Rockpilot

Brand new member, unique request

Hello all, I'm excited to join the community.

I recently completed my first jump, tandem, and greatly enjoyed it. It's easy to see what you guys are hooked on.

I have a unique request that I was hoping the community could help me with, it literally takes 10 seconds and requires no info from you at all.

I proposed to my girlfriend while skydiving and she loved it so much that she entered us into a "Best Proposal" contest. We had a solid hold on 3rd place in the initial round of voting but have since slipped to 5th. With only 4 days left in this round we need to be in the top 3 to advance to the finals. We are entered in the "Adventurous" category and I believe we have the most badass story in the competition.

Here's the link to our story and picture. We were limited to 150 words.

http://proposalawards.condenastdigital.com/entries/668

All that I'm hoping you guys can do is click on the link and then click on the "Heart" next to our tally. If you want to go above and beyond that and share the link with your friends, family, and coworkers or share on Facebook that of course would be amazing but I could never ask anyone to do that.

Thanks in advance everyone, Happy New Year!

I hate to burst your bubble Romeo, but there isn't much "unique" about it.
Lots of folks, both regular skydivers and non have done the proposal thing. Although having the family hold up the letters was pretty cool.

And there's usually two or three requests for an online vote each week.

And yes, since I decided to bust your balls about this, I did vote for you.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

I hate to burst your bubble Romeo, but there isn't much "unique" about it.
Lots of folks, both regular skydivers and non have done the proposal thing. Although having the family hold up the letters was pretty cool.

And there's usually two or three requests for an online vote each week.

And yes, since I decided to bust your balls about this, I did vote for you.

Haha, well thanks for the insight, and for the vote. Both are appreciated.

Cheers!

It may not be that unique to skydivers but for most other people it's pretty amazing. And the way you did it was really cute. I think it's awesome! I put it on my FB status. I hope you win!

You should go skydiving for your anniversary every year now. B|

Hell yeah, thanks for the FB love! That's awesome and totally appreciated.

I keep throwing that idea around to jump every year, she still hasn't recovered from the first jump, haha. Maybe I'll just have to "win" another skydiving package...

I think you'd be surprised by how un-unique this request is.

I swear we must get at least a couple of these a month including the request to vote for the video in some contest.

If you were referring to the one I posted, that contest was to help a friend of mine who has been through hell and back win a car. Her husband has cancer, one very very ill daughter and a car that is all screwed up. Not begging for a dog to win a picture contest or someone to get something that they could actually earn themselves pending no major life disasters as my friend has had to deal with over the last several years ;-)

if you were not referring to me Quade, then disregard. I don't ask much from anyone on this site but this was a very dear friend of mine with a very ill daughter and husband trying to make ends meet on her own while caring for both sick loved ones.

Sorry to hijack your thread Rockpilot, good luck! :-)
She is not a "Dumb Blonde" - She is a "Light-Haired Detour Off The Information Superhighway."
eeneR
TF#72, FB#4130, Incauto

Nobody in particular. Really. But I swear it currently does happen at least every couple of weeks.

In the Mod's Evil Lair we've discussed it and have even considered stopping the practice, but we don't' think it's quite to that point yet. Still, it's absolutely not "unique."
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

Some of the requests for votes are pretty stupid. Others are so far removed from the community that it's ridiculous.

A few are worthwhile causes or people who I actually know. Those are the ones I vote for normally.

Guess which category yours went into. :)
I normally wouldn't have voted for this sort of thing. One time tandem, new member to the site and so on. But I figured that since I was going to be kind of a dick about the "unique" comment, I could at least be kind enough to give a vote.

"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

Ha! She's cool, but not THAT cool.

Thanks for the vote!

Well, she seems to have started and deleted a thread of her own on this.

And if you want lots of votes, search for the "Glory" thread. I don't care myself, but I'm sure you would get votes from the ladies on here for contributing to it. :P

Yes, I deleted it. I apologize for duplicating. I didn't mean to upset anyone. We are just happy to share our story and thought skydive folks would get a kick out of it.

You don't have to apologize to me. Maybe I should apologize to you.

Your enthusiasm is great. The excitement of first timers is one of the things I really love about this sport. I did get a kick out of it.

But the idea that it was unique, especially considering how many of these contest requests show up around here, is a little much.

Good luck, both with the contest and your life together (really, no sarcasm at all).

Just make sure you do another jump in the future.;)

I have to admit I never vote on these type request... It ruins the reason for voting in my opinion.... you are not voting because you feel his adventure proposal was better, you are voting because he could create more 'hits'... lame in my opinion.

that site has dozens of tandem proposals with signs... why was the OP's better ?

Ha! She's cool, but not THAT cool.

Thanks for the vote!

:D If you stick around long enough, you'll see there is a culture of boobies here. (as there should be)

My reply was in jest. You don't know me well enough for me to joke with you about naked shots of your new fiance....I meant no disrespect. But, I still find the juvenile humor to be fun.:D
My photos

My Videos

I have to admit I never vote on these type request... It ruins the reason for voting in my opinion.... you are not voting because you feel his adventure proposal was better, you are voting because he could create more 'hits'... lame in my opinion.

that site has dozens of tandem proposals with signs... why was the OP's better ?

There ARE dozens of them here. His is special to him because thats the only one he's part of.

One thing to remember is that while we "see it all" on this very specialized internet forum, it's still "unique" in some circles.

Try no to be so tainted. He's excited. If the Mods see this as a burgeoning problem, maybe they could add it to the rules or a update "things not to do/ why your post got deleted" thread.
My photos

My Videos

i voted this time because of the additional effort of getting the family and friends to hold up letters. That goes above what I normally see at the DZ (and yes marriage proposals while skydiving don't seem unique to me, but neither does skydiving).
For the same reason I jump off a perfectly good diving board.