SpeedRacer

Old, abandoned websites

Every once in a while I come across old websites whose owners have clearly abandoned them. They're still out there, adrift on the Web like floating hulks of ghost ships. Many of their links are broken, and the final posts are over five years old.

Will their URLs ever be recycled?

Whoever set them up has moved on to other things and forgotten about them. I wonder if 50 or a hundred years from now they'll still be finding these ancient cyber-wrecks. And will it spawn a new form of archeology.
Speed Racer
--------------------------------------------------

Websites being hosted on the servers of internet service providers, can be forgotten. But for websites that were not hosted on someone else's hardware, if you make a request to a website and it responds, there is a server running and it has not been forgotten since someone is paying for the electricity to keep the server online. Now broken URLs are a different can of worms and yes cleaning those up would take some effort.

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

first one which comes to mind is skydivingmovies.com :(

YouTube has made many sites such as skydivingmovies.com redundant.
Of course skydivingmovies.com was good for two reasons.

1) You could search for videos in specific disciplines.
2) Much less likely to have the music censored due to copyright issues.

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

Or closed down dropzone web sites.

http://www.blueskyadventures.com/original.html

I was there when they shut there doors after the last harvest moon boogie 6 years ago.

You would think that there would be a lot of companies out there fighting for that name and web address. I wonder how they have managed to hold on to it all this time?
"There is an art, it says, or, rather, a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss."
Life, the Universe, and Everything

Or closed down dropzone web sites.

http://www.blueskyadventures.com/original.html

I was there when they shut there doors after the last harvest moon boogie 6 years ago.

You would think that there would be a lot of companies out there fighting for that name and web address. I wonder how they have managed to hold on to it all this time?

Registrant:
Dickinson, Edward
Dickinson
26100 Newport A12-30
Menifee, CA 92584
US

Domain Name: BLUESKYADVENTURES.COM

Administrative Contact, Technical Contact:
Dickinson, Edward
Dickinson
26100 Newport A12-30
Menifee, CA 92584
US
951-442-4325 fax: (843) 563-6028

Record expires on 10-Feb-2013.
Record created on 10-Feb-2000.

Domain servers in listed order:

NS1.IBSS.NET 66.49.75.50
NS2.IBSS.NET 209.59.18.28
"Where troubles melt like lemon drops, away above the chimney tops, that's where you'll find me" Dorothy

Every once in a while I come across old websites whose owners have clearly abandoned them. They're still out there, adrift on the Web like floating hulks of ghost ships. Many of their links are broken, and the final posts are over five years old.

Whoever set them up has moved on to other things and forgotten about them. I wonder if 50 or a hundred years from now they'll still be finding these ancient cyber-wrecks. And will it spawn a new form of archeology.

This may be a bit to the side of what you are talking about, but I've found that there's a bunch of companies, most of them are what I consider to be rogue companies, are buying up the domains and trying to resell them for greatly inflated prices.
For example, I had a domain that was used for a local race track that I did the site for, then due to the river washing out a side of the facility, the track was forced to close, so the decision was made to let the site and domain go rather than to renew it. Then, at just about the time the domain expired, I started receiving emails from companies that were trying to resell me the domain that I was letting go of. The problem with this is that I bought it from Godaddy for like $10, and these fools were trying to sell it back to me for over $250, and one email claimed a price of $595! Unbelievable!
I don't know if it's some kinda black market situation or what, but if anyone get's contacted by these companies, delete the email! It's a scam!
Refuse to Lose!!!
Failure is NOT an option!
1800skyrideripoff.com
Nashvilleskydiving.org

This may be a bit to the side of what you are talking about, but I've found that there's a bunch of companies, most of them are what I consider to be rogue companies, are buying up the domains and trying to resell them for greatly inflated prices.
For example, I had a domain that was used for a local race track that I did the site for, then due to the river washing out a side of the facility, the track was forced to close, so the decision was made to let the site and domain go rather than to renew it. Then, at just about the time the domain expired, I started receiving emails from companies that were trying to resell me the domain that I was letting go of. The problem with this is that I bought it from Godaddy for like $10, and these fools were trying to sell it back to me for over $250, and one email claimed a price of $595! Unbelievable!
I don't know if it's some kinda black market situation or what, but if anyone get's contacted by these companies, delete the email! It's a scam!

It's not a scam. It is an opportunistic group that hopes to make a profit from somebody that possibly hasn't kept up with their recordkeeping and allowed their domain name to expire. It only costs them $10 to snap it up and they may get lucky with 1 out of 50 grabs.

A scam would be if they sold you a domain name they hold (or maybe don't hold) but don't deliver.
"For you see, an airplane is an airplane. A landing area is a landing area. But a dropzone... a dropzone is the people."

It's not a scam. It is an opportunistic group that hopes to make a profit from somebody that possibly hasn't kept up with their recordkeeping and allowed their domain name to expire. It only costs them $10 to snap it up and they may get lucky with 1 out of 50 grabs.

A scam would be if they sold you a domain name they hold (or maybe don't hold) but don't deliver.

It's called "cybersquatting."

Wiki Clicky
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

two words:(and an emoticon)
Sangiro's Snyergy:D
My photos

My Videos

on a lot of Forums, some i have left some, some i think are to inward looking even a mod on one :D:D.

Over the years i have been on a number of urban exploring websites, which have basically collapsed. After perhaps a year or more taking all my reports on building/sites history, architectural features of interest and so forth with them into the abiss[:/].

yes i can redo these reports and have a few times the photographs survive as they are backed up and hosted elsewhere. Its got to the stage where i no longer Join new sites, even when invited onto a number of them. I still explore and still speak to other explores in Scotland the rest of the UK and Europe. having helped Visiting explores from Belgium, Germany Poland,Ireland and other nationalities visiting to my country to see things that interest them.

Me i will disappear into the sunset and be forgotten but it doesn't mean i won't be exploring and finding new interesting stuff. just it wont be posted.

As me and some friends have found most forums last a couple of years, so count yourself lucky you have this place that has been around quite some time B|

Billy-Sonic Haggis Flickr-Fun

I found a broken link and forgoten part of this very own site!

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/dropzone/finder.cgi?search=addr&lat=35.96022296929667&lng=-84.00146484375&rad=100

the Skydive Smoky Mountains is no longer at that location, or so i was told when i stoped in to visit Skydive East Tennessee. They said it moved like several years ago....

:o

Cheers

Jon W

You feel a worm inside? Doctor can probably sort that for you. ;)

There is something a little sad about abandoned websites that were once the owners' pride and joy.

Same with blogs - if you just flick through a few randomly (Blogger gives you that option) it's surprising how short-lived many of them were. Often there'll just be a single post from years back, and I wonder why. Did the author realise after that first, hopeful entry that there was actually nothing in his/ her life worth writing about? I guess if that's the case, then we should be grateful. There are many thousands more who just carry on regardless! :D

This webpage brings back memories. One of the oldest essentially-unmodified webpages on the Internet that's still at its original web address (19-year old web address, containing a 19-year old HTML document file!)

1993 - What's New (NCSA Mosiac Web Browser)
http://home.mcom.com/home/whatsnew/whats_new_0693.html

19 years ago! I tried out that web browser 19 years ago at University of Waterloo on an X-Terminal.