skymama

We bought a travel trailer!

Andrea is an AMAZING part of my life, I'm VERY lucky to have won her heart.

Thanks, Honey! :)

I'm more lucky to have you; you'll empty the pooper thing for me. B|

I never though a trailer would be an affordable option for me but being so strict with managing my finances paid off. I didn't think of all the extra money we're going to need to stock it though!

Can't wait to pick it up tomorrow!
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

Well, I've had my fifth wheel for over ten years and at about 20 DZs. When I took a job in Houston, the rule was management had to live in Houston, but had a house in Tulsa. So, I lived in the RV for two years and loved it.

First thing I did for the long-term living thing was rip out the standard RV couch/dining set and put in two big man lazy boy recliners with a center table, a flat screen tv and a computer desk.

Am Army buddy and I are looking at some wooded property here in Oklahoma to pour a couple of pads as our retirement base camp.

You guys are SO gonna love this.
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

For you experienced campers out there, what do you wish you would have known when you bought your first trailer/camper/RV to make learning the ropes a little easier? What is really worth spending money on or what's a waste of money?

Put stuff back where it belongs or you'll drive each other nuts.

Matching warm-up suits from Wall Mart or even better would be those light weight, short sleeved overalls with naval insignia. Really classy. :P

ENJOY!

jon

Don't buy a bunch of crap from camping world.
Go ahead and buy $100 worth of eternabond seam sealer and do the roof seams while it's new.
Buy a new mattress as soon as you can. RV mattresses suck.

This.
I replaced my shitty mattress (Serta Perfect Sleeper Short) with a Tempurpedic knock-off). Took me almost a year to do so. I'm thrilled with the replacement.

Also, don't go crazy buying little crap to make it more "campy" but rather, spend the $$ for real stuff that works at Target or similar. It's amazing what a cheap throwrug can do vs how useless the spring-loaded shelf rods that never hold anyway.
Be careful about having a lot of stuff in it. A lightweight trailer becomes heavyweight really fast.
Trailer roofs leak unless you over-coat them; get it done now, before the nasty summer sun hits it.
Get some good jackstands and a wheel lock. That'll help the trailer rock less late into the night when the errr....."winds" are high.

I replaced my shitty mattress (Serta Perfect Sleeper Short) with a Tempurpedic knock-off). Took me almost a year to do so. I'm thrilled with the replacement.

not likely applicable to this trailer, but the smaller ones usually have a bed stuck in a corner.

All trailer beds are custom sized, IMO, but a Queen normal will usually fit in a trailer queen slot and only have a little extra length at the foot - no biggie. We did that on our camper - the foot of the mattress overhangs about 4 inches vs the mattress that came with it.

but the "full size" really splits the diff between a real full and a twin - for that, if you find a mattress wholesaler that builds their own, you can get a real full with a row of springs removed and then finished as normal for a good deal and it fits tightly and normal into those spaces. Locally, our place was called The Mattress Factory. (we had that for our previous camper)

we did firm pillowtops for both updates - absolutely worth it

don't drill holes in the walls if you can help it - surface integrity inside AND out is important. 3M sticky hanger/hooks are fine for all that.

Seal up the entire outside - water finds its way, even UP between siding seams (think windy days)

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

You should come by the shop so we can tweak the design.

I am not posing for a boobie shot. :P

you dont have to......

I am sure they can find one in the "the rack" thread....:P

(p.s. this is my first post this yr)
TPM Sister#130ONTIG#1
I love vodka.I love vodka cause it rhymes with Tuaca~LisaH
You having a clean thought is like billyvance having a clean post.iluvtofly

If you have not ever had to go through the process of dumping your grey and black water tanks I HIGHLY suggest filling your clean and unused tanks with clean water and going through the process, making sure you understand the connections and how everything works and that you don't have any leaks.

I lived in a camper for two years while working for Florida State Parks and learned the lesson myself as well as witnessed MANY first time and rental campers dump their black water all over themselves.

That, and invest in a few boxes of rubber gloves to wear while at the dump station.

Even if you have a site with full connections DO NOT EVER leave your black water valve open. Last thing you want is the liquid draining automatically while the solid hangs out and you don't want the smell from the dump station coming back up through the hose. That's a smell that will take a while to get rid of. You can let the grey water drain constantly, but when your black tank is getting full leave the grey closed for at least a few showers worth. Dump the black first and then the grey to "wash" out the plumbing.

Not a bad idea to spray out the black tank when emptying. You can buy a purpose built tool that hooks to the hose, but I just took a 3' long 3/4" pvc, capped the end and drilled a few small holes near the capped end. Put a hose connection with a shut off valve on the other end and had the same thing without walmart making $20 off me. (I don't have a camper anymore but I still use my homemade blank tank sprayer, with a few extra holes added, to wash the undercarriage of my Jeep when I come back from the beach).

Hold off on buying a bulk quantity of black tank deoderizer until you find one you like. Some of them smell just as bad as what you are trying to cover up. I liked the stuff from walmart with purple packaging.

One last suggestion...dumping the black tank is especially easy if your trailer sits high and gravity is there to help you, but you can't always count on it, and it seriously sucks to have to "walk" the hose filled with last night's business to get it to empty. I used something similar to the link below which uses a water jet to shred everything coming out the tank and pump it over a small distance and even up a foot or so. I was EXTREMELY happy with mine, especially due to the much heavier duty 1" hose that didn't break down as fast as the super thin 3" stuff. http://www.amazon.com/Sewer-Solution/dp/B000Z9G2D0 On the same note, not a bad idea to have a short length of dump hose for when you have a site with full connections or easy access at a dump station. that 30' long stretched out hose will be a drag when you have to "walk" everything in it all the way to the end to get it out.

Obviously most of my significant memories of living full time in a camper were about shit. Not the best memories, but certainly the most lasting.

Have fun and drive safely more than anything else. A little bit of wind is a lot of wind when you are towing a billboard behind you!
Killing threads since 2004.

most of em' are a Queen Short, which is a standard 60 x 75 size vs a regular queen being 60" x 80." I tried the Tempurpedic knockoff in the short vs full size, and I didn't care for it as much. I wish I had the extra 5" in the room, but since it's just "weekend quarters" I don't mind too much.

I also bought several small plastic shelf items so that the deep cabinets now have some vertical storage as well.

Thanks so much for all that shitty info. :P

Seriously, it really is helpful. Mark knows a few things but I suppose I should learn a thing or two. I will be relying on him to do all the icky stuff, but he reminded me that if we go to a boogie and he gets injured, it's up to me to get us home. Good point!

because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

I reallllly hate stepping on cat litter that the little hellions like to spread over the side of the box

ME too! I don't usually like putting the box in the bathroom, but that might be where it ends up being. They're not going to go with us on every trip, we were just letting them check it out because they kept watching Mark out there.

Were is your French Maid Outfit.B|

Mark's out jumping all day and comes into the trailer beat up and tired, and there's Skymama decked out in a French Maid outfit... Could there be anything better? :D
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Mark's out jumping all day and comes into the trailer beat up and tired, and there's Skymama decked out in a French Maid outfit... Could there be anything better?

Yes. Skymama's out jumping all day and comes into the trailer beat up and tired, and there's Normiss handing her a glass of wine and cooking her dinner. Clothing is optional. ;)