JohnMitchell

Leap for Lupus 2011

After a long year of fund raising, Valinda and I visited the Univ. of Washington earlier this month and presented them with a $20,000 check. This money will help fund their continuing research into causes of and cures for lupus, the auto immune disease that afflicts Vskydiver. Joining us at the presentation were Dr.'s Ledbetter, Elkon, and Hughes, all researchers at the U of W.

Thanks again to all of you who helped us achieve this, from everyone at the boogie, all the women on the state record jump to all you who bought raffle tickets from us.

And of course a huge thanks to all the manufacturers and suppliers who donated so generously to our raffle. Velocity Sports Equipment, United Parachute Technologies, Chuting Star, Larsen & Brusgaard, Alti-2, Vigil, Aerodyne, Body Sport, iFly Seattle, Hypoxic, Bonehead and Aerosports USA. You guys are the best. We couldn't do it without you.

Wishing all of you a safe and happy 2012. May we all have blue skies, great dives, long swoops and soft landings.

John and Valinda Mitchell

Congrats on raising that much money. Not only did you help raise a large amount to help with research, well doing so you educated hundreds and thousands of people about lupus (maybe more here).

Have a fantastic 2012!!:)

TPM Sister#130ONTIG#1
I love vodka.I love vodka cause it rhymes with Tuaca~LisaH
You having a clean thought is like billyvance having a clean post.iluvtofly

B| It's amazing what you guys have turned this event and foundation into in just a few short years.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

I am so impressed with your familiy's commitment to your cause; it's a loving tribute to how much Val means to your lives that you'll all work so hard to find a cure for her and others like her. I hope the University uses the money wisely and finds a "Eureka!" moment this year. B|

She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

After a long year of fund raising, Valinda and I visited the Univ. of Washington earlier this month and presented them with a $20,000 check. This money will help fund their continuing research into causes of and cures for lupus, the auto immune disease that afflicts Vskydiver. Joining us at the presentation were Dr.'s Ledbetter, Elkon, and Hughes, all researchers at the U of W.

Thanks again to all of you who helped us achieve this, from everyone at the boogie, all the women on the state record jump to all you who bought raffle tickets from us.

And of course a huge thanks to all the manufacturers and suppliers who donated so generously to our raffle. Velocity Sports Equipment, United Parachute Technologies, Chuting Star, Larsen & Brusgaard, Alti-2, Vigil, Aerodyne, Body Sport, iFly Seattle, Hypoxic, Bonehead and Aerosports USA. You guys are the best. We couldn't do it without you.

Wishing all of you a safe and happy 2012. May we all have blue skies, great dives, long swoops and soft landings.

John and Valinda Mitchell

During the '80s it typically cost $250,000/year to keep my sister on the green side of the sod.

The Lupus has been in remission since the early '90s, and she had some good years. She married, had twins, and generally concluded that she was on to bigger and better things.

Unfortunately, the battle with the disease took its toll. She has an aftermarket hip and two shoulders, fused wrists, and ankles and her heart and kidneys were compromised by chronic myocarditis and nephritis.

A couple of years ago, after being given an antibiotic to which she had an adverse reaction, her kidneys gave out and she suffered a heart attack brought on - and masked - by all the treatments.

On dialysis now, she is recovering from the third go-around of hip replacement (they do not last forever).

The point to all this is that Lupus is truly bad juju, and any progress that can be made to keep others from going through what Andrea has is a good thing.

The principle that what does not kill me only makes me stronger makes for a clever saying, but is way wrong in practice.

BSBD,

Winsor

The principle that what does not kill me only makes me stronger makes for a clever saying, but is way wrong in practice.

Sorry to hear about how rough a time your sister has had. [:/] Yes, when we first heard about lupus in the late 80's we had NO clue as to what it was and what it could do. Progress is being made, but not fast enough. I can barely imagine the daily pain your sister lives with. Thanks for sharing her story.