ernokaikkonen

Velcro damage on reserve risers

A rig(a Javelin NJ made in Jan/2001) was brought to me the reserve of which I was supposed to repack. The owner had disassembled the rig himself so he could wash it. He had taken the rig to a dry cleaners', as recommended by the manufacturer.

Unfortunately the owner didn't think to cover the exposed hook velcro on the toggles, and he also left some of the hook velcro on the toggle covers exposed. The result: lots of velcro damage on the reserve risers.

Photos can be found here:
http://www.geocities.com/ernokaikkonen/velcro_damage/
The damage may not be severe enough to warrant replacement of the risers, but I'm not going to re-certify the rig until I know for sure.

I've sent email to Sun Path asking for their opinion. What do the riggers out there think?

Edited by slotperfect to make the link clicky

The owner had disassembled the rig himself so he could wash it. He had taken the rig to a dry cleaners', as recommended by the manufacturer.

Unfortunately the owner didn't think to cover the exposed hook velcro on the toggles, and he also left some of the hook velcro on the toggle covers exposed. The result: lots of velcro damage on the reserve risers.

*bolded by me*

I don't get it. He left the toggles on after disassembling the rig?

I get a Mike hug! I get a Mike hug!

Your clicky went to:

Sorry, this site is temporarily unavailable!
The web site you are trying to access has exceeded its allocated data transfer. Visit our help area for more information.
Access to this site will be restored within an hour. Please try again later.
http://www.geocities.com/ernokaikkonen/velcro_damage/

Perhaps you could attach the photo to a post in the forum???

SEEING the difference between cosmetic damage and structural damage to webbing is difficult.
You can only FEEL the difference by sliding your thumbnail down the webbing. Cosmetic damage will feel smooth - the same thickness all the way down - while structural damage will feel like pot holes, or holes in the webbing. Nicks in the selvage edge are the most dangerous, grounds for grounding the harness.

When trying to decide whether webbing damage is Grade 2 or Grade 3, consult photos of Sun Path's latest Service Bulletin:

http://www.sunpath.com/downloads/bulletins/sp03.pdf

Actually the website pictures are up now, and they are very good. Not a pretty GUI interface to look at them is all.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)