rsb5267

Replacing Spectra Lines

Hey guys

I'm getting pretty due for a new lineset, this I know. Been meaning to get it done over the winter, but never got around to it. Now I ordered my new Spectra lineset for my Spectre 170, but really want to wait for the right time before I send it in for a reline as I have jump fever currently.

My question: If I gave pictures of my lines to a rigger, or had a rigger look at it directly, could they tell me how badly I am in dire need of a new lineset? i.e, could they tell me if it is safe for me to jump for another 20-30 jumps? Or is number of jumps since last reline really the only way to gauge when a new set is needed?

Thanks

A rigger could not give you any guarantees that your lineset is good. But she could tell if there is a good reason to ground it. If you were jumping it before, it probably is still good for a few jumps. But if you have any reason to be not sure, an inspection is a very good idea.
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

Number of jumps is never the reason to reline, the actual condition of the lines is. The number is a proxy for that information, which might sometimes be difficult to obtain without detailed inspection, but it's always the condition of the lines that decides. If your lines have 50 jumps on them, but are in a bad shape, you should still reline.

A rigger will be able to determine whether, and to what extent, you need to reline. Spectra lines age well with regards to wear, but go out of trim because they're not dimensionally stable when exposed to friction heat. Comparing to the trim chart for the canopy can be used to determine if a spectra lineset needs to be changed. Sometimes only the brake lines, which are subject to most friction and thus shrinkage, can be changed to restore acceptable trim; your rigger will also be able to determine that.
"Skydivers are highly emotional people. They get all excited about their magical black box full of mysterious life saving forces."

The short answer to your questions are no, no, and no. An EXPERIENCED rigger can tell you how much out of trim your canopy is and in general what condition your lines are. No one can predict if they are going to break in the next 20 or 30 jumps, or if you canopy performance is going to go to hell in the next 20 or 30 jumps. We might be able to make a guess with a precision of a hundred jumps.

If jumping is more important than possible broken lines or degraded canopy performance then jump. If you have a line set already a master rigger with a bar tacker can put them on. (Some will argue any rigger.) Actual work time is a couple of hours plus on minus an hour based on experience. Get in his or her schedule and you won't be of jumping more than a couple of days.

BTW the sky isn't going anywhere.:S Err on the conservative side and if someone has told you then need changing then do it.

I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE