skymama

Forget the NFL, who's excited about College Football?

Well, the big week is finally here! The first 8 games were merely the preseason, at least for Alabama and LSU. The latest "game of the century" is on the horizon now. #1 LSU visits #2 Alabama for the right to continue pursuing post-season glory, more specifically, SEC and National Championships. Some are saying this IS the national championship because nobody else is likely as good as these two teams are. And no, we do not need a rematch in the BCS title game should this game go down the wire. Though you never know. It hasn't happened yet.

One interesting fact I read this morning in the newspaper: Alabama head coach Nick Saban (Satan to LSU fans) has won 12 revenge games in a row. You know what this means. Whoever beat a Saban-coached team, got the hell beat out of them in the next meeting by a Saban-coached team. This streak goes all the way back to 2000 when he was at LSU.

It is going to be a slobberknocker. No other game matters this weekend. Roll Damn Tide!! :)

Mo money will decide if there will be a rematch.:D

Well, if that was the case, then Michigan could have had a good argument for a rematch with Ohio State in '06. Instead, Ohio State got Florida and the Gators put a whupping on them.

LSU was lucky they played Tennessee and not Georgia in the 2007 SEC championship game. Georgia turned out to be the best playing team late that season. Nobody could stop them, however early losses to SC and TN meant TN won the division. Georgia finished #2 in the final BCS standings behind national champ LSU.

I think there's a good bet we'll see both LSU and Alabama #1 and #2 in the final BCS standings after this season. The order will simply be decided this Saturday. ;)
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

I got to see my brother on ESPN last night kick some Colorado Buffalo behind.

Everyone is kicking the Buffs @$$ these days. As a Buffs fan (only because I used to live in Boulder for four years and occasionally attended some of their games) this makes me sad. However I must assume your bro plays for USC? He must be pretty good to make that squad.

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

I am so excited for this game tonight! B|

Your alma mater--LSU--and mine--Stanford--still both undefeated!!
"It's hard to have fun at 4-way unless your whole team gets down to the ground safely to do it again!"--Northern California Skydiving League re USPA Safety Day, March 8, 2014

My pick.:)LSU 33 ---Alabama 30

Same margin of victory, a LOT fewer points scored.

Damn... NO TDs scored, even with overtime. Last time a #1 vs #2 game ended with no TDs scored was 1946.

And Bama has only dropped one place to #3 in the BCS. Can you say rematch? :P

Bama outgained LSU. Threw the ball good. Couldn't get a lot of yards rushing. LSU's Defense bent a little. Didn't break. Bama's Defense didn't bend much at all, until the overtime period. [:/]

Outstanding defensive game. The outcome isn't what I wanted, but I can't complain. If the cards fall Bama's way and they take care of the rest of their schedule, and Oklahoma beats Oklahoma State, and Oregon knocks off Stanford, you're likely going to see a rematch in the BCS title game, depending on how the strength of schedules of the top 5 or 6 teams change over the next 4 weeks.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Damn... NO TDs scored, even with overtime. .....

Gators scored 10 points vs Bama including a TD! LSU only scored 9 against them and couldn't get into the end zone. Gators scored 11 points vs LSU including a TD. Alabama only scored 6 points and they couldn't get into the end zone, either. :):D (I'll take solace wherever I can get it this year even if I have to twist results.:P) Great game, though! Deserving of a rematch?

My pick.:)LSU 33 ---Alabama 30

Same margin of victory, a LOT fewer points scored.

Damn... NO TDs scored, even with overtime. Last time a #1 vs #2 game ended with no TDs scored was 1946.

And Bama has only dropped one place to #3 in the BCS. Can you say rematch? :P

Bama outgained LSU. Threw the ball good. Couldn't get a lot of yards rushing. LSU's Defense bent a little. Didn't break. Bama's Defense didn't bend much at all, until the overtime period. [:/]

Outstanding defensive game. The outcome isn't what I wanted, but I can't complain. If the cards fall Bama's way and they take care of the rest of their schedule, and Oklahoma beats Oklahoma State, and Oregon knocks off Stanford, you're likely going to see a rematch in the BCS title game, depending on how the strength of schedules of the top 5 or 6 teams change over the next 4 weeks.

Definitely an interesting game.

It really didn't come down to who was better, it came down to who was going to make a mistake to create an opportunity for the other team. That's what happened, and I'm glad it was in LSU's favor! B| I'd be happy to see them together again in the championship game. Two great teams, they both deseve a shot at the Title.

She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

It really didn't come down to who was better, it came down to who was going to make a mistake to create an opportunity for the other team. That's what happened, and I'm glad it was in LSU's favor! B| I'd be happy to see them together again in the championship game. Two great teams, they both deseve a shot at the Title.

Exactly right. Bama made the mistakes. That interception at the 1 yard line thrown by Maze on the trick play really hurt. You can't float passes against that defense. And again in overtime Bama lost 10 yards, forcing an unmakeable 52 yard FG...

A rematch is deserving too. :)

Anybody been watching the sordid scandal unfolding at Penn State?? Holy shit, that program has been the most squeaky clean in the NCAA the last 40+ years, and then the unthinkable happens...

Jerry Sandusky, what the holy hell were you thinking, you fucking child rapist!?! >:(

What's worse is after he was seen banging a kid in the shower room, it was reported to Joe Paterno the next day, who then told his superiors, and the cover-up was on. If it was me who witnessed the shower scene, I'd have taken a football helmet and whacked Jerry in the ear with it right there and then. :|

Are you fucking kidding me???? #2 Oklahoma State lost to Iowa State 37-31 in 2OT???? IOWA STATE?!?!?

That may be the biggest choke job of the season. :S

That clears the way for Alabama to move back to #2, however.... Georgia Southern isn't going to do jack shit for Bama's strength of schedule, especially not when #4 Oregon plays USC today. I don't know... I'll have to look up Oregon's schedule and see how it compares to Alabama's, but I do believe Alabama has the tougher schedule. Oregon will likely get the benefit of an extra game via the PAC 12 title game, but the PAC 12 South champion isn't going to be much better than Auburn.

If Oklahoma State recovers and beats the Sooners, then that should eliminate both Oklahoma schools from the national title discussion.

Now if USC finds a way to shock Oregon (not likely with the game being at Oregon), then Alabama is for sure a lock for the BCS title game as long as they win out. What the Tide has done on defense so far hasn't been done since Oklahoma in 1986. Imagine that. That was the year the Sooners had Brian Bosworth.

Other less likely possibilities are: suppose Arkansas knocks off LSU? Then you have a three-way tie for the SEC West Division champion with 7-1 records. The tie-breaker will be whoever is the highest ranked in the BCS, but if LSU ends up no lower than 6th with Alabama at #1, then LSU goes to Atlanta to play in the SEC title game, but the rules didn't account for Arkansas being ranked between Alabama and LSU so I don't know for sure what the hell would happen. :S I don't think Arkansas can beat LSU. Alabama beat the hell out of the Hogs 38-14 in week #4.

I'm not sure just how well Georgia is playing, though they beat the hell out of Auburn 45-7, and barely squeaked by Vanderbilt. They haven't lost since starting the year 0-2. The Dawgs do sport the nation's #4 defense and QB Aaron Murray is the best in the SEC. They could potentially give LSU a tough game.

Still lots of football left to play, but the Cowboys, oh man.... Choke Job! :D

Are you fucking kidding me???? #2 Oklahoma State lost to Iowa State 37-31 in 2OT???? IOWA STATE?!?!?

I don't think Arkansas can beat LSU. Alabama beat the hell out of the Hogs 38-14 in week #4.
-------------------------------------------------------

In my years of watching college football many times I could say the same statements but just change the names of the teams.:D

It takes an awfull lot to surprise me these day.:o

I don't think Arkansas can beat LSU. Alabama beat the hell out of the Hogs 38-14 in week #4.
-------------------------------------------------------

In my years of watching college football many times I could say the same statements but just change the names of the teams.:D

It takes an awfull lot to surprise me these day.:o

Hey, I don't think Arkansas can beat LSU either, but stranger things have happened.

Look at today! 4 of the top 7 teams all lost games they should have won! Today was the craziest most fucked up day I have ever seen in college football in a long time! #2 Oklahoma State lost to Iowa State in two overtimes, #4 Oregon lost at home to Southern Cal on a shanked FG attempt, #5 Oklahoma lost at Baylor in the final seconds and #7 Clemson got blown out at North Carolina State.

All the teams that Alabama needed to lose, lost. Probably only needed Oklahoma State to lose though but the other games were a bonus.

Tomorrow, the BCS rankings will most likely show

#1 LSU (#1 last week)
#2 Alabama (#3 last week)
#3 Arkansas (#6 last week)
#4 Virginia Tech (#8 last week)

How sick is that? Three SEC West teams ranked 1 2 3? Although the Big Eight had 3 teams finish the 1971 season 1 2 3 (Nebraska, Oklahoma, Colorado), they didn't have divisions back then or play as many conference games as we do now.

Here's a scenario: on the off chance that Arkansas shocks LSU in the final seconds or minute this coming weekend, and Alabama takes care of business at Auburn, LSU may only drop to 3rd with Alabama taking over the top spot and Arkansas moving to 2nd. Now that would be fucked up and the SEC is going to have a bitch of a time figuring out who goes to the SEC title game, though the tie-breaker would still favor LSU. Now keeping with this scenario, LSU whips Georgia for the SEC Championship, do they stay #3, or will they jump Arkansas back to #2? Holy fuck, I don't know what to say. :S:D

I still prefer Alabama to get a rematch with LSU for the BCS title game, however there is the off-chance it could be a Tide-Razorback rematch, and I would be okay with that too. :)
Edited to add: all that said, Alabama pissed me off with their performance against Georgia Southern, a fucking FCS school. GS scored 3 TDs: a 82 yard TD run, a 40 yard TD pass (their only pass completion of the game) and a 95 yard kickoff return for a TD. Their triple option game is wicked good and I'm going to guess Alabama hadn't seen it in years or the team just wasn't motivated to shut them down. They ran for 299 yards against a defense that was allowing a nation-best 51 yards per game. Yeah Alabama still won 45-21, but those 21 points pissed me off. Hopefully that was Alabama's wake up call. Now lets put our "never again" mantra to use on Auburn and beat the HELL out of them!!! :)

I just reviewed the SEC division tie-breaker rules. If Arkansas beats LSU and Alabama beats Auburn, and we end up with a 3 way tie between Alabama, Arkansas and LSU, then the tie-breaker between the top two ranked BCS teams is used. The 3rd ranked SEC team (LSU) would then be hosed and Alabama would win the head-to-head over Arkansas and go on to face Georgia in Atlanta.

Now if Arkansas had been ranked down somewhere like 9th or 10th and beat LSU by a hair, odds are LSU won't end up ranked behind Arkansas and the tie breaker would be between Alabama and LSU as long as they were separated by no more than 5 spots in the rankings. However, in reality, Arkansas is likely going to be 3rd in the rankings and simply beating LSU is going to knock the Tigers out of the SEC title game.

The sports writers are probably going to debate this issue to death all week. :D LSU and Alabama's jobs are simple. Win out and you have your rematch in New Orleans.

As expected, LSU, Alabama and Arkansas are ranked 1 2 3 in the new AP and Coaches polls. Stanford got a big jump to 4 as well. Oklahoma State dropped to 5. :)

With Oregon's and Oklahoma's losses yesterday it is interesting how the top three teams in the nation now belong not only to the SEC, but more importantly to the SEC West. What happens if Arkansas was to beat LSU while Alabama wins against Auburn? That would leave all three teams at 11-1 overall and all three teams at 7-1 in the SEC. Who gets the nod into the SEC championship game? and then having to play an extra game could destroy a National Championship bid if they were to lose the SEC Championship game. One thing I could never understand was why some conferences play the extra conference championship games while other conferences don't play these games. NCAA has always been confusing when it comes to selecting a champion, but I am not sure a playoff system would even work in this scenario where three teams from one division in a conference could possibly be tied at the end of the regular season.

Of course LSU could make things easier if they just beat Arkansas and then beat Georgia or South Carolina in the SEC Championship game. Then at least one of the teams in the National Championship final would be a no brainer.

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

I just reviewed the SEC division tie-breaker rules. If Arkansas beats LSU and Alabama beats Auburn, and we end up with a 3 way tie between Alabama, Arkansas and LSU, then the tie-breaker between the top two ranked BCS teams is used. The 3rd ranked SEC team (LSU) would then be hosed and Alabama would win the head-to-head over Arkansas and go on to face Georgia in Atlanta.

Now if Arkansas had been ranked down somewhere like 9th or 10th and beat LSU by a hair, odds are LSU won't end up ranked behind Arkansas and the tie breaker would be between Alabama and LSU as long as they were separated by no more than 5 spots in the rankings. However, in reality, Arkansas is likely going to be 3rd in the rankings and simply beating LSU is going to knock the Tigers out of the SEC title game.

Look at this scenario: LSU loses to Arkansas, new poll ends up #1 Alabama, #2 Arkansas #3 LSU. Tie breaker goes to Alabama because top ranked BCS team goes to SEC Championship unless #2 ranked SEC team is within 5 rankings of #1 team, then those two teams head to head is tie-breaker, which is Alabama.

Alabama plays Georgia in the SEC Championship game and by some grace of God Georgia wins that game. National Championship game is either going to be Arkansas v. LSU or Arkansas v. Va. Tech.

Thoughts?
--------------------------------------------------
Failure to prepare is preparing to fail

Look at this scenario: LSU loses to Arkansas, new poll ends up #1 Alabama, #2 Arkansas #3 LSU. Tie breaker goes to Alabama because top ranked BCS team goes to SEC Championship unless #2 ranked SEC team is within 5 rankings of #1 team, then those two teams head to head is tie-breaker, which is Alabama.

Alabama plays Georgia in the SEC Championship game and by some grace of God Georgia wins that game. National Championship game is either going to be Arkansas v. LSU or Arkansas v. Va. Tech.

Thoughts?

That is a possibility, but the BCS poll came out and put Oklahoma State at #4.

There's a lot of football left to be played.

And the BCS Championship Title rematch between LSU and Alabama is almost a foregone conclusion. :)
It would take a monumental collapse by Oklahoma or LSU for Oklahoma State to even have a chance of nabbing one of the top two spots.

The comparisons between LSU and Alabama against common opponents is amazing!

Against Mississippi State: Score and (differential)
LSU: 19-6 (13 points)
Alabama: 24-7 (17 points)

Florida:
LSU: 41-11 (30 points)
Alabama: 38-10 (28 points)

Tennessee:
LSU: 38-7 (31 points)
Alabama: 37-6 (31 points)

Ole Miss:
LSU: 52-3 (49 points)
Alabama: 52-7 (45 points)

Arkansas
LSU: 41-17 (24 points)
Alabama: 38-14 (24 points)

Auburn
LSU: 45-10 (35 points)
Alabama: 42-14 (28 points)

Total score for LSU: 236-54
Total score for Alabama: 231-58

LSU and Alabama head to head:
LSU: 9
Alabama: 6 in Overtime

Bring on the rematch bitches!!! B|

And oh yeah, Trent Richardson for the Heisman! :)