kasch

nook v kindle

any opinions? i've been reading up on both a lot and i just can't decide.

also it seems that 1/3 of the books i want are for kindle the other 1/3 are for nook and 1/3 aren't even in ditigal format yet.

and has anyone come across problem with book series where some of a series is ditigal but the rest isn't? or the rest of a series you start was for the other brand?
Sex with sith is like sex with a stripper. A lot of flashing lights and waving of glowing sabers, but in the end you end up with something dark and wrinkely.

DPH# "-13"
TSK# "-13"

any opinions? i've been reading up on both a lot and i just can't decide.

also it seems that 1/3 of the books i want are for kindle the other 1/3 are for nook and 1/3 aren't even in ditigal format yet.

and has anyone come across problem with book series where some of a series is ditigal but the rest isn't? or the rest of a series you start was for the other brand?

AUDIOBOOKS also available at Amazon.com

You put them on your iPod and listen while you are commuting or doing ANYTHING where you can multitask while listening to a good book.

oh screw that i dont pay for audio books....err i mean. i have some audio books in my ipod i listen to while commuting.

but i still like to actually read...lunch breaks, before bed, that sort of thing.
Sex with sith is like sex with a stripper. A lot of flashing lights and waving of glowing sabers, but in the end you end up with something dark and wrinkely.

DPH# "-13"
TSK# "-13"

oh screw that i dont pay for audio books....err i mean. i have some audio books in my ipod i listen to while commuting.

but i still like to actually read...lunch breaks, before bed, that sort of thing.

Plenty of torrents to get about anything you want....:)

<3 torrents

still need to pick an e-reader though to lighten up my backpack

DPH# "-13"
TSK# "-13"

you know what. the batteries have never run out on any book i have ever bought.

i have never broken a book. ever. i can even read a book in the BATH! imagine that!

anyone who buys one of these old retro 'book readers' when new books come out all the time is an idiot.
Dude #320
"Superstitious" is just a polite way of saying "incredibly fucking stupid".
DONK!

you know what. the batteries have never run out on any book i have ever bought.

i have never broken a book. ever. i can even read a book in the BATH! imagine that!

anyone who buys one of these old retro 'book readers' when new books come out all the time is an idiot.

Just because you cant afford one you dont have to call others idiots. You know those you use little words like idiots all the time are only reflecting their inability to use bigger more meaningful words.

Like me for instance. I never use dumbass phrases, profanity, nor do I make fun of others...:P
TPM Sister#130ONTIG#1
I love vodka.I love vodka cause it rhymes with Tuaca~LisaH
You having a clean thought is like billyvance having a clean post.iluvtofly

apparently the batteries last for weeks. and theres always some hostel or inn you can recharge at while traveling. so even if im a few days or a week out camping, it'll last.

i love books though, i like dog earring the pages and flipping the pages. but the newer e-readers don't look so bad. you can mark quotations you want to save, have hundreds of books, blah blah.

only downside about backpacking with books is their weight. i hate finishing a book a couple days into a trip and having to carry it around along with any other books i brought. it would shave a couple pounds just having an e-reader. ultralight backpacking ftw!

DPH# "-13"
TSK# "-13"

i get testy enough listening to people always chiming in with 'iphone' when the 'i' is completely superfluous when it's just a fecking phone, wear it round your bloody neck or staple it to your forehead if it's such an awesome fashion accessory that you need to tell everyone about it.

i fear the same thing will happen with these poxy readers, you won't be simply reading a book anymore you'll be reading, no doubt a suitably pretentious title on your feckin' new life companion, the ikindle. you bastards. i hate you all.
Dude #320
"Superstitious" is just a polite way of saying "incredibly fucking stupid".
DONK!

meh ill probably just stick to killing trees. paperbacks are cheaper than e-books by $2 and i can't even use my member discount from B&N on ditigal goods anyway.

ill just deal with the extra weight *grumbles* maybe ill leave my pants at home to compensate, don't really need pants

DPH# "-13"
TSK# "-13"

I finally bought a Kindle about two months ago. I completely love it. The one thing that I have noticed is you can quickly go overboard with the purchases.

Cindy Lou Who has a Nook that she just bought so I will run down the major differences for you in a non techy way.

Battery life is about the same on both. They last FOREVER! I was pushing to finish a book for school spending a few hours a day reading. I didn't charge it for a week and a half and I was still about 50% left on the charge.

Print is amazing. I believe they both use the same "ink" now. It looks like a real book sheet.

Nook has a color touch screen which you order and navigate from. It also have a Sudoku game you can order.

Kindle has some games mainly Scrabble types, no Sudoku that I've found yet.

Nook allows you to "share" a book once for a time limit of a week I believe.

Cold weather seems to make the Kindle sluggish. The cabin in Montana doesn't make it happy. The print is awesome in the sunlight. No issues what so ever.....but it is harder to read in low light....I'm ordering the book light next week.

I've been super happy with my Kindle. I think it totally rocks!

Oh....if you go places where you don't readily have Wifi spend the extra $50.00 to get the 3G one.

i guess ill either way for more stuff to be released in digital or of kindle goes on sale for the holidays ill snag one.

guess i can always get a paperback for when im home if its not available in digital yet.

thanks for the input!

DPH# "-13"
TSK# "-13"

I have a Kindle that I won as a door prize. Before winning it, I had actually decided that I was going to buy a Nook and probably still would. The Kindle has features I like and the Nook has features that I like. The Kindle seems to be the favorite currently in online reviews, but I don't know that Amazon will hold on to that lead.
I have purchased a Nook as a gift for my son and hopefully, he'll let me borrow it some to do a real comparison.

From what I know so far, the Kindle has much better battery life. The Nook has more storage and the color touch screen for navigating the device and purchasing, etc. The Nook also allows lending books to other Nook users for a week or two. The Nook currently has a significanly slower page turn rate than the Kindle, but I understand that a new software release was supposed to have corrected that.

I like being able to carry multiple books with me without having to lug all the weight and volume that traditional books would consume in my luggage or backpack. Of course I still have a stack of traditional print books about 2 foot tall that I have purchased and not read. Guess I'll have to lay the Kindle down for a while and go back to the old fashioned method of book reading.

Oh and I actually think that I'm going to buy an iPad in the near future. It has apps for all the major ebook vendors, so that you don't have to choose and I'm already sitting in front of a computer screen 8-10 hours aday so what's a few more hours reading. TJMaxx has them starting at $399 now, so I guess the price is about to drop everywhere on them.

you can read amazon and B&N e-books on an ipad?

thanks for that review btw

DPH# "-13"
TSK# "-13"

The iPad is an LCD screen though, so even though you can read your kindle or nook books on it you'll get eyestrain pretty quickly.

I have a Kindle, and love it. I find it very easy to put books both purchased and downloaded on it, and like others have said the battery lasts forever.

I've only played with the Nook a bit, but I found the touch screen part to be awkward and hard to navigate with.

you can read amazon and B&N e-books on an ipad?

thanks for that review btw

Don't know about B&N but all you have to do is download the Kindle app for the iPad and you're set. Works very well. I have bought a couple of books for it but still prefer paper.
--
Murray

"No tyranny is so irksome as petty tyranny: the officious demands of policemen, government clerks, and electromechanical gadgets." - Edward Abbey