Andy9o8

I-Phone, Blackberry or Android?

I just went from a Blackberry to an iPhone about 2 weeks ago.

If you use the phone mostly for phone calls and messaging, the blackberry is a better device. All messages integrated into one list, combined with the ability to alter notification settings for each is far superior to the iPhone.

I also miss the easy of changing notification scenarios on the blackberry, as well as the ability to change it based on time etc.

For the remainder, the iPhone is a far superior gadget.

If all you do is text, email and use the phone, go with the blackberry.

If you want more go with the iPhone or an Android phone.

Just be aware that the battery life on the iPhone 4S is not very good. Though I hear the same is thecase for many Android phones.

I have an iPhone 4. Just set my boss up with a new iPhone 4s two weeks ago. On Friday, he left the phone in an airport lounge in Toronto. Got on his plane, flew away. Called and let me know on Saturday. I went onto his iCloud account, locked his phone and had it display a message to call me at my home number. Two hours later I got a call from the person that had found it. Gave our Fedex account number yesterday and today it is back on his desk.

iCloud is great! I finally have Contact and Calendar sync-ing across all my various computers and devices (Iphone 4, iPad, MacBook, iMac) that works on a hassle-free basis.

Siri is pretty cool as well. I wish that I had more than just a bit of experience with it but I can tell you it blew me away when a friend of my boss picked up his iPhone 4s and asked it for the latest stock price on a small Canadian oil and gas company and it gave it to him in a couple of seconds. It is just in beta and I think will continue to get better and more useful as time goes on.

One of the things about Android phones is the fragmentation in the market and the fact that if you buy one you are reliant on your carrier and/or manufacturer for any Android system upgrades. This leads to the possibility of all sorts of issues. Here's an article.

The camera on the 4S gets great reviews. Lots of apps out there for photography to do all sorts of things.

Looking at the whole ball of wax, I think it is hard to go wrong with an iPhone. There may be Android phones that suit you better but which one is it????
--
Murray

"No tyranny is so irksome as petty tyranny: the officious demands of policemen, government clerks, and electromechanical gadgets." - Edward Abbey

Things I did with an Android today (actually: 2 Androids)
I phoned!
I sent and received text messages.
I listened to music.
I got the one Android on the 3g network connecting with the internet and mimic a WiFi hotspot, while the other Android (7 inch multi-touch screen and a leather case with a usable keyboard built into it) connected to 'the phone WiFi' - enabled me to write email, update Facebook and all the other things where on the phone you usually by the third sentence start thinking 'I wish I had midgets fingers'...
I spoke to one of the gadgets, gave up a destination and then it started directing me through traffic, by earphone.
I spoke to the other gadget and it responded with the internet-page I was looking for.
I sold a car to I complete stranger who responded to an add on-line and I checked my bank-account on the spot whether he had indeed transferred the money to my account. He had.

Hot tip however - don't do to much of this stuff when you plan on doing more of this stuff outside your car / away from 'battery power' - just as I was going to ask the direction to the bus-station two hours later it wanted to be plugged to a wall socket or something - I ended up having to ask the natives my whereabouts.
But other than that, these machines are brilliant!
The guy buying my car had an Iphone. Making payments with that device is do-able, but my checking process went a lot smoother.

And now for the ultimate skydivers argument: How many jumps from full altitude can be made from the price-difference between my HTC Desire + Chinese 'DropadA8' tablet or running around with an Iphone / Ipad combination?
Do the math. :PB|:)

"Whoever in discussion adduces authority uses not intellect but memory." - Leonardo da Vinci
A thousand words...

Great information here, very helpful. Thanks, everyone.

So, what did y'all get?
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

Great information here, very helpful. Thanks, everyone.

So, what did y'all get?

Haven't purchased yet, but we've both ruled out the BB - now just deciding between the i-phone & the droid. Each has a lot of points in its respective favor.

We're close to buying, and while it's a tight race between iPhone & Droid (BB is out of the running), I'm starting to lean toward Droid. The reason is that people who've used GPS on both iPhone and Droid tell me that the Droid GPS is notably superior. To me, that's an important selling point.

Here are 3 articles that come down in favor of Droid in the GPS department. (It's a representative sample; I haven't found any articles, so far, that authoritatively prefer the iPhone for GPS in competition with the Droid).

http://www.pcworld.com/article/185350/droid_vs_iphone_smartphone_gps_shootout.html

http://www.geeksugar.com/Droid-vs-iPhone-Which-Has-Better-GPS-7017344

http://dotcomconfessions.com/from-our-team/iphone-vs-android-gps

What say you all?

Research Droid GPS issues and you'll find plenty. I have a Droid Charge and one of the primary reasons for selecting it was the mapping and navigating abilities.. I now find myself having to wait up to 15-20 minutes for the damn thing the figure out where it is ...

Research Droid GPS issues and you'll find plenty. I have a Droid Charge and one of the primary reasons for selecting it was the mapping and navigating abilities.. I now find myself having to wait up to 15-20 minutes for the damn thing the figure out where it is ...

That's interesting to hear; thanks.

Anyone else?

That's interesting to hear; thanks.

Anyone else?

It wasn't uncommon to see my co-workers having to plug their phones in even before lunch due to battery issues. Granted the iPhone isn't MUCH better.

My co-workers had all kinds of issues with their droids, but I think most of them were caused by them rooting and screwing with the settings. My iPhone 4 running iOS 5.0.1 and untethered jailbroken is more stable and I can't seem to find any bugs with it now. They were always having to reboot, lost connectivity and weird radio issues (signal strengths were inconsistent)

I would take a droid if it was given to me, but I don't know if I would replace my iPhone with one.
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

Thanks for the feedback. Any opinion on GPS issues in particular?

I haven't used it that much for turn by turn navigation, but I've never had an issue with it finding me, giving me directions to get to 'point b' or anything like that.

I have a Garmin integrated head unit that I installed in my truck for that.
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

>I have a Droid Charge and one of the primary reasons for selecting it was the
>mapping and navigating abilities.

AGPS (assisted GPS) gives you much faster startup but needs the network to get ephemeris data. So a lot of phones will give you very different performance based on network coverage where you are.

Thanks for the feedback. Any opinion on GPS issues in particular?

I haven't used it that much for turn by turn navigation, but I've never had an issue with it finding me, giving me directions to get to 'point b' or anything like that.

I have a Garmin integrated head unit that I installed in my truck for that.

We've got a Garmin something cell [home in the car. It thinks I live in my neighnors house.

The wife has a cheap ass pay as you go phone.

Still use a land line/

Some asked us for our cell nunber.

"Don't have one"

:o Do you have indoor plumbing?

:D

R