fleefly

freefly?

i just wanted some pointers, on my last dive befor the snow came i sat for about 500 feet then turned into a back flip,

So you corked out of a sit after 2 seconds?

13 jumps?? LEARN TO FLY ON YOUR BELLY FIRST!
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

So you corked out of a sit after 2 seconds?

+1
Skydiving like everything requires a good base.

I give up, they got 2 docks in with a coach, they've got mad skills.[:/]
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly

im not sayin i have skillz, im still a rookie with much to learn. i just want to have fun learn new things

Thats fine let me ask you a few questions that people asked me when i wanted to start freeflying:
1) do you know how to turn with only your legs?
2) do you know how to do a kick dive to a formation?
3) do you know how to fly mantis style?
4) do you know how to control fall rate? (relates to question 2 i know)
5) how are your docking skills?
6) do you know how to back fly? (very important for freeflying also considered freeflying)

those are some of the many things you can still learn on your belly. be patient their are steps to everything and you will get there i mean you still can't even jump with lots of other people which is a whole other ball game... i'm a very eager and energetic person and hear it all the time (the be patient part)

also you might want to read this:
http://collegeskydiving.com/tips-from-the-pros/freefly/13-freeflying-getting-started

just a little food for thought

i can fly my belly,

I thought I could belly fly with 13 jumps too. Once I got into the mantis position in the tunnel I realized I was wrong and now I'm learning so much more.

What does 19 years on a DZ count towards on your AFF progression card. I'm assuming jack shit but I could be wrong,

Belly and back are part of freeflying -
the OP is still a baby at those too

learn it all - and in the best order to be good.

Too many jumpers skip belly, back, and sitflying and just do crappy headdown - these people are NOT real freeflyers.. If they did all of it, they could be good - or at least they could be equally crappy in more orientations.....:D

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

I don't know if this is useful to you or not - or anybody for that matter, but www.skydivingmagazine.com has a really good sale on dvd's at the moment. There are some called "freeflying Basics" or something like that.

They are a series of videos that explain in detail freeflying techniques starting with backfly, then sitfly etc etc. I have never seen them but thought it might be useful to you. Hope it helps ;)

i can fly my belly,

What does 19 years on a DZ count towards on your AFF progression card. I'm assuming jack shit but I could be wrong,

it really doesnt have any thing to do with my progression. during my 19 years on the dz i would talk to skydivers and watch videos and they would talk to me about waht happened on their jumps and stuff like that, and i would pretend to skydive on the floor and they would walk by and critique me.
"when people look like ants pull-
when ants look like people pray-"

during my 19 years on the dz i would talk to skydivers and watch videos and they would talk to me about waht happened on their jumps and stuff like that, and i would pretend to skydive on the floor and they would walk by and critique me.

You can not learn anything in skydiving (skill-wise) by watching videos or touching people hoping that their knowledge will magicaly pass onto you that way...

You got to go and do it. Lots of times...
dudeist skydiver #42

You can not learn anything in skydiving (skill-wise) by watching videos or touching people hoping that their knowledge will magicaly pass onto you that way...

you mean my instructor lied to me?! those van sessions weren't necessary to be a better skydiver???? :o

:D:D:D:D

you mean my instructor lied to me?! those van sessions weren't necessary to be a better skydiver???? :o

:D:D:D:D

Oh, I forgot, It works only if you are touching at "special places". :ph34r:

OP, sorry for the thread drift...
dudeist skydiver #42

Oh, I forgot, It works only if you are touching at "special places". :ph34r:

OP, sorry for the thread drift...

or does it just require "fluid transfer" for a "knowledge transfer"? ;):):D

but on a serious note to the OP learn to fly on your belly first. two successful docks does not count as being proficient at belly flying. you are starting to sound a bit like this guy and you REALLY don't want that. good luck with your progression :)

but on a serious note to the OP learn to fly on your belly first. two successful docks does not count as being proficient at belly flying. you are starting to sound a bit like this guy and you REALLY don't want that. good luck with your progression :)

Yes. Good luck with freefly.
On a side note, a buddy of mine has 700 jumps/40+ hours of belly flying in the tunnel. He got himself 2+ hours to start to learn FF. He says he sucked - big time. It was soooo difficult to learn FF for him. In that time he managed to go over some backfly and some basic sit.
dudeist skydiver #42

it's all just pushing air - flying in one orientation provides a LOT of insight into flying in all the other orientations - as long as student has the right mindset

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

I'll tell you a funny story about this some time...
:$

Remember that time a guy pulled his sons reserve on the ground after he went free flying because his dad told him not to and to get better on his belly first?:D:D