loumeinhart

she won't come up from the basement

She just needs time and patience. She'll make her way upstairs soon enough.

An older kitty recently found us.. she hung out in the upstairs spare bedroom for a good two weeks or so before moving around to the rest of the house. Now she is everywhere and really warming up.

She probably doesn't hate you, but she's clearly taking her time to adjust.

I recommend bribery in the form of tuna. Preferably "tuna for cats" from Trader Joe's (it's extra stinky).
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

catnip, tuna, laser pointer, and some patience.

good deal. She's a 20 pounder so I'll get the big tuna pack.

Twenty pounds?? :o
Maybe she's just too fat to get back up the stairs. ;) Careful with the amount of food you give her.

Patience is the key. Don't force it.
Be yourself!
MooOOooOoo

If she's a maine coon or similar type of cat 20 lbs isnt too bad. My old cat was 18lbs and considered only slightly over weight.

and to the OP, from my experience, cats hate major changes. As said above, she'll warm up to you. Bribes work wonders. If she doesn't respond to tuna (one of my cats actually doesnt like it that much) just try something else food wise.

I had one years ago that stayed under the upstairs bed for about a week. Each day I would take a few minutes and take her dish up to her. I would lay on the floor and just talk to her for a few minutes each time. If she started getting nervous I would leave. She eventually started inching her way out. She became one of the best lap cats!:)
Patience, love and food!! Yours will come around.:)

"It's not just a daydream if you choose to make it your life..."

"

... and to the OP, from my experience, cats hate major changes. As said above, she'll warm up to you...

"

I suspect that is because cats are hunters and they track mouse movements by noting changes in their environment. She will need a few weeks to draw a mental map of your basement, then she will start to slowly expand her mental map to include the rest of your house.

Provide food, water a nice warm blanket and an open door. Give her time and she will find you.....

It may take a day it may take a month
Life through good thoughts, good words, and good deeds is necessary to ensure happiness and to keep chaos at bay.

The only thing that falls from the sky is birdshit and fools!

We adopted a rabbit 2 years ago, when we got him all he knew was the inside of his cage, we gave him full run of the apartment , fortunately litter training took only 2 days, he spent the first 3 weeks under the couch, only coming out to eat and do his business in the cage, after that he came out to explore a little bit and then back under the couch, after 2 more weeks he hung out in front of the tv, very standoffish, and would scoot under the couch if something startled him or we had a visitor. Now he travels the apartment from room to room, hangs out in his spot in the corner of the living room, at least 2x per day hops up on the couch for a visit and to get his ears scratched and get his daily feed of pumpkin seeds, greets visitors at the door, presumably looking for a handout and has on occasion gone exploring the hallway if the wife or I leave the apartment door open. Give her time, she'll come around.

"The greater danger for most of us is not that our aim is too high and we miss it, but that it is too low and we reach it." - Michelangelo

she won't come up from the basement

Who else thought of "It rubs the lotion on its skin!"

The instant I read the title.

We may need counselling, councilor...

there's good therapy HERE
Some people refrain from beating a dead horse. Personally, I find a myriad of entertainment value when beating it until it becomes a horse-smoothie.