CanopyPiloting

Details on the new "JVX" Extreme...

The VX has evolved! The JVX is a new improved VX specifically designed for serious swoopers that want a competition canopy like the factory pilots fly...

The JVX is a 27-cell elliptical cross braced Tri-cell with upgrades like a new nose modification, improved trim, longer lines, no stabilizers, X-slider and an HMA line option. The JVX is slim, sleek and fast with less drag. First off, the JVX has no stabilizers. Stabilizers on small HP canopies don't due much except flap in the wind causing added parasite drag. The Icarus Project first dealt with the problem of reducing stabilizer drag by successfully developing ram-air stabilizers. Later in the project we realized no stabilizers was even better! However, stabilizers are useful for holding the position of the slider during packing and they also reduce the amount of air that escapes around the slider during the deployment sequence.

To reap the benefits of having no stabilizers we needed to develop a slider that would fool the canopy into thinking it had stabilizers during the deployment...the "X-slider". Making the slider larger did not fix the issue because as the slider gets bigger the grommets get further apart. If the slider gets too big, the grommets too far apart causing additional problems on opening. The X-slider is actually a standard size Icarus slider with a skirt added to the four outside panels. This allows the grommets to stay in the same position for deployment while the skirt fills the space once occupied by the stabilizers. The skirt also covers more of the nose during deployment. The JVX opens much better than any other Extreme! Some of the early prototypes sniveled so long they had to increase the opening speed for lower altitude jumps! The X-slider is also designed so you can fold the skirt panels inward and roll it up behind your head for a normal stow.

The JVX also incorporates a new trim which is a serious upgrade from the VX. The new trim increases the rear riser pressure and has no slack in the D lines. This not only reduces tail flutter but provides a better platform for rear riser flying! In addition, the overall line length on the JVX is longer creating more time for the pilot to catch up with the canopy during a turn resulting in a longer dive.

The JVX packs slightly smaller than a VX because their are no stabilizers and very thin HMA lines. The JVX comes with two HMA line sets, custom colors, custom sizes and side logo panels that don't flake off after ten pack jobs. The thin HMA line sets can last a couple hundred jumps if taken care of. HMA's short life span is the main reason our JVX comes with two line sets on delivery. Pilots also have the option to get standard Vectran line with the JVX. The JVX is offered directly from Icarus NZ. Some pictures of the JVX are attached...

http://www.icarusnz.com/jvx.mov (Video link)

[email protected]

Perhaps you should reconsider advertisement type threads for new products. We all like to know when new products will hit the market and how they will be desinged and what they will look like. People have been asking about the JVX for months.

"First off, the JVX has no stabilizers. Stabilizers on small HP canopies don't due much except flap in the wind causing added parasite drag."

Is true!, but without stabilizers I think that you have more prone for overstear, induced turns and spinning..., or no!!! ???

Roq

Now if only those pesky PD guys would quit winning everything......

They do win alot, because they are good at what they do, but they are far from winning everything.

Jim Slaton has won the 2004 US Nationals of Canopy Piloting flying the new JVX from Icarus NZ. Jim beat out 41 other competitors and took gold in the Speed event, Silver in the Accuracy event and Gold overall. Jim had 2nd place in distance going into the last round of the semi-finals but came up a little short to recieve a medal in every event! CJ Hartwig won the interediate class beating out 16 other competitors in the same events...

JC Colclasure, team member of Icarus Team Extreme, made an incredible swoop at the Dutch Swooping Tour competition at DZ Stadtlohn, swooping a distance of 132.85 mtr (435.86 ft.). There was only moderate cross-wind. There were 10 DST line judges and the FAI/IPC rated Chief Judge. The entry gates were to PST standard and equipped with the DST sensor system with 100% proof of passing the 5 ft. entry. Although Canopy Piloting is an official IPC discipline now there are no records added to Sporting Code section V yet. So, like Shannon Pilcher's 418ft record, JC's 435ft is the community record, reconized by the Pro Swooping Tour, until the IPC adds official record categories.

Jeff Provenzano has won the 2004 Ranch Pond Swoop meet in Gardiner, NY. Top prize....$5,000

The Ranch Pond Swoop meet took place August 20-22, 2004 and consisted of one water target round, two in lane swoop, two in lane carving swoop, canopy expression and a raft round. The 2004 meet had 44 of the world's best canopy pilots tempting the Princess of the Pond in Gardiner. In the end Jeffro Provenzano came out on top winning $5,000, Jonathan Tagle in 2nd and Andy Farrington in 3rd. The meet had some bad weather on Saturday but finished with a near perfect day on Sunday. Sweet job Jeffro, you deserve it man! More to follow...

Andy Farrington has won the 2nd Freestyle Open in Perris Valley, California. 34 PST qualified pilots competed in the event that took place following the US Nationals of Canopy Piloting. Shannon Pilcher took 2nd place and previous winner Jay Moledzski took 3rd. Click HERE to see the complete results...

----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

Nice advertisement.

You mean nice informative article w/ no dollar signs anywhere.

Even for you, the rules apply.

i think he follows them very well.

Send a check to Sangiro.

did he order a red star?

Now if only those pesky PD guys would quit winning everything......

hadn't noticed

me thinks treejumps is jealous of canopypiloting. or maybe it's envy. perhaps you would like to take a moment to thank canopypiloting for making the sport of swooping what it is today.

On Moderator request, Canopy Piloting (jim) has gone back and editted his original post(s) to meet the forum rules. There is no longer any reason to continue with the advertising line of discussion as it is a dead issue at this point.

Bottom line is that we have another manufacturer actively posting to the boards. This is a benefit to both parties and the rules apply to both as such and will be enforced by the forum moderator(s) as they see necessary.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

*** They do win alot, because they are good at what they do, but they are far from winning everything.

I know they don't win everything, and they would probably do it on whatever canopy they were flying. The real point here is that a low production run, highly esoteric canopy is not going to sell very well because it will not chnge even a highly experienced pilot's performance. Jim is one of the most experienced in the world, and yet these canopies have not rocketed him to any marked or measurable improvement in performance. If the guy who is selling them, had a hand in (re)designing them, and has thousands of jumps on the exact same or slightly similar canopies does not gain a measureable performance improvement, what would make anyone else think that there was something to it. If it can't improve performance it is just a nice marketing campaign. If it could improve performance, it would certainly show in competition results.

Overall, PD has the most winning canopy in competition. If this is not accurate, I apolagize, and will surely be corrected. Keep in mind that I fly and love my VX, but the numbers seem to point towards the Velo being the best canopy if you want to wiin competitions. Obviously the pilot makes it happen, and the performance gins of any new design would have to be signifincant to have an impact on the average highly skilled swooper.

The JVX also incorporates a new trim which is a serious upgrade from the VX. The new trim increases the rear riser pressure and has no slack in the D lines. This not only reduces tail flutter but provides a better platform for rear riser flying! In addition, the overall line length on the JVX is longer creating more time for the pilot to catch up with the canopy during a turn resulting in a longer dive.

From the third photo, it would appear that there isn't much of a differential trim either.

I know they don't win everything, and they would probably do it on whatever canopy they were flying. The real point here is that a low production run, highly esoteric canopy is not going to sell very well because it will not chnge even a highly experienced pilot's performance. Jim is one of the most experienced in the world, and yet these canopies have not rocketed him to any marked or measurable improvement in performance. If the guy who is selling them, had a hand in (re)designing them, and has thousands of jumps on the exact same or slightly similar canopies does not gain a measureable performance improvement, what would make anyone else think that there was something to it. If it can't improve performance it is just a nice marketing campaign. If it could improve performance, it would certainly show in competition results.

I disagree with you there, I think every little innovation is a powerful step toward a revolution. It doesn't need to be the discovery of electricity, just the longer lasting light bulb. Maybe the culmination of all of these little ideas will spur the next great one.

A
"Those who say it cannot be done, should not interrupt those who are doing it"

I also agree with you, but canopy development has been fraught with marketing ideas cloaked as "innovative developments". Is this really a new canopy? What percentage of it's planform does it share with the VX? A Xaos 27 is probably 85% VX planform. THe nose of the JVX looks an awful lot like other xbraces on the market. What makes it any better or any different? Longer lines? Different trim? The performance gains of very thin non-cascaded HMA vs the loss of performance due to the drag of all those extra lines seems to be a trade off. If its new and improved, we will find out for sure. For those who have been around a while (longer than me) a bit of skepticism is prudent thing when so called new skydiving products are touted by their salepeople.

YMMV

I also agree with you, but canopy development has been fraught with marketing ideas cloaked as "innovative developments". Is this really a new canopy? What percentage of it's planform does it share with the VX? A Xaos 27 is probably 85% VX planform. THe nose of the JVX looks an awful lot like other xbraces on the market. What makes it any better or any different? Longer lines? Different trim? The performance gains of very thin non-cascaded HMA vs the loss of performance due to the drag of all those extra lines seems to be a trade off. If its new and improved, we will find out for sure. For those who have been around a while (longer than me) a bit of skepticism is prudent thing when so called new skydiving products are touted by their salepeople.

That is one outlook. Salesmen sell, that is our job, we are always looking for the next thing to talk about that seperates our product from the next. It is the beauty of capitalism. As for the plan form not changing, once again I'll say i'm not an engineer. Just a sale guy. But, I do know that the plan form of a canopy is one small part of the whole. If you gave the same plan form to two engineers and said "build a canopy using this plan form" you would absolutely, and I mean absolutely, end up with two very different flying wings. One might see this "plan form" or canopy shape in a computer model, and only see a tandem, the other might look at the same drawing and see a swooping machine.

There are just so many factors that can be changed to improve, the flight of a canopy, or conversly deteriorate it.

-Trim angle
-cell number
-line type
-cross port placement, shape
-break line attachment points (number, placement, length of each point, which one pulls first or last in the break stroke)
-fabric type
-nose shape

and I'm sure I'm not listing even the top of the iceburg.

If any of these things, or combo are changed, you can dramatically change the flight performace of a canopy, or the opening, or the dive, or the flare.

The VX is a succesfull design, even if they just came out with one and said that through all their R&D, all they did is dramatically improved the openings, that in an of itself, without even claiming to increase flight performance might just be enough to make a good number of people decide to buy that design.

even if the changes don't turn out to change the swooping world, at least they are pushing the envelope, and they have also stimulated a pretty good conversation between you and I for the past couple of hours.

all in all I say good on 'em.
"Those who say it cannot be done, should not interrupt those who are doing it"

From the third photo, it would appear that there isn't much of a differential trim either.

how can you tell this from a picture???

Micrometer eyes! The JVX cells appear to scribe a smooth arc from side to side whereas the VX has the center cells pulled lower due to the center lines being shorter. See the attachment.