npgraphicdesign

Skier or Snowboarder?

Another big fan of the ski blades. I enjoyed learning to do some jumps on them last winter. I use regular skis too. Only been on a snowboard once and my butt was very sore by the end of the night. I would like to try cross country but the I would need to travel as there are not too many places that do that near me, I don't think.
"What if there were no hypothetical questions?"

I ski and board both, if I go fast and tree's I use skiis.
As for falling you need to not catch your self with your palms, make a fist, less impact on the wrist, hands aren't being bent backwards.
Experience is a difficult teacher, she gives you the test first and the lesson afterward

I'm a snowboarder now. I used to ski but switched after a big knee surgery. I thought that I would be less likely to twist/torque my knee with my feet strapped down on one board. So far, so good.

I think its true that it is easier to get to mastery of the harder stuff on a snowboard. By my second season snowboarding, I was pretty comfortable on all the terrain at Mt. Baker except for the out of bounds stuff.

We're dying for some more snow out here in Montana. Here is a picture of some of the powder at our house last year. Just another Monday..

"Life is a temporary victory over the causes which induce death." - Sylvester Graham

Snowboarder...I've been fortunate to ski/ride the top resorts in NA and absolutely love taking the winter off jumping to ride....I started skiing between my pops legs when I was 2, started riding when I was 9, and haven't looked back. I started riding because it was the 'cool' thing to do in the 90's and I love it.

I used to be one of those douchey park rats that cuts people off, hucks myself off booters, and hits the rails in the park and in illegal street spots...then I grew up.

I bought a longer, wider board and love cruisers and hitting the back bowls. It became less about the cool tricks and more about the purity of enjoying the mountain. I live in St. Louis but have a Colorado Epic pass the last few years since my sister lives out there and my only expense is airfare (STL to DIA is cheap on Southwest).

As far as equipment, I ride Burton. Board, bindings, boots. I know they take crap for being the corporate giant but they make good shit and their stuff last. I have a 162 Royale, P2 bindings, and Moto boots. super comfy.

Anyone going to be in Breck Jan 1st-7th???

So which one are you? Once the winter season is in, I like to take a break from jumping and enjoy the white stuff.

I use these little badboys (see attached photo.) Been using them for so long that i forgot how to ski on full-size skis. I'll actually need to take a few lessons this year...:o:S

So what kind of equipment do you have, what's your favorite type of terrain to ski on, etc?

Oh my goodness, another blader! my husband and I fell in love with these a few years back, and they are so much fun. We rarely see anyone else with these on the slopes.

We are skiers, but someone recommended these as learning tools, actually, and we just couldn't stop using them. As for learning tools, they are absolutely spectacular, as you pretty much have to have perfect balance, which of course then carries over to full-length skis.

Fun fact: I am a 30-something woman who never really skateboarded at all, and i am proud to say that I ran my very first half-pipe ever, in any sport, on a pair of blades a couple of years back. I felt so hip. :ph34r:

Allow me to disagree. :| I have been skiing on blades for about 6 years now w/o touching full size skis. Last year, I tried to ski on full size skis again. Bad idea...as I took one of the worst tumbles I've ever have on skis...and I haven't had many. I pretty much forgot how to ski on full size skis again. Of course, it didn't help that I tried to re-learn on a black diamond. :ph34r::D

Going to a mountain in about 3 weeks that has 80% woods skiing and 20% open trails, all ungroomed. We'll see how THAT goes. Mount Bohemia in WI...

Another big fan of the ski blades. I enjoyed learning to do some jumps on them last winter. I use regular skis too. Only been on a snowboard once and my butt was very sore by the end of the night. I would like to try cross country but the I would need to travel as there are not too many places that do that near me, I don't think.

That's what she said. :D:D:D

And the blades are so much fun...but they don't do that great in deep powder.

Oh yeah, Abedy, cross-country is definitely for fossils ;)

- Kati Wilhelm
Hellooooo, how YOU doin' ?? :$

Crosscountry skier from birth till around 13, Downhill skier for a couple of years, then Snowboarded for 15+years, got back to downhill the last couple of years. So much fun with modern skis.

Now I do some snowshoeing, and want to go back snowboarding and crosscountry skiing:)
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

I ski and board both, if I go fast and tree's I use skiis.
As for falling you need to not catch your self with your palms, make a fist, less impact on the wrist, hands aren't being bent backwards.

Tuck in and PLF!!

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

So what kind of equipment do you have, what's your favorite type of terrain to ski on, etc?

I'm in the midwest so no powder here. No mountains either, just some small hills. Have to work with what I've got and take vacations to places with mountains.

I'm intrigued by the snow blades. Seems like it would be harder, maybe less stable? What is the transition like going from long skis to blades?

Here's a pic of my new skis and boots! This will be the first time I have boots that actually fit. They don't make women's boots in my size, had to get junior race boots. Still have to get the bindings mounted on my skis but I'll be skiing this weekend! I can't wait!:)

I'm in the midwest so no powder here. No mountains either, just some small hills. Have to work with what I've got and take vacations to places with mountains.

I'm intrigued by the snow blades. Seems like it would be harder, maybe less stable? What is the transition like going from long skis to blades?

Here's a pic of my new skis and boots! This will be the first time I have boots that actually fit. They don't make women's boots in my size, had to get junior race boots. Still have to get the bindings mounted on my skis but I'll be skiing this weekend! I can't wait!:)

Well, I'm no expert but here are my thoughts.

Advantages of ski blades
- much quicker turns due to less 'ski' to move
- easier to transport (I put my skis/boots into my suitcase.)
- no need for ski poles for the most part
- A lot of fun!!!

Disadvantages
- hard to develop speed on more open terrain (that's where ski poles are really needed)
- need to work a bit harder to keep them stable
- don't work so well when skiing in deeper powder (they sink quickly & catch often on the snow.)
- They instigate sarcastic comments from various people. Last time I went to ski, a ski patrolman comes up to me and says "hey what happened to those things? Did they shrink in the dryer?" To which I said "No they were too long so I took a hacksaw to them." :D:D:D

Your new skis look good. Have fun on the slopes and be safe! ;)

Living in Breckenridge for the past 4 years (and visiting the area for 8 years before that), I do both, but I haven't strapped on a board since before I missed out the entirety of two seasons ago by breaking my tib-fib the day after Thanksgiving that year (4 hours after purchase of my Epic - refunded thankfully). Miserable Winter on crutches. Last year I only skied (55 MOST excellent days with the record snowfall), partly for my concern over focus on symmetry. I don't know if I'll ever go back to boarding, I love the trees especially on powder days, (back bowls of Vail are Heaven), and oddly I feel like I have progressed so much more after the accident than I was before, maybe part of it is the appreciation and zeal for being back at it after missing out the prior season.
Roll Tide Roll

That's what she said. :D:D:D

And the blades are so much fun...but they don't do that great in deep powder.

That's true.

I'm an intermediate skiier, but my husband is full on back country extreme type skiier who has 3 different sets of skis JUST for different powder conditions, not counting his cruisers and his blades >
I was really proud of him last march when he climbed/skiied Mt. Shasta. Looked like a ton of fun, but there's no way I could have done it.
Never meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!

That's true.

I'm an intermediate skiier, but my husband is full on back country extreme type skiier who has 3 different sets of skis JUST for different powder conditions, not counting his cruisers and his blades >
I was really proud of him last march when he climbed/skiied Mt. Shasta. Looked like a ton of fun, but there's no way I could have done it.

Pffft...climb before ski? Where is the darn ski lift? :D

Sticks for me.... for almost 50 years now. I tried snowboarding once, caught an edge wrong and have had a headache ever since. [:/]

I had this conversation with a snot nose snowboarder on a chairlift once. He told me, “snowboards are better because you can turn around and go backwards as easily as forwards. And, you can’t do that on skies.” I got off the chairlift and showed him just how wrong he was!!!
B|

Birdshit & Fools Productions

"Son, only two things fall from the sky."

Ha ha! I can relate with that headache:S Now I always wear a helmet when I snowboard. There are to many fun things to be jumping off of an flipping over to not protect the brain cavity. I gave up skiing after hurting my knee. Snowboarding tends to keep my knees safer and I've took to it well. See you on the slopes[cool

Sticks for me.... for almost 50 years now. I tried snowboarding once, caught an edge wrong and have had a headache ever since. [:/]

I had this conversation with a snot nose snowboarder on a chairlift once. He told me, “snowboards are better because you can turn around and go backwards as easily as forwards. And, you can’t do that on skies.” I got off the chairlift and showed him just how wrong he was!!!
B|

not so nice on the headache..

nice on proving the snot note boarder that he's wrong. ;)

And..why can't we all just get along????

bolth! im a ski/snowboard instructor i love em bolth but i gotta say skiing is better, i roll on K2 pontoons for pow and rosy scratches for semi pow to icy days, when i board i have a burton clash w/ k2 bindings(its for sale)
"when people look like ants pull-
when ants look like people pray-"

Yeah, someone from Switzerland ought to be able to get along with a kinds of skis etc pp.

I started vice versa. We went to Thuringia now and then for winter holiday when I was a child. (I come from Cottbus in Brandenburg, so I'm a Flachlandtiroler B|) We enjoyed downhill skiing (well it was sort of "Idiotenhügel" idiot's hill only) with them old skis with spring attachments etc.
It was only in the 1990s (I was a Thurinigian then already) that we discovered XCountry for us. B|

The sky is not the limit. The ground is.

The Society of Skydiving Ducks

Both. Did 10 years on skis, then 10 years on a board, and now I do either depending on the snow. In deep powder you can't beat a board, it feels like surfing. If I am back country (skinning), or on less good snow, definitely skis.
Never try to eat more than you can lift

Snowboarding all day...

I have 2 setups, one for park and one for mountain

Park set up (haven't touched in about 6 years)

Burton Custom
Burton custom Bindings
(the board is short....really short, but pops like a mofo)

Mountain set up

Rossignol Dazer
Burton freestyle bingings

as for the rest of my gear, well that changes and im sure you dont really care but ill lay it out

spy goggles
Columbia Jacket
Columbia Pants
Patagonia Gloves
Liquid Leash
Burton Freestyle boots
Diamond stomp pads

Its been a while since I have gotten to shred but ill be carving it up this winter for sure, most likely up at Boyne Michigan, no more board park for me though, last time it ended in a broken clavicle .
get that monkey off your back, live free,
If you got a cup put it in the AIR,
if you got a blunt you better puff it and SHARE....

Both. Did 10 years on skis, then 10 years on a board, and now I do either depending on the snow. In deep powder you can't beat a board, it feels like surfing. If I am back country (skinning), or on less good snow, definitely skis.

If you like a board on powder you really ought to try the K2 Pontoons, I too have a pair for powder and love em'
Experience is a difficult teacher, she gives you the test first and the lesson afterward

haha, you're taking a BREAK from skydiving; that must be the best joke of the year!!!

:D:D:D

i've also had ski's in that size; when i was maybe 2 or 3yrs old..

i'm snowboarding for about 25yrs now, but wanna try some skiing again, those carvers look like a lot of fun.. :)

“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda