lintern

Can a rigger make my harness smaller ?

I bought a second hand (although nearly new) Wings rig 6 months ago for my first rig.

It's a fairly good fit although not perfect, obviously because the rig was not made to fit me.

I have noticed that when under canopy my cut away and reserve handles move upwards towards my shoulders rather than remaining by my chest where they should be.

Could this be a problem if I ever needed to use them ? Especially if it was a spinning mal ?

When asking around for advice, an AFF instructor told me about a rigger they know who can make the harness smaller to fit me and that it's an easy job to do.

I am very tempted to get it done but I was wondering whether it's a good idea or not ?

I am very tempted to get it done but I was wondering whether it's a good idea or not ?

I haven't a clue what rigger you had recommended. By my advice would be that not all riggers are excellent sewers. Certainly they will be able to make safe adjustments to the harness, but it may also be obvious that it wasn't done at the factory. It may be cheaper this way, but if you want your rig to stay looking new, then sloppy sewing will not help. Ask around to people who have used him for sewing before, or ask if you can see some of his work. This is a $1200 piece of equipment you are having modified.

I got a strong urge to fly, but I got no where to fly to. -PF

You have a good question right there!
When I have a customer asking for this kind of service, I "always" recommend to have the rig service at the manufacturer.
Here is why?
1-The manufacturer does this work everyday, I mean everyday!
2-It's also cheaper than you think.
Harness work varies by manufacturer, some allow you to work once and some allow you to work twice(if a mistake is done).
I'm a Master Rigger with a lot of experience in sewing also, but it doesn't give the permission to convince you that I'll be better to perform this major mod.
Contact the Manufacturer, tell them your problem with your new container and I can tell you that Sunrise Rigging will do all they can to help you out.
Blue Skies,
Augusto "Gus" Marinho
Rigging Solutions
Gus Marinho

I have noticed that when under canopy my cut away and reserve handles move upwards towards my shoulders rather than remaining by my chest where they should be.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

All harnesses are going to shift upwards during opening.
The real question is whether you are chewing on your chest strap or there is more than a 4 finger gap between your harness and the top of your shoulders.

Harness adjustments are a complex process. Your local Master Rigger may be able to do the sewing, but subtle sizing decisions are best left to the factory.
For example, I have re-sized dozens of harnesses without ever touching the webbing, because the new owner had smaller thighs than the first owner and it was simpler to shorten the leg pads.
The best way to start a harness re-sizing project is to measure your self - as if you were ordering a new harness - and FAX the order form to the factory along with an explanation that includes the serial number of the second-hand rig. Usually the factory will get back to you in a day or two with new dimensions.
Then ask your local Master Rigger if he/she is experienced at changing those specific straps. Sometimes harness re-sizing is a simple matter of removing stitching, sliding a strap an inch or two, then re-sewing (maybe $100). On the other end of the scale, the new owner may be so much larger that he needs an entirely new harness ($400).