JerryBaumchen

Factoids

Hi folks,

Believe at your own risk:

More than half of the coastline of the entire United States is in Alaska .

Brazil got its name from the nut, not the other way around.

Canada has more lakes than the rest of the world combined. Canada is an Indian word meaning ' Big Village '.

Next to Warsaw , Chicago has the largest Polish population in the world.

Woodward Avenue in Detroit , Michigan , carries the designation M-1. So named because it was the first paved road anywhere.

Damascus, Syria, was flourishing a couple of thousand years before Rome was founded in 753 BC
making it the oldest continuously inhabited city in existence.

The full name of Los Angeles is: El Pueblo de Nuestra Senora la Reina de Los Angeles de Porciuncula -- and can be abbreviated to 3.63% of its size: L.A.

There are no natural lakes in the state of Ohio . . . every one is man-made.

The first city to reach a population of 1 million people was Rome , Italy (in 133 B.C.)
There is a city called Rome on every continent.

The actual smallest sovereign entity in the world is the Sovereign Military Order of Malta (S.M.O.M).
It is located in the city of Rome , Italy , and has an area of two tennis courts. And, as of 2001, has a population of 80 -- 20 less people than the Vatican . It is a sovereign entity under international law,
just as the Vatican is.

Spain literally means 'the land of rabbits'.

The Eisenhower interstate system requires that one mile in every five must be straight. These straight sections are usable as airstrips in times of war or other emergencies.

:)

JerryBaumchen

Canada has more lakes than the rest of the world combined. Canada is an Indian word meaning ' Big Village '.

You sure about that ?

From Wikipedia :

The number of lakes larger than three square kilometres is estimated at close to 31,752 by the Atlas of Canada

There are 187,888 lakes in Finland

Your rights end where my feelings begin.

You sure about that ?

From Wikipedia :

The number of lakes larger than three square kilometres is estimated at close to 31,752 by the Atlas of Canada

There are 187,888 lakes in Finland

You sure about that?

"Finland is a country of thousands of lakes and islands – 187,888 lakes (larger than 500 m2/0.12 acre)"

Calling a pond ( that is an 1/8 acre) a lake is stretching it.

Apples and oranges. :P
lisa
WSCR 594
FB 1023
CBDB 9

The Eisenhower interstate system requires that one mile in every five must be straight. These straight sections are usable as airstrips in times of war or other emergencies.

This one is completely untrue.
http://www.snopes.com/autos/law/airstrip.asp

There are no natural lakes in the state of Ohio . . . every one is man-made.

Unless, of course, you count Lake Erie. ;)
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

Next to Warsaw , Chicago has the largest Polish population in the world.

Gotcha! That's an oft-repeated figure based on the 1960 Census. Heard it many times while serving time as an Upstate New Yorker (Buffalo area also has huge Polish population). But NYC's contingent surpassed Chicago's by about 3,000 people in the 2000 Census.

Here are some factoids....;)

A higher I.Q. equals more dreams: The smarter you are, the more you dream. A high I.Q. can also fight mental illness. Some people even believe they are smarter in their dreams than when they are awake.

Women might be intrinsically bi: There are sex studies that indicate that women might bisexual intrinsically, no matter how they class themselves, while men are usually either gay or straight.
Memory is affected by body position: Where you are and how you are placed in your environment triggers memory.

Being right-handed can prolong your life: If you’re right-handed, you could live up to nine years longer than a lefty.

Chewing gum while peeling onions will keep you from crying.
An average American will spend an average of 6 months during his lifetime waiting at red lights.

23% of employees say they have had sex in the office.

85% of the men who cheat on their wives die while having sex.

The ant, when intoxicated, will always fall over to its right side

There is a bar in London that sells vaporized vodka, which is inhaled instead of sipped.

The winter of 1932 was so cold that Niagara Falls froze completely solid.

The chicken is one of the few things that man eats before it's born and after it's dead.

If you hook Jell-O up to an EEG, it registers movements almost identical to a human adult's brain waves.

The thong accounts for 25% of the United States women's underwear market.

Hostess Twinkies were originally filled with banana filling. The filling was changed during World War II when the United States experienced a banana shortage.

John Quincy Adams, sixth president of the United States, loved to skinny dip in the Potomac River

Dz.commers could careless about factoids unless the word or pictures of boobies are part of it...:P

TPM Sister#130ONTIG#1
I love vodka.I love vodka cause it rhymes with Tuaca~LisaH
You having a clean thought is like billyvance having a clean post.iluvtofly

now while posting a link to a website debunking facts is cool and all, it is really no more than one other person's opinion as i saw no references to the information appearing there.

i have read before that there has to be at least one curve every five miles, reason being that eisenhower (or whoever, it's been a while) thought that people would become distracted or fall asleep after miles of straight road, particularly out west. unfortunately, it was from a history channel documentary on the interstate system and i cannot provide documentation of this.

it feels right, however and i choose to believe this rather than the link in your post. after all, just because a study shows something or someone posts it on a website, does not make it true, no matter how many people believe it. something i like to keep in mind when people ask for references to something being posted here, or when it is said that one source or another is not believable.

case in point, numerous references to a hacker named "OxOmar" in this link from the bbc. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-16456100
his name is "0xOmar" a reference to hex code hackers are very familiar with. http://www.canada.com/news/Saudi+hacker+targets+Israel+with+Trojan+horse+virus/5957243/story.html
http://kitswv.com

Only a small percentage of DZ Bums actually get laid.

Visits to the emergency room will cost you an arm and a leg.

Tinfoil hats used to keep out harmful rays also prevent harmful rays from escaping.

"Pull my finger" is a standard greeting from redneck uncles.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

67.3% of all statistics are made up.
This is why you can't beleive everything on the internet. That's how World War I started.
Most of the things worth doing in the world had been declared impossilbe before they were done.
Louis D Brandeis

Where are we going and why are we in this basket?

No belief, no risk. Among other things, Brazil was most emphatically not named for the nut. And in Brazil, it´s not even known as the Brazil nut.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

67.3% of all statistics are made up.
This is why you can't beleive everything on the internet. That's how World War I started.

Statistics don't exist unless someone makes them up! We do, however, have a set of statistics that weren't actually made up by someone - they're collectively called "Evolution"!

So, did the internet start WW I? Or are you thinking of the embellished newspaper reporting that started the Spanish-American War?

WW I started when a car in a motorcade made a wrong turn in Sarejevo.
It's all been said before, no sense repeating it here.

>>23% of employees say they have had sex in the office.

Yeah, and 75% of them are lying. :D

>> 85% of the men who cheat on their wives die while having sex.

Actually (according to the viral blogosphere), it's 85% of men who die while having sex are cheating on their wives.

Being right-handed can prolong your life: If you’re right-handed, you could live up to nine years longer than a lefty.

Oh no, I'm doomed. DOOMED I tells ya....

I wouldn't have thought Homer would outlive Ned....
My computer beat me at chess, It was no match for me at kickboxing....

No belief, no risk. Among other things, Brazil was most emphatically not named for the nut. And in Brazil, it´s not even known as the Brazil nut.

Wendy P.

The Brazil nut is not technically a “nut” but rather a seed.

The Brazil nut is also not viable as a commercial crop because of the specific requirements of the ecosystem. Only a certain kind of bee can pollinate it, and it needs a certain orchid to attract the bee. Thus, Brazil nuts are collected.

Brazil nuts are among the most radioactive foods out there. They have a high level of radium, and shipments routinely set of radiation detectors.

My wife is hotter than your wife.