Andy9o8

Bright 13 year old Designs Novel Solar Array

I applause the kid's intellectual curiosity.

I am saddened he doesn't seem to be able to articulate what the advantages might actually be; a smoothing out of the power gathered over the course of the day.

Whereas a normal fixed solar panel array has a definite peak, his arrangement would provide for a more consistent amount of power from sun up to sun down.

Is it more efficient compared to the normal configuration's peak? No way.

Is that more efficient over the course of the entire day? Maybe.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

Smart kid!

Well, sure, to you it probably seems like magic what with him being able to actually figure out how many solar panels make a watt. ;)

neh meh meh
I was asking how many solar cells you would need to hit 1,000kW/h
Way more complex :P
Life through good thoughts, good words, and good deeds is necessary to ensure happiness and to keep chaos at bay.

The only thing that falls from the sky is birdshit and fools!

>I was asking how many solar cells you would need to hit 1,000kW/h

How many horsepower do you need to get to Vegas?

One. Be sure to take plenty of water and grain.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

Smart kid!
WOW some people really hate green energy!

No such thing as green power in an atmosphere, like here. In order to make up for "free" solar's lack of reliability issues the fossil burners have to be on in spinning reserve mode to back it up just in case a cloud happens. The fossil burners are not efficient ( or clean) at lower loads. Think running your cars engine in second gear until 4th ,5th and 6th are required to get you there.

Don't even get me going on how "green" windmills horizon to horizon are. If you are worth your salt as a mechanical engineer you can figure a lot of machinery requiring huge maintenance for very little actual generation spread across a huge landscape " oh how natuaral"

Smart kid!
WOW some people really hate green energy!

No such thing as green power in an atmosphere, like here. In order to make up for "free" solar's lack of reliability issues the fossil burners have to be on in spinning reserve mode to back it up just in case a cloud happens. The fossil burners are not efficient ( or clean) at lower loads. Think running your cars engine in second gear until 4th ,5th and 6th are required to get you there.

Don't even get me going on how "green" windmills horizon to horizon are. If you are worth your salt as a mechanical engineer you can figure a lot of machinery requiring huge maintenance for very little actual generation spread across a huge landscape " oh how natuaral"

You can back them up with nukes. Although I do agree that windmills are mostly a scam supported by tax payer money and the only real 'green' energy tech is nukes.
Your rights end where my feelings begin.

You can back them up with nukes. Although I do agree that windmills are mostly a scam supported by tax payer money and the only real 'green' energy tech is nukes.

You could in theory but the nuke operators don't like to swing their units. They like to bring them up and base load them without upsets. There is nothing green about huge stock piles of low grade spent fuel nobody wants to dispose of. Geo thermal and hydro are as close as you can get but very location limited until somebody perfects the free gravitron beams.

.....There is nothing green about huge stock piles of low grade spent fuel nobody wants to dispose of.

Wait a minute...doesn't uranium radiate with a soft, touchy-feely green glow? Does that qualify for green energy?

Wait a minute...doesn't uranium radiate with a soft, touchy-feely green glow? Does that qualify for green energy?

You're thinking of Gamma Rays, courtesy of Marvel Comics. They also turn you into a large, muscular but mildly stupid superhuman.
Trapped on the surface of a sphere. XKCD

Ahhhh....funny how a brain picks out random stuff and applies new thoughts to it. Short circuit in the memory banks.

(there we go again....I first typed "mammary" banks.)

Unasked for advice: Never get old.
:D:D:D