The_Don

Mythbusters. OOOPS!!

I wonder what the technical reason is for the round to go 'out of bounds'. I can't recall quite what was said on video, but I thought the round went through a wall on the property and then deflected off a berm that I guess was the safety backstop.

I don't know much about ballistics, but I wonder if they got fooled because of the type of round. A more pointed high velocity modern round might have sunk itself into the berm without deflection. Or if they were doing demolitions, chunks of stuff flying out wouldn't have the energy or low drag to end up off property. Those could be is the normal circumstance the site owners planned for.

Perhaps the Mythbusters projectile, being a spherical cannonball at a lesser, subsonic speed ended up deflecting off the berm.... giving it the range to end up in the neighbourhood.

Somebody on this site must know about shootin' stuff up and have more informed opinions...

I'm reminded of classic photos from the Crimean war of cannon balls lying around on the ground after a battle. (Although there is controversy over particular photos whether balls were moved around before photos were taken.)

I don't think, it's just Mythbusters here. What about the Sheriff's Dept. being the owners of the sight where this started from? They had 'people' there at the time and supervised the expiriment. Seems to me, folks can't put this all on the Mythbuster folks, alone. Just a thought.

Chuck

Oh yeah...... There will be a wide loop thrown to include all depths of pockets. Make no mistake about that.

Let's see... the foundry that forged the cannonball, the steel mill where the steel for the cannonball came from. the manufacturer of the cannon, the gunpowder plant, the automobile manufacturers who made the vehicles to get them to the bomb range and... Yup! Gotchya'. >:(

Chuck

"I want to make sure>:( this doesn't happen again. And, of course, they need to pay for this. Not just the physical damage, but everything else."

nuff said... someone is looking for a pay off [/mad]

The odds of this happening again are astronomical, to say the least. :D You're right on point, I believe. ;)

to sum up... the ball took a bad hop! :D

Chuck

I think we all would love to see the look on the Myth Busters guys faces when the realization came to them. Their rectal sphincters probably slammed shut, audibly.:D:D

Couldn't drive a straight-pin up em' with a sledge hammer!

I did think it was cool of Jeremy and Adam to go the peoples houses and apologise!

Chuck

Chuck

I think we all would love to see the look on the Myth Busters guys faces when the realization came to them. Their rectal sphincters probably slammed shut, audibly.:D:D

I did think it was cool of Jeremy and Adam to go the peoples houses and apologise!

Chuck

A Golden Straight pin......!!!:D:D:D

Chuck

Chuck

A Golden Straight pin......!!!:D:D:D

That's right! :D

Chuck