Andy9o8

Why would anyone bungee-jump off a perfectly good bridge?

Spoken like a true whuffo....

Although when the bungee breaks at full stretch like that, the jumper is going quite slowly, so effectively hits the water at the same speed a high diver would.

Not that life threatening, but swimming with metres of bungy cord attached, and fighting off the crocs at the same time would make it a tad difficult....

Bungy jumping is pretty boring after skydiving though, its over too quickly.
My computer beat me at chess, It was no match for me at kickboxing....

Spoken like a true whuffo....

Although when the bungee breaks at full stretch like that, the jumper is going quite slowly, so effectively hits the water at the same speed a high diver would.

Not that life threatening, but swimming with metres of bungy cord attached, and fighting off the crocs at the same time would make it a tad difficult....

Did you actually watch the video?

She had about a 3 second freefall after the bungee broke! Did you see her injuries? That girl is lucky to be alive three times over; crocodiles not withstanding!
It's all been said before, no sense repeating it here.

Yes.

Most bungy jumps over water result in the bungy being at full stretch just above the water, resulting in the jumper effectively stopping completely for a nanosecond before they rebound. Bungies are calibrated and the operators can easily allow you to touch with your fingertips or more.

(Often they'll ask the question: Elbows?, Waist?, Ankles?) They can dip you in precisely....

She had about a 3 second freefall after the bungee broke! Did you see her injuries?

A few bruises from the water slap....She was able to smile about it afterwards, indicating she was not badly hurt.

Someone at the bungy site needs a kick in the arse though, poor maintenance. Most bungy cords are retired from service way before they need to be as a matter of policy. Never seen one snap like that.

Not a good idea to bungy in a 3rd world country though. I saw one operation in Indonesia, with the crew made up entirely of kids about 13 years old, in fact I saw no adults on the site at all. The gear looked pretty shabby to me...

Go somewhere where you know the place will be regulated to high safety standards.

Yes.

Most bungy jumps over water result in the bungy being at full stretch just above the water, resulting in the jumper effectively stopping completely for a nanosecond before they rebound. Bungies are calibrated and the operators can easily allow you to touch with your fingertips or more.

(Often they'll ask the question: Elbows?, Waist?, Ankles?) They can dip you in precisely....

She had about a 3 second freefall after the bungee broke! Did you see her injuries?

A few bruises from the water slap....She was able to smile about it afterwards, indicating she was not badly hurt.

Someone at the bungy site needs a kick in the arse though, poor maintenance. Most bungy cords are retired from service way before they need to be as a matter of policy. Never seen one snap like that.

Not a good idea to bungy in a 3rd world country though. I saw one operation in Indonesia, with the crew made up entirely of kids about 13 years old, in fact I saw no adults on the site at all. The gear looked pretty shabby to me...

Go somewhere where you know the place will be regulated to high safety standards.

I'll make sure I avoid a place that has you in charge of safety if you don't think that woman escaped death!

She survived the fall, wasn't knocked unconscious, didn't drown, able to free the lodged bungee, and swim to safety herself; and, that's without a single crocodile even being spotted. Doubtful they'd be in the area anyway with all the people and noise about.
It's all been said before, no sense repeating it here.

I'll make sure I avoid a place that has you in charge of safety if you don't think that woman escaped death!

Glad that the more than 10,000 first jumpers I've safely trained and jumped over my career have a different opinion.

You need to calm down, it was an incident, but the fact she survived, despite all the difficulties, shows that the situation wasn't that life threatening. Over reacting like the tabloid newspapers do to a situation, doesn't make it a worse situation than it was in reality.

Saying that, she still could have died.

She survived the fall, wasn't knocked unconscious, didn't drown, able to free the lodged bungee, and swim to safety herself; and, that's
without a single crocodile even being spotted.

All of which proves the point that it wasn't the big deal the news media tried to make it out to be.
The waters weren't quite as crocodile infested as the headline made out. Of course they want a dramatic headline. Seems like you swallowed their line.

Many many people die in hospitals. I suppose you consider them safe places....

I bungeed before I skydived or BASEd, but I don't think I'd do it again.....I'd feel like I had no control over anything.

Don
"When in doubt I whip it out,
I got me a rock-and-roll band.
It's a free-for-all."

If you had decided to bungee-jump, why on earth would you do it in a place like Zimbabwe?

she probably didn't go all the way to Zimbawe just to bungee jump. But once there for some other reason, what the heck else are you going to do for fun in Zimbabwe?

If you had decided to bungee-jump, why on earth would you do it in a place like Zimbabwe?

she probably didn't go all the way to Zimbawe just to bungee jump. But once there for some other reason, what the heck else are you going to do for fun in Zimbabwe?

crocodile wrestling?
Thanatos340(on landing rounds)--
Landing procedure: Hand all the way up, Feet and Knees Together and PLF soon as you get bitch slapped by a planet.

That's a retarded statement! Crazy

How so?. People dive off bridges, cliffs and high boards every day. Apart from having the bungy attached to her ankles which ultimately didn't affect her too much, what was the problem. The crocs were not a factor, with an infestation ratio of zero.

She got a few bruises and got wet. Big deal!!.

They are reacting to "what could have been". You're looking at "what actually happened"...no sweat on the put-downs from them, eh?

How about shark infested waters?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-y4CqHpAL4
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

They are reacting to "what could have been". You're looking at "what actually happened"...no sweat on the put-downs from them, eh?

How about shark infested waters?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-y4CqHpAL4

I get a bit of amusement out of "OMG!!! the sky is falling" brigade....

I'm only amazed I haven't seen the word "plummet" feature prominently. Although they usually save "plummet" for skydive related stories....

Even if it's OK to jump with a bungee that looks so worn out, which I doubt, It's advisable too replace it to not scare customers away. Even the first time I watched it (on TV) I was like "WTF!!!!!11, they let someone jump with that?"

Sounds like some of the rigs and planes I've seen over the years.:D
Some people refrain from beating a dead horse. Personally, I find a myriad of entertainment value when beating it until it becomes a horse-smoothie.

Actually, the way they build bungy cords, makes even new ones look tatty anyway, with a tie every 6 inches or so, the whole length of the cord, with each tie having the loose ends hanging out an inch or two.

I must say that one looked pretty tatty for sure. Having one snap like that should put that company out of business.

Crocs do inhabit that river, but no where near there. They stay away from rapids, and don't care for fast-moving water. When I was in Belize I watched Mennonite boys jumping into a crocodile infested waters on a home-made diving board. The river was extremely calm at this point, and I could see crocodiles on the opposing bank, not 50 yards away.
Trapped on the surface of a sphere. XKCD

That's a retarded statement! Crazy

How so?. People dive off bridges, cliffs and high boards every day. Apart from having the bungy attached to her ankles which ultimately didn't affect her too much, what was the problem. The crocs were not a factor, with an infestation ratio of zero.

I think he was critizing the concept of 'if you survived it, it wasn't that dangerous to begin with' attitude that came off of the original statement.
Your rights end where my feelings begin.

I think he was critizing the concept of 'if you survived it, it wasn't that dangerous to begin with' attitude that came off of the original statement.

Hmm....I think he read a bit much into it then. Diving of a high bridge like that with shoddy gear is most certainly dangerous, and I never said it wasn't.

My comment was aimed at the tendency for people and the media, especially, to make a meal of it, in the light of the outcome....

As skydivers, this kind of overreaction, and sensationalising of any type of incident is all too common, and rather boring, to put it mildly.....

Bungy jumping is actually pretty safe, and to see skydivers, of all people, knocking it because of one incident, from a position of ignorance, is rather ironic.....