JerseyShawn

Do I have to buy her jewelery? (Ladies)

So I made a jewelery box for my girlfriend. All the guys at work say I have to buy her jewelery for it now>:(. I was thinking about getting her a nice pair of earrings.

On the other hand, she really needs a computer (laptop) for work, and she can use it at home. Hers is outdated and runs super slow. I had planned on buying her a new one before I made her the jewelery box.

Which present would be better? Earrings or a computer? Im undecided.

Thanks.

That is a beautiful box!!!

If you haven't given her the jewelry box yet, send it to me and give her the computer. ;)

Seriously, you must have an idea which she would prefer at this point. If you don't, there is nothing wrong with asking her or at least subtly bringing up the subject and seeing which way she lights up.

But at this point, I take no blame if she gushes over both options :P

lisa
WSCR 594
FB 1023
CBDB 9

OK...so, you have to ask yourself a question...
Which one is going to set me back the fewest jump tickets.

Option 2
Give her the box, buy yourself that Pilot 210.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

Get her a nice pair of earrings (pay attention to the style that she wears!), but don't go overboard on them. There are a ton of sales right now, you could easily get a pair for $25 that look impressive. After she sees those, add something like, "I was going to get you diamonds, but I thought you needed this more", and pull out the box with the computer.

The box is lovely, I'm impressed! :)

She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

Between John (whose answer would work for me, and I'm a woman), and Andrea (whose answer would also work, although I would probably not even spend that much on the earrings...) you've got some great answers. With popsjumper, you have the financial guidelines set, so tell us how it came out

And yes, you do great work!

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

First: that is a seriously beautiful piece of work; my compliments.

On to brass tacks: I've been a boyfriend, and then a husband, for an awfully long time. Trust me: you don't want to give her that and not something to put into it. You won't live it down. I mean ever.

Re: what/how to do, see guidelines, in the posts above.

Gorgeous box ... I would certainly be one to appreciate such a thoughtful gift by itself, but if you feel inclined to be even more generous, I'd go for the computer. I am a "girly girl" and love jewlery, but I'm also practical ... she'll get much more use out of her computer.

You know her best ... would she appreciate a romantic gift more (earings) or a practical gift (computer)?

That is a beautiful box!!!

And that there just made my day!
OH YEAH!

But really bro that is really nice work!
Get her the laptop and a little ipod for the box :-)
Life through good thoughts, good words, and good deeds is necessary to ensure happiness and to keep chaos at bay.

The only thing that falls from the sky is birdshit and fools!

Quick someone google "Dick In A Box" from Youtube!

OK hear me out!
It would be a great way to give her the box and the lap top!
You can dall it...Dell and a Box! :)

Life through good thoughts, good words, and good deeds is necessary to ensure happiness and to keep chaos at bay.

The only thing that falls from the sky is birdshit and fools!

Damn, that box is a work of art! Much better than the one I made in wood shop in college for my mom (she still has it 24 years later).

Skymama's got a point. Don't bust your budget, plenty of deals out there. Ear rings don't need to be pricey to look good. Also, I would not be surprised if computer/laptop deals pop up after Christmas.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

So I made a jewelery box for my girlfriend. All the guys at work say I have to buy her jewelery for it now>:(.

Contrary to common belief, not all women need, want, have to have jewelry. I would guess you know your girlfriend better than your co-workers do, stick to your own instinct. Crafting something by hand to me sounds like a gift with a lot of love behind it.

On the other hand, she really needs a computer (laptop) for work, and she can use it at home. Hers is outdated and runs super slow. I had planned on buying her a new one before I made her the jewelery box.

A computer seems like a gift that would have more practical, less emotional/personalized intent behind it, when given as a gift. Whereas a jewelry box/jewelry would be more sentimental. Maybe your decision will depend on the occasion; or you could give her both, seeing that the box is already made.

+1 to what emmiwy said. I have a jewelry box (that I got for like $25 at Fred Meyer, so while it's functional, it's nowhere near as beautiful as what you have created). Other than a nice strand of pearls that my parents gave me when I graduated from high school, and a watch or two, there's not anything in there that cost more than the box itself, and most things cost quite a bit less. For me, jewelry is fun, cheap stuff that I don't really care if I damage or lose. I'm not into bling, I'm not into expensive baubles. So, people who know me know that's not the kind of gift for me. I have no idea if your girlfriend is the type who will appreciate the jewelry box more as a beautiful hand-crafted piece in and of itself, or if she'll appreciate it as somewhere to keep her pricey trinkets. You probably know that about her already, so you I think you need to trust your own gut on whether / what to buy her to put into the box.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Thanks for the nice words everyone!:)
Im going for the computer (need a new thread to help me pick one out, not too computer savvy).

She's a simple girl, not blingy at all. She gets really excited when I go backpacking and bring her home some unique looking rock I found for her. She inspects it like a nerd and adds it to her bowl if rocks I found for her. Im sure she would like something jewelery wise, but she only gets fancied up when we go out to
the theatre or something. And she has a few pieces of sentimental value from her grandmother she wears out.

Thanks for the good points brought up!

Contrary to common belief, not all women need, want, have to have jewelry. I would guess you know your girlfriend better than your co-workers do, stick to your own instinct. Crafting something by hand to me sounds like a gift with a lot of love behind it.

What motivated you to make a jewelry box? You obviously have exceptional skill. Does she already have jewelry to store there?

I also agree with em on the above 3 points. If she needs to see jewelry in it after all the time, thought & effort of making the box, I would say you should seriously reconsider the type of relationship you want.

...and the fact that you paid attention to her needing a new computer says so much more than thinking she needs something shiny before she can appreciate the beautiful box. If you can afford it, go with the box & the computer.
See the upside, and always wear your parachute! -- Christopher Titus

Shut Up & Jump!

That is incredible. Interested in making another?

I could make another one, but everything I make on the side of work is one if a kind, makes it a bit more special.

There's a lot of avenues I can take to change things up though and make something along the same lines.

I would love to create something for you or anyone, BUT, I've been doing too many side jobs the past 6-7 years, Im taking a needed break in 2012. I've turned down side jobs from my interior designer friend already that would push into 2012 too far. The commitment I made for my regular work let's me have a month off at a time next year (reserved for jumping and traveling). I started jumping last December, made a commitment to build/design a set for a puppet pilot sitcom during that time that didn't let me jump as much as I would like in 2011.

So 2012 Im living my childhood dreams of flying without any obligations.