other company.":S. It's not like I'm using it with them!

It's a Nokia 6085 (I think), or else something like htat. Basic. So I took it to a guy at an independent cell phone store and he said he could unlock it.

I'm really just hoping for the cheapest way to get basic phone service -- talk, messages, text, for a month, in Brazilian urban areas. Nothing really difficult, frankly. I'm assuming I cna buy a sim card at the airport; I probably can just rent a phone, too if this doesn't work.

Wendy

Does it look like what I've attached? If so, it should work in some markets overseas, but not guaranteed. There were two versions of this built, supporting different frequency bands (850/1800/1900 and 900/1800/1900). Once you have a local SIM it won't be an issue. There are cheap rentals or purchase handsets, etc. ;)
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

CALL customer service. The guys at the store aren't going to know how to unlock phones 90% of the time.

It's YOUR phone, you're going to an overseas market, you're allowed to use it however you want.

If that fails, I'll get some info from you about the phone and I'll call them myself.
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message