dzjunky77

Help! Is this a scam?

Thanks for the quick response, i am buying this item as a birthday gift for dad and i am at sea at this moment as i am a marine engineer and due to the nature of my work,phone calls making and visiting of website are restricted but i squeezed out time to check this advert and send you an email regarding it. I really want this item to be a surprise for dad so i wont let him know anything about the item until it gets delivered to him, i am sure he will be more than happy with the item,.I insisted on paypal because i don't have access to my bank account online as i don't have internet banking, but i can pay from my PayPal account, as i have my bank a/c attached to it, i will need you to give me your PayPal email address so i can make the payment as soon as possible for the item and pls if you don't have PayPal account yet,it is very easy to set up, go on www.paypal.com and get it set up ,after you have set it up i will only need the e-mail address and name you use for the registration with PayPal so as to put the money through.my dad have pick up agent that will come and pick the item up after i have made the payment.I would really like to come to see the item, but due to my work frame that would not be possible, I am a Marine engineer , I am now on the ship, but if you got the item pics. you can send to me to have a good look

Are you the first owner of the item ,
Does the item have any mechanical disabilities presently?
What is your reason for selling it?

I'm sorry, just want to be sure about the sale before i proceed.

Note: I will pay you $2,500.00 for the item.Get back to me with your PayPal e-mail asap.
Regards

Edit to add: This a generator that I'm selling for my father on Craigslist. Thanks for any help or advice. :)

He did a pretty good job, up till e-mail #3 when he said he would add funds for the "shipping agent" and would i please pay the agent.

But still, how would having the paypal info be a benefit? We the account holders have to authorize a payment from us to some one.

Matt
An Instructors first concern is student safety.
So, start being safe, first!!!

Paypal is supposed to be relatively safe, but people with stolen credit cards can set up an account and use the stolen card info, then the payment reversed when the fraud is realized - I think that's how the scam would go when paypal is used to pay for something. Of course picking up an item in person is part of the scam.

Maybe there is something within paypal that prevents people from doing this, or allows sellers to check out the history of a buyer, I don't know.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

He is still e-mailing, I am keeping the e-mails and will e-mail them to dz.com and paypal.

He is saying the additional funds are for his "purchasing agent". The amount is not high but I can see how they would add up to a good amount of cash even if only two a day paid off.

Matt

Just got this e-mail from the same guy after I told him cash only and local pick-up only.

(buyer) Hello,
Thanks for your quick response ,I will not be coming to view it because of my Job,i am a Marine and i am buying this for my Uncle.i am at sea right now and am satisfied with your firm/advert price,as am requesting this transaction should be done via PayPal so the PayPal charges is on me and Payment will be made via PayPal (if you don't have an account,its easy,safe and secured just log on to (www.paypal.com) to get one and get back to me with the email used.My mover will arrange for the pick up after payment clears and I hope we can make the purchase as fast as possible? I want you to get back with the following details

1: Your Paypal email ID or a paypal payment invoice

2: Your Last asking price

3: Your contact address for the pick up

4. More pics.

Thanks...

It does have red flags but he says after payment clears?? Not sure how to understand that if its a scam. I understand the money order or bank check scam but paypal?

It's a new version of the old scam.
The fraudulent payment they make to PayPal will "clear" immediately, You then send off the item. After PayPal finds out that the payment is not valid, they take your money back.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

First he's buying it for his dad, then he's buying it for his uncle. Maybe you can sell him two generators.

Don

Don't be so unkind and untrusting. If his mom married her brother then he can call him dad or uncle depending on his mood:P:P
Experienced jumper - someone who has made mistakes more often than I have and lived.

He is back.
I have reported him to pay pal and to DZ.com twice now.
Hew replied to the new adds in minutes, with the same sob story.
He stopped contact when I told him I was a marine biologist at sea and was selling this for my dad and would be using a shipping agent who would charge 10 times the cost of shipping.
Hopefully DZ.com will block him soon.

Matt

He is back.
I have reported him to pay pal and to DZ.com twice now.
Hew replied to the new adds in minutes, with the same sob story.
He stopped contact when I told him I was a marine biologist at sea and was selling this for my dad and would be using a shipping agent who would charge 10 times the cost of shipping.
Hopefully DZ.com will block him soon.

Matt

Curious, who did you report him to? I got a PM from a user that has no business getting on here... I sent it to Meso, with no idea of who handles that stuff.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban