kasch

nook v kindle

you know what. the batteries have never run out on any book i have ever bought.

i have never broken a book. ever. i can even read a book in the BATH! imagine that!

anyone who buys one of these old retro 'book readers' when new books come out all the time is an idiot.

Ya know, its FAR easier to use one of those books and load all of the manuals you need on it, than it is to try to organize an entire library of container, reserve and aad manuals, SB's and addendums.

Just sayin....

(Don't forget to put a dummy flag on it so you don't pack it into a reserve :D:D)
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

Just bought my wife a NOOK color for Christmas. This thing is awesome!! I am using it to post this!!

We looked at both very hard and decided the nook was a better option for us. If you are only looking for an e reader then the kindle is probably better but the nook is an e reader and a lot more. Most reviews compare it to the ipad.

Hope this helps

Blue Skies,
Jason

Google Books not compatible with Kindle. I have had old Sony Reader, Kindle2, and iPad. iPad is the winner because it does so much AND is a reader. Plus I love that with google books I can buy books from independents, barnes and noble, google direct, free books from the library, etc. Once you go Kindle you are forced to buy all your books from one place: Amazon. Just my 2 cents. I still like real books at least half the time - they are like old friends throughout my bookshelves in my home.

Google Books not compatible with Kindle. I have had old Sony Reader, Kindle2, and iPad. iPad is the winner because it does so much AND is a reader. Plus I love that with google books I can buy books from independents, barnes and noble, google direct, free books from the library, etc. Once you go Kindle you are forced to buy all your books from one place: Amazon. Just my 2 cents. I still like real books at least half the time - they are like old friends throughout my bookshelves in my home.

Incorrect. Kindle can access more than just Amazon books. That said, Amazon books *are* proprietary to the Kindle and the associated reader software, just as B&N "Nookbooks" are only compatible with the Nook and their reader software.
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

http://mo.statesman.com/business/technology/google-opens-ebookstore-to-challenge-kindle-1103630.html

Google public domain books have always worked on kindle but the new Google bookstore that works across all the other devices and can be bought from multiple vendors is not compatible with Kindle. Sorry I should have been clearer, but supporting independents is important and with Kindle that is not possible.

http://mo.statesman.com/business/technology/google-opens-ebookstore-to-challenge-kindle-1103630.html

Google public domain books have always worked on kindle but the new Google bookstore that works across all the other devices and can be bought from multiple vendors is not compatible with Kindle. Sorry I should have been clearer, but supporting independents is important and with Kindle that is not possible.

I was unaware of the change regarding G-books - thanks.

However, I'm unaware of how the Kindle's incompatability with Google's DRM system becomes non-support of independents - can you explain that for me?

Amazon has it's own DRM system, but that doesn't mean that Kindle can only access kindle-specific content from Amazon. Other formats, such as Mobipocket, Topaz, PDF and plain text *are* supported. You can also send HTML or DOC files (and, I believe, EPUB now) through email to be converted to a Kindle-compatible format.

My largest problem with online bookshelves like the new Google shop and Amazon is the fact that THEY control the content - remember the howls when Amazon deleted purchased copies of "Animal Farm" and "1984" from people's Kindles? That is why I purchase DRM-free ebooks (usually from Baen). I don't have to worry about a change in encryption type or the whim of a publisher deleting books that I have paid for.
Mike
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

Bump

I ordered a base model $139 Kindle yesterday, paid for the overnight shipping and received it a couple of hours ago. I think it is going to be one of the best tech purchases I've made in a long time.

1 - The packaging is all recyclable and minimal
2 - It comes knowing it "belongs" to you and all you have to do is connect to wi-fi and you can begin downloading books previously purchased or new books. (I had several books I had bought to read on my iPad using the Kindle reader) If you buy the 3G version you don't even have to do that, it will just connect with a cellular carrier.
3 - Very light. REALLY light.
4 - The screen is easy on the eyes and type is very sharp and crisp. I was a bit concerned that it would be too low contrast but I really like it.
5 - Navigation, etc is easy enough to do. I started touching the screen..showing my iPad conditioning but there is no problem figuring out how to do everything.
6 - The Whispersync technology works great! Last night I bought a Kindle book on my iPad. I downloaded it onto the Kindle right after receiving it and when I opened the book it went right to where I quit reading the book on the iPad.

I'm very pleased with this purchase. It is going to be great to have hundreds of books available for my kids, me, my wife while traveling or at our cabin.
--
Murray

"No tyranny is so irksome as petty tyranny: the officious demands of policemen, government clerks, and electromechanical gadgets." - Edward Abbey

AUDIOBOOKS also available at Amazon.com

You put them on your iPod and listen while you are commuting or doing ANYTHING where you can multitask while listening to a good book.

+1000

I LOVE audiobooks. You can also download them from iTunes to your iPhone. I plug a cord from my phone to my car stereo and play them. SO good!

B|B|B|

Having said that, I was on the verge of purchasing a Nook Color before I got my iPhone 4 and decided the latter worked well-enough for e-reading. I do not purchase anything without extensive prior research, and while I loved the largest Kindle, the Nook Color had more--for me--to offer. Color is cool. B| And the Nook Color is Pandora internet-radio capable which is something I prefer to iPods and downloaded iTunes and CDs.
"Nature is cruel, but we don't have to be." ~ Temple Grandin

The new one seems much better - it looks like you can actually hold it without hitting the page buttons now.

Still don't care for the DRM and the fact that they can delete books off it if they want.
Mike
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

The new one seems much better - it looks like you can actually hold it without hitting the page buttons now.

Still don't care for the DRM and the fact that they can delete books off it if they want.

+1 - THE KINDLE IS A SWINDLE. DRM dupes, ye suckers!
"The mouse does not know life until it is in the mouth of the cat."

Take off your aluminum foil hat for a moment, you can loan books to others with Kindle now. If it's a book that is that important to you, a hard copy is always going to be the better option. If all the books on my kindle disappeared I could reload them from my computer. As it is, I am saved from throwing away or physically storing the plethora of books that I read. And the world is supposed to end in 2012 anyways so DRM is a moot point.:)
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

Take off your aluminum foil hat for a moment, you can loan books to others with Kindle now. If it's a book that is that important to you, a hard copy is always going to be the better option. If all the books on my kindle disappeared I could reload them from my computer. As it is, I am saved from throwing away or physically storing the plethora of books that I read. And the world is supposed to end in 2012 anyways so DRM is a moot point.:)

+10
--
Murray

"No tyranny is so irksome as petty tyranny: the officious demands of policemen, government clerks, and electromechanical gadgets." - Edward Abbey

Take off your aluminum foil hat for a moment, you can loan books to others with Kindle now.

As long as you go through all the hoops with Amazon, yes. Can't *give* it away like you can with other formats, though.

If all the books on my kindle disappeared I could reload them from my computer.

Provided they don't pull it off your account, like what happened a year or two ago.
Mike
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

Take off your aluminum foil hat for a moment, you can loan books to others with Kindle now.

As long as you go through all the hoops with Amazon, yes. Can't *give* it away like you can with other formats, though.

If all the books on my kindle disappeared I could reload them from my computer.

Provided they don't pull it off your account, like what happened a year or two ago.

Hoops? I press a button and it's loaned out. It's not that big of a deal. I'm not really interested in giving or receiving anything permanently. I read it and then I move on. Like I said earlier, if it's something I really want, I get a hard copy.

You site something that happened and was later rescinded after people complained. To date, it hasn't happened again. Again, if the book is THAT important to me, I'll get a hard copy. If they pulled all the books on my account off today, it really would be no skin off of my nose as had it been a hard paper copy I'd have probably thrown it out after reading it anyways. I don't find either of your points to be really valid CONS/negatives against the Kindle and reason to choose another reader. With that said, who is to say any of the other reader manufacturers out there couldn't one day decide to remove or delete books off of users systems or block them from being uploaded again?
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

If you're that bothered about Amazon deleting your books, turn off the WiFi and download your books from somewhere else in .mobi format. You can use something like Calibre to reformat and organise your backups if you need to. It's not exactly difficult.

With that said, who is to say any of the other reader manufacturers out there couldn't one day decide to remove or delete books off of users systems or block them from being uploaded again?

Well, the others don't check back in with "ebook central" to see if it's ok to put your property on the device, which was the point of the DRM discussion.
Mike
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

TIS THE SEASON... to bump threads about popular Christmas gifts!

So, anyone with some new input in the great Nook vs. Kindle vs. any other e-reader they want to throw down?

NOTE: NOT interested in iPad, android analogues, netbooks, or other goo.

Elvisio "no more a thread killer, now a thread raiser: it's alive... it's ALIVE... IT'S ALIVE!" Rodriguez